Kemper Profiling amp- "amp clone" beyond modeling!

Started by RicardoLove, March 02, 2011, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Sergio,

This is fantastic work!

Thank you for sharing this important Kemper Information.

jassy

Bill Ruppert

Elantric

And call me dumb - but I still have not managed to figure out how to remote control my Kempers Stomp FX remotely with a MIDI controller - even using an FCB-1010 with UNNO4KEMPER ROM. Should be pure plug and play - but theres always some "secret handshake" (like "Hold these two buttons down during  power up") required that I'm just missing. Elantric

Paul wrote>
Curious what effects control problem you are having with your Kemper. What, other then stomp on/off, wa/pich, are you trying to control. Paul

I admit I'm the victim of too little time in front of my tools - just need to read the manuals when Im away from my gear - I find when i plug into my Kemper I get lost in the wonderful tone and cruising through my 1000's of presets - while not fully grasping all the underlying user controls. Part of this is the fact that many of these controls have been a moving target in that past 2 years  - Performance Mode was only recently (too me) enabled with a firmware update - and many formerly non functional controls are now functional thanks to the last few KPA firmware updates in the past 6 months.

And I'll be damned if I can find any info, user guide, or  video that walks you through how to program Stomp FX on/ off in the Kemper and assign them to MIDi CC# control 
I'll add IMHO the KPA manual to me is 80% abysmal narrative on how wonderful the KPA is - with very little hands on examples  on how to perform the operations I need at live gigs. and if I thought the KPA Pedal Board and a KPA Editor were going to be MIA and not exist after 2 years - i probably should have put the funds into an Axe-FX+ MFC-101

I'm more visually oriented   - show me a step by step guide with circles and arrows on what to press in the exact order  - and i can lean to do this myself

I'm still trying to wrap my brain on the KPA audio signal flow (Thanks Sergio! )  -
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3331.0;attach=8809

I guess this may not matter to some  - but I find the "official Kemper docs  dreadfully annoying 

I hate to say it but the Zoom G3 has a better owners Manual describing and teaching owners how to use all the features

and i have my own learning curve - which explains why i often prefer to buy "last years older model on sale" - that has all the bugs documented - instead of being a beta tester - get comfy with the operation -then during a spontaneous moment perform a firmware update, only to find I have to "unlearn" the old, and relearn the "new" - but it totally interrupts  my whole work flow.   

I just need a week of vacation to get more time to use my tools, instead the hour here or there during the week.

whippinpost91850

I have to agree the Kemper owners manual pretty much sucks and I agree about being visual. 

Ive been using a FCB1010( with stock UNO chip) to switch patches and control effects on/off for allmost 2 years now and if you assign it correctly the LEds even correspond. I'm still using the old ripwerxs programmer to assign the PCs and CCs as well.

I didn't switch to uno for Kemper, because I need to control my GR55 live as well.

Im currenty working on a one box on rollers setup to be able to rollin my KPA, GR55, Atomic CLR, and FCB1010 pre-wired along with a mic stand and guitar and be setup in 5 minuits instesd of 15-20. 1 power cord, 13pin/1/4inch cable snake, and 2 XLR cablesnake  to PA  ;D 8)

mbenigni

Kemper dropped the ball early on by including a printed manual that was written around their intended design, as opposed to the features delivered with (then) current firmware.  Half of what's in there was only recently implemented, and the other half has since changed.  And now it can be hard to locate a single source of documentation corresponding with any given revision of firmware - there's a manual here, an addendum there, a MIDI spec there...  All of these should be organized into one document and zipped up with the firmware images when they're posted to the Kemper website.

And yeah, an official footcontroller would be nice by now.  I'm skeptical that it will ever be released.

musicman65

There is an unofficial Wiki that is a good source of knowledge for the KPA. Their forum is helpful at times but frankly, the average kpa user is fairly low tech and many are first time modeler users so the advice is all over the place!

whippinpost91850

Quote from: musicman65 on April 21, 2014, 12:29:43 PM
There is an unofficial Wiki that is a good source of knowledge for the KPA. Their forum is helpful at times but frankly, the average kpa user is fairly low tech and many are first time modeler users so the advice is all over the place!
Musicman, You are spot on there. Like here it's a nice civel forum , but as you say not alot of high tech content there. the WIKI is a little all over the place as well, but at least a nice attempt to saddle the info

Elantric

I suspect my main issue is I need to find time to just sit in front of it for a full day with the latest KPA Manuals and Addendums and a MIDi Monitor and a good MIDI Footcontroller, and baby step myself through the operations - and shoot my own training video of how a 2014 Kemper works - while I "unlearn" how the the 2012 version KPA worked ;)    

and find time to watch these

Watch the video above - Back in 2012,  My Kemper used to work as described in video above - but after latest firmware many of these operations changed.
I find from an operational standpoint - I keep wanting to " tap" the KPA front panel FX buttons expecting them to toggle FX on / off, but instead this just takes me to the stomp editor on the LCD screen. Individual FX on/off must be buried in a hierarchical menu tree - really annoying due to my pilot error

I also just got the Eureka Prom - with the goal of using my FCB-1010 to control more that just the Kemper alone ( a problem with the UNO4KEMPER PROM)

whippinpost91850

Elantric , please post how you like the Eureka chip. I've been using a reg UNO chip with my Kemper and Gr55 for a couple of years now with good success. Paul

mbenigni

QuoteI find from an operational standpoint - I keep wanting to " tap" the KPA front panel FX buttons expecting them to toggle FX on / off, but instead this just takes me to the stomp editor on the LCD screen. Individual FX on/off must be buried in a hierarchical menu tree - really annoying due to my pilot error

There is a system setting that toggles between one behavior and the other.  Unfortunately I forget it's name... something like quick edit or something like that.  When enabled, it will bring you straight to deep editing for stomps, when disabled, it will just toggle stomps on and off (my preference.)  I'll take a look tonight and see if I can get you the name and location of the setting.

Elantric

QuoteThere is a system setting that toggles between one behavior and the other.  Unfortunately I forget it's name... something like quick edit or something like that.  When enabled, it will bring you straight to deep editing for stomps, when disabled, it will just toggle stomps on and off (my preference.)  I'll take a look tonight and see if I can get you the name and location of the setting.

Bingo - I suspect I have accidentally redefined my Stomp FX On/Off buttons to  "Deep Editing" mode instead by mistake:

whippinpost91850

That button is in the system settings and is called DIRECT EDIT.

mbenigni

QuoteBingo - I suspect I have accidentally redefined my Stomp FX On/Off buttons to  "Deep Editing" mode instead by mistake:

It's easy to make that change by mistake - if you restore someone else's back up, for instance, it will include their preference and overwrite yours.  May also be true of firmware upgrades.

whippinpost91850

I fortunately have not had any firmware updates change my settings, except for how MIDI assigns appear. But is certainly easy to change settings by accident

Elantric

mbenigni

Woah.  That McMurdo looks significantly more expensive than a KPA.

whippinpost91850

Awesome, My bass player will love this as he collects old radios. Thanks

scratch17

I've been waiting to hear forum members impressions of the KPA Rig Manager. Nothing has been posted yet. I'd really like to get forum members' likes and dislikes on the editor.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: scratch17 on June 23, 2014, 05:10:03 PM
I've been waiting to hear forum members impressions of the KPA Rig Manager. Nothing has been posted yet. I'd really like to get forum members' likes and dislikes on the editor.

I LOVE it!

Elantric

whippinpost91850

scratch17

OK. I've got the info I needed. I'm going for it.

I have two Macs (iMac 2011 i7, MacBook Pro 2011 i7), and a PC. I use the Macs for making music and the PC for multimedia play in my home theater. I can live with the editor as PC only for now, but I agree, I want OS X support.

Should I get the FCB-1010 with the Uno upgrade, or should I wait for Kemper to release a dedicated foot switch?

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

musicman65

If you are using a GR55 or VG99, you could opt to set the KPA to follow your existing devices program change via MIDI. There are several using Roland COSM based gear "in front" and "in parallel" with their Kemper....best of both worlds.