GR-55 - Question: Which Setup Is Best For Live Performance?

Started by jellyfishsquid, June 19, 2011, 05:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jellyfishsquid

Post deleted by poster.

Elantric

I find the 200millisecond 'All mute" during every GR-55 patch change to be intolerable for my gigs, where I can often be changing patches 20 times per song when performing in a 3 piece band. When I do play the GR-55 at live gigs, it's strictly as an accessory. I will use a typical  guitar setup with normal stomp boxes and guitar amp, but will run the GR-55 Output as a Keyboard rig - that is I will feed the house PA and have a floor monitor to hear the GR-55's contributions on an as needed basis.  I tend to use the GR-55 Volume pedal always assigned to GR-55 Main Volume, and use my foot to blend in the GR-55 PCM synths. i have another volume pedal on my Guitar FX pedal board which i can mute if I want to hear only GR-55 tones.

samandlyn

Good question, I struggled with this for quite a while, and tried different options.
Unlike Elantric, I don't change patches much within a song, so I don't have that problem.

My final  solution is: 1. main out to PA so all my synth sounds and modeled guitar go there.

2. Guitar out jack ( to which I feed both normal guitar and modeled guitar) to my effects pedals then to normal guitar amp.

I really like that this gives me the best of both worlds, and total control over all aspects of my sound. I then use the pedal to control the synth volumes, the GK3 volume switch is set up to control only my modeled guitar volume, and the volume pots on my guitar to control normal guitar volume.

Tip: make sure to keep the GK3 switch on "mix" in order to get all this to work .

Have fun !

germanicus

Im using the GR55 in a more supplemental role. I run its outputs to a Traynor K4 amp. Its a keyboard amp, so its more FRFR than a guitar amp and reproduces what you put into it fairly well without too much coloration.

Most of the time im only using the gr55 for PCM tones, but sometimes use the COSM sitar (which is great! extremely versatile sound). The dropout as mentioned above doesnt bother me because the bulk of my tone is derived from my JT Variax -> Pod HD500 output (also going into my amp).

I messed around for awhile trying to see if the gr55 could cover all the bases by itself, but didnt find the results as satisfying as what I was getting out of the Pod, especially when it comes to traditional electric guitar rock/blues sounds.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

mbenigni

I think Roland intends for the unit to be run into a full range system (PA or Keyboard amp) for both guitar and synth tones, but this assumes that you really like the COSM amp tones provided.

I was running the same way Elantric and Samandlyn described, with the Guitar Out going to a traditional pedal board and amp.  That's definitely the easiest way to get the best tones, but it basically amounts to not using the GR55 as a guitar processor at all. 

If you want a rig with a smaller footprint and faster set up, you can also program patches with synth tones panned hard left and guitar/guitar effects panned hard right (or vice versa) and then run the left and right outputs to suitable amplification - i.e. Left to PA, KB amp, or FX return; Right to your preferred guitar amp.  This has been working out OK for me, but there are some serious limitations.  For instance, you have to turn off all of the stereo master effects (delay, chorus, reverb, eq) as otherwise they will blend the two outputs together.

whippinpost91850

I have this same issue withthe mute/delay. It was pretty intolereble at Sat. nights gig. Are you using a guitar cable  along with the 13pin from the guitar to your amp?? This seeems like the only soloution. We play all covers and even on Rock in the USA (Mellencamp) there are 3 changes surrounding the lead break. I don't dance that well so it makes it hard to step on multple pedals. Take all sugeations ???

samandlyn

Quote from: mbenigni on June 20, 2011, 08:15:00 AM

I was running the same way Elantric and Samandlyn described, with the Guitar Out going to a traditional pedal board and amp.  That's definitely the easiest way to get the best tones, but it basically amounts to not using the GR55 as a guitar processor at all. 

Actually, using the setup I described, I find that on some songs I want to use only the modeled guitar and COSM amp sounds, so I turn down my normal pickups and just use the modeled sounds through the PA.  So in these cases I am using the GR55 exclusively as a guitar processor, i.e : using its COSM amps, effects and modeled guitars only. It's a wonderful way to get a bit of variety from your normal guitar sound and by using EQ its amazing how good it can sound through the FRFR rig.

Then, if you want, you can add a little bit of your normal guitar sound to that as well.

In addition if you add a little spicing of certain PCM sounds to some songs you change the flavour again.

The possibilities with this setup are infinite really. I won't live long enough to try them all !!!!!!

gregjon

Did you know you can run a TRS cable from the 2 output jacks?

I tried it and it works. I needed to go into an XLR socket on the PA mixer and happened to have 2 of the cables from my VG8-EX days.

These are TRS to XLR cables which are available at a lot of places.

Thought you might want to at least know about this option.

Use at your own risk...
(Disclaimer, in case we have some sewers around)

Gregjon
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat with GK3 pickup.
Godin Freeway SA
Godin Multiac Nylon SA
Fishman Triple Play
GR-55
GR-20
SUGS Selector
RFX Midi Foot Control Pedal
Ipad Air, Apps: Bias, Jam Up Pro, Flying Haggis, Tone Stack, Audiobus, Garage Band,

Jim Williams

I use 2 Tech 21 Powerengiene 60's modded with a pizzo horn and a crossover for a full range sound. This works great and it's the same as a keyboard amp. the  amps have XLR outs for delivering your sound to the PA. I found that you can use you right and left main outs as well as the headphone out at the same time. this could be useful for alot of things. unlike some of the other members I find the guitar sounds to be great for me and the patch change issue is not a problem with some good timeing and doing alot of the changes within a single patch. I posted some amp model patches in the patch section they are very tweakable and they are pretty good sounds. For the most part they don't have controle assigns I intended them for other people to tweak them for creating their own patches. Any patch I create is for the members of the forum to make into better patches. I will be posting some new ones based on some new ideas I have learned about making better amp sounds and sound changes within a single patch.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

blindjammer2015

Hi all. bringing this topic back because I have a similar question, and the best amps topic from the FAQ seems to be broken, and doing a search on the forum index only brought up this topic. I currently have a Traynor YGL1 as my main amp for my electric guitar, but because I'm on a low income, need to save as much as I can and get an amp that works well with the GR-55. Thinking of trading in my traynor towards an amp.. but not sure which one to get. Any of the Roland KC keyboard amps, or other recommendations? In a perfect world, I would have a second amp purely for the magnetic pickups, because playing electric through an acoustic or keyboard amp just doesn't sound as good... but the world isn't perfect. Thank god for GR-55 amp modelling! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Elantric

Fixed the bad link in  GR-55 FAQ

for recommended Amplification Systems for DSP Modelers
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3137.msg27121#msg27121

blindjammer2015

Thanks! I'll keep more specific questions on the appropriate board. Appologies for the amount of seemingly simple questions... so new at this whole business!

gumbo

Quote from: blindjammer2015 on July 20, 2016, 07:25:55 AM
Thanks! I'll keep more specific questions on the appropriate board. Appologies for the amount of seemingly simple questions... so new at this whole business!

Apology accepted!!  Forward your Visa Card details to Elantric and he'll take it out on you later....

...just kidding..   ;D

Welcome to the Forum!!

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

blindjammer2015

Quote from: gumbo on July 20, 2016, 03:51:40 PM
Apology accepted!!  Forward your Visa Card details to Elantric and he'll take it out on you later....

...just kidding..   ;D

Welcome to the Forum!!

Cheers,
Peter

Hahahaha. Sure hope so... because my credit card wouldn't have enough to satisfy him... especially after plunking down a payment on a Godin! Thanks for the welcome! So glad to have found this amazing forum as a resource... I'm diving right into the deep end being a complete newbie with the gr-55, and being totally blind adds to the challenge! I'm going to need this forum. lol

Giuseppe

HI. I am new to this forum and pretty new to the GR 55 and modeling.  I am loving the variety and the portability. I wanted to relate my limited experience for the sake of other newbies, though any comments from seasoned members is appreciated. I was dispointed with the GR 55 going through my bands PA. The other members actually asked me to stop playing that way and go back to an amp. The guitar didn't cut through and sounded muddy. The modeled guitar tones sounded better played it through a Roland Cube but then the synth tones could not be reproduced. Last week I purchased the Alto 112 (based on information from this forum). Currently it is available for under $300 on Amazon.  Noodling with it over the weekend I learned a couple of things. The quality of the amplification matters. My sound was much better and more lively through the Alto than through the band PA. I also started diving deeper into  the COSM amp settings a realized what a big difference that makes. I did not initially realize that all the amp settings can be adjusted, as well  as speaker cabinets miss and placement. These tweaks made a huge difference. Though I am still confused by pedal assignments, I am doing my best to keep everything I need for a given song in one patch. My plan for this weeks rehearsal is to use the Alto as my "amp". If it cuts through the band then this will be set up. For gigs the Alto has an XLR out for the PA and then I can use it as a monitor.