Audiobus for IPAD - app-to-app audio streaming for iOS

Started by evenfell, December 04, 2012, 05:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

Posted this question over there, but I'll be amazed if I see a conclusive reply any time soon.  That forum is a little scattershot - not nearly as well-organized as this one - and there's nothing on the Audeonic site that I can see.

So many moving parts - Blueboard, MIDIBridge, FreEWI, Audiobus, SampleTank, JamUp, MIDIGuitar... gaaahhh!

GovernorSilver

Seeing David Warman's reply, I have to say I forgot about MIDI Designer. 

Lemur and MobMuPlat are the apps of last resort ;) - the ones you turn to if you can't find another app to do what you really want.  The latter is better if you're already comfortable with Pure Data.  I have Lemur but haven't messed with it much - it does have its share of fans who promise learning how to make templates (even the scripting part) isn't as hard as it seems.

mbenigni

Thanks, Gov.  Nice having eyes all over the place.  :)

As I said there, all very confusing.  Lemur is expensive - I'll assume the same of MobMuPlat, and I doubt I'd use them more than once in a blue moon.  Plus, I really want to keep memory footprint as small as possible so everything launches fast and stays stable.  The number of apps I'll be running just to crossfade between two audio sources... seems insane.

I see that MIDI Designer has a free "Lite" version, so maybe I'll get extremely lucky.  I won't drop the $25 on the Pro version unless I know it will deliver, and then I'll be chasing my tail again trying to find out.

Amusing aside:  currently there is also a "MIDI Designer 12 Pro" version on the app store for $999.99.  Know idea what that's about.  Hope and pray I don't accidentally buy it.  :)

mbenigni

MobMuPlat:  FREE.
Always nice to be wrong.  :)

http://www.mobmuplat.com/

Elantric

http://mididesigner.com/midi-designer-lite-on-vacation/

MIDI Designer Lite on Vacation
Posted on June 23, 2014
Note from 2014-10-07: MIDI Designer Lite is back!

MIDI Designer Lite Icon
As of July 20, 2014, MIDI Designer Lite—the ad-supported version of the most powerful MIDI controller platform for iOS— is officially on vacation. The other light version, MIDI Designer 12, went on vacation a week earlier.

We've had overwhelmingly positive reviews for Lite (92% of 300 reviews are 4-stars or above). Our last review leaves off on a high note:

Last Review of Lite in Italian
Having multiple versions of the same App is confusing. Therefore, we will only be offering MIDI Designer Pro at this time.

Existing Users of MIDI Designer

MIDI Designer Lite has nearly 200,000 users who will continue to use the App, receive upgrades (simultaneously with MIDI Designer Pro), and be able to unlock to remove the Lite Bar. For existing users of Lite, your experience will not be altered in any way.

The same goes for existing users of MIDI Designer 12.

We think we've accommodated all of our users in this change, but you can always get in touch with us with questions, problems or encouragement.

New Users of MIDI Designer

Except by special arrangement (e.g., press inquiries, App giveaways), we will only be offering MIDI Designer Pro to new users at this time.

MIDI Designer Pro has received glowing reviews from leading industry publications (including DJ Tech Tools, Recording Magazine and Sound on Sound) and is used on stage and in the studio by professional and amateur music-makers as varied as Todd Rundgren and Shadow Child. Our first-rate Community shares layouts for top-flight gear from Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Line6 and many more.

===
MIDI Designer 12  $999
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-designer-12-professional/id685657174?mt=8

New customers are urged to check out MIDI Designer Pro. MIDI Designer 12 is only available for existing customers and by special arrangement.

Elantric

Seeing David Warman's reply, I have to say I forgot about MIDI Designer.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/davidjwarman

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=116815728409942&story_fbid=409741825781759

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/6513/using-midibridge-to-scaleinvert-cc039s

mbenigni wrote>
Hi, all. Are there any MIDIBridge experts in the house? I'm new here and I apologize for jumping right in with a question that spans so many different products, but...

I'm going crazy looking at the docs for various apps trying to figure out whether this is going to work. I don't want to just throw $9 and a couple of hours away, but that's starting to feel like the only way to really understand what MIDIBridge does. Then there's FreEWI and that's a whole different ball of wax. Maybe I need that instead, maybe I need both?

I'm hoping that MIDIBridge can take CC messages from a Blueboard, split them to separate output applications (e.g. SampleTank and JamUp Pro) and adjust the ranges of each output independently. The aim here is to be able to crossfade between JamUp and SampleTank with one expression pedal.

I'm kind of amazed at the hoops I'm jumping through trying to do this one simple thing. Am I missing a simpler approach? If not MIDIBridge, any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

dwarman wrote>
QuoteAh. Crossfade. MidiBridge can do the splits in StreamByter, but the Velocity Curve filter is Omni so can't do different curves for different splits. Nor can the Stream Byter rescale, say

B0 07 00-7f = B1 07 7f-00 +C

would do it iff 7f-00 were supported, but I don't think it is.

You should be able to do it in Lemur, maybe in Midi Designer, using scripting.

MIDI Designer now supports lots of the gear I own or am testing ( VG-99, DT50, HD500, Antares ATG-1)

http://mididesigner.com/community/

mbenigni

QuoteAs of July 20, 2014, MIDI Designer Lite—the ad-supported version of the most powerful MIDI controller platform for iOS— is officially on vacation. The other light version, MIDI Designer 12, went on vacation a week earlier.

So many reasons to be confused - I just downloaded MIDI Designer Lite an hour ago.  Maybe it got back from "vacation"?  :)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-designer-lite-professional/id492292826?mt=8
Description
Dream, create and play your perfect MIDI controller with MIDI Designer:
? Reviewed and loved by DJ Tech Tools, Recording Magazine, Sound on Sound and Keyboard Magazine
? Winner of Sonic Touch Gold Award for Best App
? Trusted on stage by veteran touring acts like Todd Rundgren and newer projects like POSTYR and Groove Boston
? A studio cornerstone for music producers like Shadow Child and Oliver for tweaking tons of vintage gear
? Used by musicians, VJs and DJs all around the world
? Platform for community- and professionally-sourced layouts for top-flight gear (e.g., Korg, Roland, Casio, Moog and Yamaha)

If you can dream it, you can create it in MIDI Designer.

Is MIDI Designer for you? MIDI Designer Lite is identical to MIDI Designer Pro except for one small ad bar (the Lite Bar, see midiDR.com/flyerLite). When you're ready, unlock to remove ads and go Pro!

MIDI Designer is the top choice for controlling ANYTHING via MIDI—from hardware synths to DAWs, lighting rigs to other iOS apps:
? Design your perfect controller using customizable knobs, sliders, XY pads, labels, panels and more
? Choose background color, texture and LED color for up to 8 banks of 6 pages
? Save, load and share your layouts and pages with other users
? Send and receive all MIDI message types, including sysex, NRPN and 14-bit CC.
? Connect any way CoreMIDI can: use Wi-Fi or hardware such as the Line6 MIDI Mobilizer II, iRig, iConnect, and others
? Use supercontrols and subcontrols to create simple and complex relationships between controls
? Full support for external hardware via the "Pedalboards Feature"
? Presets and other features make a mature, reliable platform for your future development

MIDI Designer is easy to use, infinitely flexible and customizable, and battle-tested in performance. It's the most-respected MIDI controller for iOS.

* * * * * dream | create | play * * * * *

The MIDI Designer Community has built layouts for popular MIDI targets, including:

? Akai: Miniak (= Alesis Micron)
? Cakewalk: Sonar
? CamelAudio: Camelspace, CamelPhat
? Casio: XW Solo Synth (XW-P1, XW-G1), Privia PX-5S
? Eventide: Pitchfactor, Timefactor
? Fractal Audio: Axe FX II
? IK Multimedia: Amplitube
? Jomox: MBase 11
? Kawai: K3m
? Korg: DSS-1, EX-8000, ElecTribe R (ER-1)
? Line6: Pod v2.0, Pod HD-500, DT-50 Series, POD X3 Live
? Moog: Animoog, Little Phatty, Slim Phatty, MF-104m Analog Delay
? Mutable Instruments: Shruthi, Anushri
? Novation: Bass Station
? Peavey: AT-200 Auto-Tune Guitar
? Roland: JX-3P (PG-200), JX-8P (PG-800), MKS-30, MKS-50 (PG-300), JD-990, VG-99, Alpha Juno
? Sonic Charge: MicroTonic VST (?Tonic)
? Sonic Potions: LXR Digital Drum Synth
? Strymon: "Trio" (BigSky, TimeLine, Mobius)
? A Tasty Pixel: Loopy HD
? ValhallaDSP: ValhallaÜberMod, ValhallaVintageVerb, ValhallaFreqEcho, ValhallaShimmer, ValhallaRoom
? Waldorf: Blofeld, Pulse, 4-Pole
? Yamaha: S90

Find out more: midiDesigner.com
Daily updates on Twitter: @midiDesigner
Daily updates on Facebook: /midiDesigner
Community Layouts: midiDesigner.com/community

Confusion Studios LLC Web SiteMIDI Designer Lite — Professional MIDI Controller Support

mbenigni

Ha!  I only just noticed that this as made by "Confusion Studios". Too apt.

whippinpost91850

mbenigni

QuoteI see that MIDI Designer has a free "Lite" version, so maybe I'll get extremely lucky. 
It worked it worked it worked!  Many thanks to GovSilver and David Warman - MIDI Designer Lite was the ticket!  Free, and only a couple of hours of "Confusion".  :)

It's quite a few background apps, though:  Blueboard has to be running of course, and then MIDI Designer has a knob reading CC 9 on channel 1, which it parses out to two other knobs, which send CC 7 on channels 1 and 2, respectively.  One of them is inverted, and I can adjust the min/max ranges easily.  I was astonished to find that SampleTank won't let you adjust the channel it listens for CC's on (only PC's), but JamUp does, so that covers it.  Lastly, I have to run JamOrigin MIDI Guitar to drive SampleTank.  5 apps.

One small step forward.  Tonight I'll test the hell out of it to see if it's stable, tracks quietly, etc.  If yes, the next question will be: can I use AudioBus to route all of this into Voice Jam Studio, without melting my iPad?

Elantric

congrats!

myself I have three iPads and often  spread the chores among all

maybe you need another iPad / iPod Touch to share the workload 

Although by now I would just glance over at my 2012 Macbook, set the ipads aside and focus on using Macbookpro / Logic / MainStage  / GP-10  / Line 6 Shortboard MKII and make music.

The old phrase comes to mind:
" Just because something CAN be done, does not necessarily mean it SHOULD be done :.

But glad to hear you are making progress with your iPad rig.

mbenigni

Thanks, Steve!

If/when I upgrade to a newer iPad, I won't be so quick to sell or give away this one, as I have with past devices.  Right now I couldn't justify the expense, and if I did have the money I'd probably buy a laptop, something more flexible.  For me, the whole idea with the iPad is to keep things really simple and portable.  When I consider routing cables between multiple iPads and other hardware, the allure begins to fade.  Already I catch myself thinking, maybe a GP-10 and a MacBook would have been a better core platform... but I'm still having fun trying to wring the most out of an iPad.

In any event, I do have an iPhone 6 I can throw into the mix if I really need it.  :)

mbenigni

QuoteAlthough by now I would just glance over at my 2012 Macbook, set the ipads aside and focus on using Macbookpro / Logic / MainStage  / GP-10  / Line 6 Shortboard MKII and make music.

Amazing, you posted this while I was writing my post - saying much the same thing...

Elantric

If/when I upgrade to a newer iPad, I won't be so quick to sell or give away this one,

I still own every IOS device I ever purchased - and all have been re-allocated to useful Audio/ MIDI  / Music Player / Guitar Stroboscope  / Network Media player tasks.
2008 Iphone 3G
2009 iPod Touch
2010 Iphone 4
2011 Ipad II
2012 Ipad mini
2013 Ipad Air

I make backups of my 2011 iPad system, and try to keep track of my "stale versions" of older IOS Music/MIDI apps  - because the latest version does not alway run best on older hardware 

mbenigni

That makes a lot of sense.  It always dawns on me in retrospect that I'd have gotten more utility value out of a device than what I earned in cash when I sold it.

But I get neurotic if I own too much stuff I don't use on a regular basis - particularly with electronics that depreciate by the hour.  That, and I always beat myself up about the extravagance of a new toy, and the only way to wrap my head around that is to offset the cost by selling something*, or to make someone else happy by giving them a hand-me-down.  :)

*This is sometimes catastrophic: before I bought my KPA, I took an entire basement of gear to a "Music Flea Market" and sold tons of items at fractions of their market value.  I do miss a few of those items...

GovernorSilver

Yeah, David Warman is an uber-nerd, much to the benefit of the IOS user community. :)  He's also on the iPad Musician FB group.  Gary Hall (inventor of Lexicon PCM-42) is there too.  Last I saw, he was interested in getting involved in the next Loopy project.

mbenigni

Quote from: GovernorSilver on November 13, 2014, 02:01:22 PM
Yeah, David Warman is an uber-nerd, much to the benefit of the IOS user community. :)  He's also on the iPad Musician FB group.  Gary Hall (inventor of Lexicon PCM-42) is there too.  Last I saw, he was interested in getting involved in the next Loopy project.

Quite a cast.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction!  (But this will always be home LOL.)

mbenigni

QuoteJust because something CAN be done, does not necessarily mean it SHOULD be done

Kept thinking about this last night.  Set up an amazing sounding rig set up on my iPad (and then duplicated on my PHONE!) with JamUp Pro crossfading to Sampletank strings, with flawless (seriously) tracking care of MIDIGuitar... but it's all just a bit too finicky.  Components (any of them, really) will stop working at random, without explanation, and require a quit and restart.  Unless I can make this bullet proof (and I'm skeptical), it's basically another one of the improbable party tricks I've been assembling for years.  ("Look what I can do!")  No practical application.

Heartbreaking though:  when it works it's amazing!

No luck routing all this through AudioBus to Voice Jam Studio.  Best I can tell, the latter doesn't support AudioBus properly - if it's loaded as the output app, it continues to monitor audio directly from the iRig Pro.  :(

GovernorSilver

Quote from: mbenigni on November 14, 2014, 07:07:17 AM
Kept thinking about this last night.  Set up an amazing sounding rig set up on my iPad (and then duplicated on my PHONE!) with JamUp Pro crossfading to Sampletank strings, with flawless (seriously) tracking care of MIDIGuitar... but it's all just a bit too finicky.  Components (any of them, really) will stop working at random, without explanation, and require a quit and restart.  Unless I can make this bullet proof (and I'm skeptical), it's basically another one of the improbable party tricks I've been assembling for years.

Are you on IOS 8?  This is Audobus's running list of bugs - I suspect some of these may be affecting the apps you're using:

http://audiob.us/bugs

Example bug:
Audio session doesn't restore after interruptions

Audio system may not be restarted after audio session interruptions. This causes audio to stop until apps are restarted.

Fixed in Audiobus SDK 2.1.3 (12 Sep 2014) and Audiobus 2.1.6. Third-party apps need to update.
See list of apps already using this SDK version.

I've read rumors that audio issues introduced with IOS 8 have taken a back seat to supporting Apple Watch, but I did see a new SDK released to developers either this week or last week.  At any rate, let's hope IOS 8 stabilizes soon for musicians.

Elantric

Agreed- Since mbenigni is using an  iPhone 6 - it must be running IOS 8 , and this probably explains many of the issues

http://developer.audiob.us/

http://theamazingaudioengine.com/doc/_audiobus.html

mbenigni

Not ruling out the possibility that iOS 8 is wreaking havoc - but I'm having most of these problems even when AudioBus isn't running!

Blueboard, MIDI Designer, MIDIGuitar, JamUp Pro (background audio enabled), Sampletank (background audio enabled).  Even went for all the higher-latency options (which really aren't too bad) but still had random freezes in MIDIGuitar, JamUp, SampleTank, and MIDIDesigner.  (Actually, it can be hard to tell which one(s) since their behaviors are so interdependent.)  I just think that their behaviors - especially in terms of responding to MIDI - are very inconsistent when they're running in the background.

(LOL that is kind of a lot apps, now that I see it spelled out like that.)

GovernorSilver

Quote from: mbenigni on November 14, 2014, 01:26:25 PM
Not ruling out the possibility that iOS 8 is wreaking havoc - but I'm having most of these problems even when AudioBus isn't running!

Unfortunately, IOS 8 has caused problems for a lot more apps than just Audiobus, including those that have nothing to do with it.

Elantric

Update on AudioBus
What's New in Version 2.1.11
Audiobus 2 introduces a brand new interface and a number of significant new features:

+ New Multi-Routing feature (In-App Purchase) allows unlimited connections and effect chaining.
+ Presets let you save and share connections and the settings of the individual apps within your Audiobus workflow.
+ Multi-channel input hardware support.
+ New hardware latency controls

Version 2.1.11:

- Added native iPhone 6 display resolution
- Improved error reporting
- Assorted bug fixes and minor interfaces improvements

Elantric