VG-99 - midi tracking latency info?

Started by spikey, June 06, 2008, 08:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikey

Hi all...

Im new here and have almost decided on getting a VG-99. I luv the COSM sounds, and am an old user of the 1st VG88. My issue is that I can not find much info on the latency in using the usb/midi out from the VG-99 into a computers host (Sonar 7 PE) and then playing a virtual (VST or DXi) instrument from there. So the question is, just how IS the speed/tracking on the VG-99, using a relativly fast computer (AMD computer @ 3 ghz) (6000+ dualcore) and 4 gigs ram setup for DAW? Givin that Im able to run soft synths (vsti and dxi) with a keyboard controller at 5 ms, can the VG-99 play virtual synths with low latency (10ms or lower) inside a host like Sonar 7 PE ???

And what about directly (midi out of the VG-99 into midi in of a hardware synth) controlling a synth like a Korg M3, or Yamaha XS synth? Is the latency (midi tracking) acceptable going this route?

Im no EVH, but I do play lead at moderate speeds. Playing pads, and moog synth type leads with guitar at low latency while recording (in Sonar and Cubase) and monitoring this in real time, is what I am after here. Will the VG-99 perform these jobs for me, all things considered?

Thanks for any info here...  8)

added: My audio interface is a firewire MOTU 828 mk3. Im also using a midisport 4x4. I assume that controlling the virtual synths involves using the usb port from the VG-99, and not the midi out port-, correct?

spikey

Still serching for answers-

I found this- From the "Roland VG group" on Yahoo...

"My summary, from limited experience, mind you: OK but not great."

Hummmm... ??? :o

Elantric

With VG-99 I find the fastest Guitar to MIDI latency occurs with a USB connected Mac running the Roland VG-99 OSX USB Driver when driving Logic-x AU synths  - still average 45 ms for low strings and average 20 ms for high strings.

Test data of Guitar to MIDI latency for many types is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=83

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10700.msg77787#msg77787

shawnb

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Headless68

Real world view - it's ok as a gtr to midi device but simply excels at every thing else
I have used th 99 since day of release and also used the later gtr 2 midi systems (triple play - GP-10 ) which are much better (faster tracking)
I currently use 99 but for midi use software (non hex pickup) via midi guitar 2 and it's an awesome capable rig
For the 99 the midi to me is similar to GR20 but you also have to mess with the parameters (more than you would probably like) before you get near to glitch free tracking -  that said I did just use the 99 into a Mac for soft synths for a long time & was happy (but things move on :-). )