Godin Tripleplay

Started by Rorster, April 30, 2013, 05:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorster

Anyone here have any idea whether Godin is talking out their butt when they say they will be offering a nice FTP internal guitar soon?  I have 2 NICE synth access Godins which I love. If anyone can do a nice job in this regard it is certainly Godin.

Elantric

The guitar I saw at the Godin booth at 2013 Winter NAMM was a Godin Session Custom plus the TriplePlay.

I was told  Summer 2013 would be the first available delivery date
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5188.msg54701#msg54701

Watch Video of Godin with Internal Fishman Tripleplay here:

jayson

Hey Elantric,

Was the guitar you saw at NAMM a Godin Session Custom with H.D.R. High-Definition Revoicer plus the TriplePlay?

Cheers,

jayson

Elantric

QuoteWas the guitar you saw at NAMM a Godin Session Custom with H.D.R. High-Definition Revoicer plus the TriplePlay?

Correct, "Godin Session Custom with TriplePlay"  - thats what they were calling it at NAMM, although there was no "H.D.R. High-Definition Revoicer"

shawnb

Hmmm... What's the ballpark price?  Any idea?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

I heard $1100 list -  $850 street price.

jayson

Thanks ... I'm going to send them an e-mail to get some for info and will post back if they reply.

Cheers,

jayson

polaris20

Will buy FTP-equipped Multiac Steel! I've got to imagine that's one of them they're working on.

Rorster

Looks like a nice enough guitar, but I'm wondering if that knob located so close to the bridge pickup and strings might not find itself getting in the way of your playing.

Elantric

QuoteI'm wondering if that knob located so close to the bridge pickup and strings might not find itself getting in the way of your playing.

This Godin has the same " too close Volume control placement" issue as the most popular electric guitar in the world - the Fender Strat.

Many folks like the Vol pot there, myself i hate it because I'm always accidentally moving the volume down with my pinky finger mid solo!

The build quality of this Godin Session Custom is on par with the Godin SD series IMHO,
http://www.amazon.com/Godin-SD-22-Electric-Leaftop/dp/B001QCXRXS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_9

which is to say the Godin Session has a thin neck and was not quite in the same league as a Godin xTSA or LGSA  - which explains the $850 estimated street price.

Here is the same guitar at Amazon without FTP
http://www.amazon.com/Godin-Guitars-Session-036042-Electric/dp/B007TFZ5GS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_15

And here is a similar one without the FTP, but with H.D.R. High-Definition Revoicer
http://www.amazon.com/Godin-Guitars-036097-Electric-Lighburst/dp/B007TFZ5I6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_10

polaris20

Quote from: Elantric on May 01, 2013, 05:45:22 PM
This Godin has the same " too close Volume control placement" issue as the most popular electric guitar in the world - the Fender Strat.

Many folks like the Vol pot there, myself i hate it because I'm always accidentally moving the volume down with my pinky finger mid solo!

The build quality of this Godin Session Custom is on par with the Godin SD series IMHO,
http://www.amazon.com/Godin-SD-22-Electric-Leaftop/dp/B001QCXRXS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_9

which is to say the Godin Session has a thin neck and was not quite in the same league as a Godin xTSA or LGSA  - which explains the $850 estimated street price.

Here is the same guitar at Amazon without FTP
http://www.amazon.com/Godin-Guitars-Session-036042-Electric/dp/B007TFZ5GS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_15

And here is a similar one without the FTP, but with H.D.R. High-Definition Revoicer
http://www.amazon.com/Godin-Guitars-036097-Electric-Lighburst/dp/B007TFZ5I6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_10

I hate knobs too close as well. When I had my Warmoth spec'd, I got it with no volume hole, but with a tone knob hole (according to their specs) and put the volume there.

concordal

Warmoth now offers a volume knob option called "Delonge volume position."  That places the Vol control a little closer to the switch -- just enough to avoid the oops-there-goes-my-solo problem.

Back in the day, a lot of players used the too-close vol knob as a fader, eg George Harrison on "I Need You".  Much easier now to just use a volume pedal!

musicman65

To me, a long time Strat player,  having a volume anywhere but at my pinky with my palm on the bridge is like putting the gas pedal in my car on the passenger side. The volume is like a string to me...part of the instrument. I don't hit it accidentally (I hope!)

To each their own..

bd

Elantric

QuoteTo me, a long time Strat player,  having a volume anywhere but at my pinky with my palm on the bridge is like putting the gas pedal in my car on the passenger side.

In my case, too many formative years spent playing one of these instead.

musicman65

That looks like me from 1982! Thick and shaggy was in!

As far as guitars go, its all in what you are used to. No right or wrong.

bd

Rorster

Elantric makes another important point about neck thickness. I like the feel of my LGXSA's neck much better than my Freeway SA. I didn't realize it until after I had been playing that guitar more than my others. It kind of hit me and the more I play that fatter neck the more I just want to play that guitar. I would love to see them (Godin) at least offer a fatter neck on this guitar. After all, this is a unique new guitar venture and for a guitar company with their clout it would obviously be great for their reputation for being customer friendly. Hell, if they don't, lets see Carvin get with it. OK Godin. The ball is in your court. Make your cut, and make us happy!

Elantric

QuoteIt kind of hit me and the more I play that fatter neck the more I just want to play that guitar.

Glad you also experience the joy of a "fat neck".
QuoteI like the feel of my LGXSA's neck much better than my Freeway SA.
Last Christmas I got a Godin xTSA (that I mounted my FTP too)  that came with a nice fatter neck profile that I loved so well, i bought a 2nd one as a back up while they were still on sale for $580.

I have played the Godin Freeway at NAMM shows, and I agree - its too thin for my taste. A few years back I was seeking a 24 3/4" scale conversion neck for my Strat, but the prices for the type i wanted at were a bit high
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/strat_conversionneck.aspx

Instead i bought  Godin SD22 on a whim at Amazon during a crazy sale for $227 - figuring i might like the neck 

Nice guitar, but the neck is simply too thin! (hint - this is the identical thin neck profile they put on the Godin Session Custom with FTP too)

At NAMM shows, I head to the guitar booths and while everyone else is admiring the wood or the paint jobs, I'm reaching to grip every neck to see if there is an anomaly with a nice fat neck!

Its really stupid that in 2013, the bulk of the guitar makers all clone each others neck profile, and feel that a neck that is 3/4" "thin" is best! (#$%^&)

New Guitars I have played with a decent fat neck are most PRS SE models, Godin xTSA, Joe Bonamassa or Slash signature Gib/Epi models, or any PRS McCarty model. I once played a nice Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy that I liked too.

Of course most 50's vintage re-issue guitars built at the Gibson Custom Shop suit my needs, but I'm not that wealthy!

(by now some of you might accurately predict that I'm also not a fan of Parkers -those neck profiles I find too spindly and definitely do not suit my needs! Also Dont even talk to me about scalloped fret boards! My idea of hell is playing in a cover band where the other guitarist brings his new scalloped fret board guitar as his only guitar to the gig , but not yet practiced nor mastered the proper Yngvie light touch required to play it in tune! )

I know each guitarist has strong opinions on this matter, but personally I have never seen (nor heard) the benefit of a guitar with a "super thin neck" myself. And then what really irks me is magazine reviewers who make claims that a thinner neck  = a faster neck (?) "This model has a slim fast neck"!  (Ugh!)   and thus brainwash and train the younger guitar players who do not know any better and reinforce the rampant trend of  "thinner neck = better guitar!)   

Just so we are all on the same page - neck thickness is very different than string action. I have played 60 year old guitars with massive necks, but also had very good fret jobs and very low string action!

I have played in bands where I have had to play 8 hours straight, and in my case a guitar with a too thin neck = arm cramps in my forearm , due to my muscles working harder to maintain the more acute angle of my thumb to my other fingers , as I clamp the neck for barr chords.  After 2 hours on a too thin neck I must stop playing guitar due to the pain, and that was when I was in my twenties. Now that I'm in my 50's  - forget it!

By contrast if I had unlimited funds, all my guitars would have a thick meaty neck profile, at least 1 inch thick from the fret board to the back of the neck - from Nut to 16th fret like a 1957 Les Paul Junior.

If you ever get a chance to play a 1993 Fender Jeff Beck Strat, or a recent Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul Junior - thats the type of neck profile I'm talking about! These match a 1952 Telecaster, and 1940's Gibson Super 400's  - beefy neck  = better tone, stability and sound.

Where I live, the local shops never stock anything Im interested in.

I used to go broke buying specific year/make/model fixer upper guitars on ebay, after I would read on the internet that another owner of the same year/make/model guitar wrote " I sold that guitar because the neck was too thick! " Thats a good sign I might have to search ebay/craigslist for the same year/make/model guitar and then hit Paypal to transfer my funds!   

It used to be I would have to hunt down Ken Warmoth at NAMM shows on day #1 and hope he had a demo "Fat '59 neck for sale that suited me, then Id pick it up sunday evening at the end of the show.

But lately there is an affordable alternative that are both fat and wide
http://zarleywideneckguitars.com/
ZARLEY WIDE NECK ELECTRIC GUITARS

(ok rant over!)

But Im not alone in this opinion - here is link to a DIY thread at the tdpri forum from a guy from Chile who made his Strat Neck much thicker!

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/158684-if-possible-enlarge-strat-neck.html#post1789506

QuoteI have a MiM neck, I think is a modern C shape.....and the problem is that this neck is too thin to me, and doesnt gives me the right support to my hand....(i have relative big hand and long fingers...)
this condition provoke problems in my fingers and palm and I have to replace it....( Before Ive got a "squier" and never got problems.....  )

The problem is here in my country is not easy to find an especific kind of neck, if a sell it I cant afford import another one, is a little expensive and if a could, I have the risk that can be useless too....
and do it with a local luthier is even more expensive...

I read before it can be done...but is unusual and rare......maybe this is my case...

My idea is to go from a C neck to a V neck......capable of give me more "meat" to grip, rest and countenance...like my old electric guitar and my acoustic...
I thought do it with a clear wood sheet, glued with titebond or polivinyl acetate (common wood glue)....and in the irregular places (like the area between the back headstock and back fretboard) with wood sheet and putty for wood (I dont know the right word in english)....finally sand, tint and lacquer......

I think this option can give me the chance to make the right shape for me, without spend much money......I have some experience doing works in wood and instruments...
I guess it affect sound too, but I dont know how much....or if its better or worst.....

aliensporebomb

That's why I love that Holdsworth profiled neck on that Carvin I bought.  I have huge hands and not only do thicker necks benefit tonally but I can play faster on them - the problem is the ubiquitous super thin necks - the smaller ones where the frets are so close together they feel like a toy:

Carvin neck as viewed from the player profile:

Some of the skinny but not too skinny necks are okay but I can definetely relate to the "multi-hour gig hand fatigue syndrome" of some of the skinnier necks being a problem. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mbenigni

All things being equal, a thicker neck will provide better stability and tone.  But I don't think you can universally malign thin necks as causing fatigue any more than you can claim they're inherently "faster".  It all comes down to an individual player's technique and hands.  For the way I was taught to play, a big neck fatigues faster, and more than anything else, it's just a little distracting.  Of course if I like a guitar enough, I can recalibrate my hands to suit the neck profile.  But if I find a guitar with a thin neck that delivers on tone and setup stability (e.g. Parker Fly) that's where I'll gravitate.  I also happen to prefer a guitar as light as possible (again to minimize distractions) so in order for the overall balance to be right, the neck can't be too massive.  It's just a personal thing, though, and I wouldn't try to claim it's "better" or "worse" than a vintage instrument with a baseball bat.  The latter is just not my thing.

I think it's mainly a question of familiarity, and of developing technique to suit the instrument.  This would explain the fact that attitude about neck size often corresponds with the age of a player; players of a given generation cut their teeth when certain guitars were popular, and developed techniques to suit them.

thebrushwithin

I play 8hr gigs all the time, and the most distracting thing for me is balance. I like the body heavier than the neck, so when I strap up, the neck stays put. Fatigue can set in if I have to hold the neck up at a proper angle. Many guitars have the neck go parallel to the floor while playing, because of (poor) balance. I do like the balance of a Godin, when strapped. I do wish Godin had a custom shop, to combine features of their different models. A double cutaway, 24 fret, LGXT would be nice, with a FTP, 13pin piezo, and USB. I haven't heard their revoicer technology yet. Great company, and it doesn't surprise me that they are working with Fishman - always innovative!

Elantric

QuoteI do wish Godin had a custom shop,

In a way they do - but to get in, it helps if your name is John Mclaughlin.;)

http://www.stratoblogster.com/2010/11/godin-passion-rg-3-natural-friday-193.html

mbenigni

Quote from: thebrushwithin on May 03, 2013, 07:18:30 AM
I play 8hr gigs all the time, and the most distracting thing for me is balance. I like the body heavier than the neck, so when I strap up, the neck stays put. Fatigue can set in if I have to hold the neck up at a proper angle. Many guitars have the neck go parallel to the floor while playing, because of (poor) balance. I do like the balance of a Godin, when strapped. I do wish Godin had a custom shop, to combine features of their different models. A double cutaway, 24 fret, LGXT would be nice, with a FTP, 13pin piezo, and USB. I haven't heard their revoicer technology yet. Great company, and it doesn't surprise me that they are working with Fishman - always innovative!

I would buy that guitar in an instant!

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Elantric on May 03, 2013, 07:29:32 AM
An a way they do - but to get in, it helps if your name is John Mclaughlin.;)

http://www.stratoblogster.com/2010/11/godin-passion-rg-3-natural-friday-193.html

There is one just like that used at the local Guitar Center near me.  It's about $1399.  Really lovely wood.  I like that design but sadly the new ones don't look quite like that which are less interesting.

As far as necks, I need a certain width and thickness - I can adjust to variations but if I pick up a guitar and its too thin or too thick I might not get along with it.  Depends on the guitar.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

germanicus

I friggin love my Godin LGX-SA. If I could stick my JTV guts and an FTP into it ..... a happy camper I would be.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

polaris20

Quote from: mbenigni on May 03, 2013, 06:28:57 AM
All things being equal, a thicker neck will provide better stability and tone.  But I don't think you can universally malign thin necks as causing fatigue any more than you can claim they're inherently "faster".  It all comes down to an individual player's technique and hands.  For the way I was taught to play, a big neck fatigues faster, and more than anything else, it's just a little distracting.  Of course if I like a guitar enough, I can recalibrate my hands to suit the neck profile.  But if I find a guitar with a thin neck that delivers on tone and setup stability (e.g. Parker Fly) that's where I'll gravitate.  I also happen to prefer a guitar as light as possible (again to minimize distractions) so in order for the overall balance to be right, the neck can't be too massive.  It's just a personal thing, though, and I wouldn't try to claim it's "better" or "worse" than a vintage instrument with a baseball bat.  The latter is just not my thing.

I think it's mainly a question of familiarity, and of developing technique to suit the instrument.  This would explain the fact that attitude about neck size often corresponds with the age of a player; players of a given generation cut their teeth when certain guitars were popular, and developed techniques to suit them.

Totally agree; it's really down to the player's hands as to whether it's fatiguing or not. A lot of the more fatiguing thin necks I've found were when they were flat and also had funky squared off shoulders. The more C-shaped they are, the more comfy.

I'm a weird guy though, in that I enjoy buying guitars with very different neck shapes, for variety. My Strat not only sounds different than my Korina Warmoth, it's very different to play. So it makes me play differently too.