GR-55 - Derek Trucks Sound

Started by chickenslim, February 15, 2012, 06:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chickenslim

Hello to all

Looking for a Gibson SG through a Marshall Stack patch for playing slide.

Like this:

Thanks
Chicken Slim

Deluxe fat Strat with Gk3

MCK

Pause at 2:30 to see what he is playing through... No Marshall stacks involved in this great sound!

Brent Flash

I was system tech for Susan and Derrik's show on Jan. 29th at the Verizon Theater, Houston, TX, and I can verify (at least for the Tedeschi Trucks Band) he has no Marshall Stacks. He may use them when playing with ABB but not when playing with his wife.

MCK

Quote from: Brent Flash on February 15, 2012, 02:04:29 PM
I was system tech for Susan and Derrik's show on Jan. 29th

Wow. Much respect to you! Must be a great experience.

Elantric

For quite some time, the Dereks Trucks tone was due to using a Gibson SG Standard, into a 1965 Fender Super Reverb - but their tour manager reported that the Super  blew its Jenson speakers years ago, and the only thing they could locate for replacements on the road were four 10 inch car stereo sub woofer speakers  - these roll off the high frequencies above 2KHz, and provide a large part of the dark "Derek Trucks" tone

But 90% of his tone is his excellent phrasing with Slide.

If he comes to your town - its a must see show. 

I understand he uses Sewell  designed  PRS amps now - but last time I saw him, he still had his Super Reverb and the PRS amp was used as a guitar stage monitor for the keyboard player.

details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Trucks

Trucks prefers a pure sounding guitar tone and uses a modified Gibson USA SG 1961 reissue with a modified tailpiece and an additional 'stopbar' tailpiece connected to his 1965 Fender Super Reverb amplifier with four Pyle Driver MH1020 speakers[citation needed] but uses Paul Reed Smith amplifiers when performing with The Allman Brothers Band.[25]

chickenslim

Quote from: MCK on February 15, 2012, 01:49:11 PM
Pause at 2:30 to see what he is playing through... No Marshall stacks involved in this great sound!

I assumed wrong and I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.
Now for a patch to emulate that sound?  :)
Deluxe fat Strat with Gk3