Survey of Working Audio Interfaces.

Started by Elantric, April 05, 2013, 09:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

Quote from: Elantric on April 05, 2013, 09:49:53 AM
Survey of Working Audio Interfaces.
================================

Brand & Model : Alesis FX USB 8 Channel mixer

Status: RECOMMENDED for solo artist or small ensemble, great for small home recording setup.

Computer Type & OS: (Toshiba laptop) & (Win7), dual core 2 MB RAM, 2 GHz- nothing special

Computer Connection method: (USB 2.0)

Driver version: (unknown)

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: (Cubase LE 5- it came bundled with the mixer)

Comment: (insert your experience and thoughts here): This works perfectly, never a glitch. 16 bit, but I must have bad ears because I never detect any loss. If you pan channels L and R to send them to separate tracks in DAW, you can record 2 separate tracks at a time (woo-hoo). When doing this I monitor through a headphone amp, which allows me to monitor in mono. This mixer has no MIDI port and no USB input, but lots of other connectivity as well as inserts for a compressor, on board reverbs that are OK, etc. Zero latency monitoring. Knobs instead of sliders. Simple, not expensive. FWIW, I actually have no trouble just plugging GR-55 USB output into my computer though, and that gives a "true stereo" sound rather than having to pan L and R. I never noticed any noise from running GR-55 outputs through the mixer, but I figure going directly to the PC is more "pure."
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Spider

Quote from: scratch17 on April 05, 2013, 12:55:58 PM

Brand & Model :  MOTU Traveler Mk1

Computer Type & OS: MacBook Pro i7 quad core @ 2 Ghz, 8 MB Ram, 750 GB Seagate Hybrid 7200 RPM / SSD (boot drive)
                                 iMac i7 quad core @ 3.4 Ghz, 32 MB Ram, 1 TB 7200 RPM (boot drive).

Computer Connection method: Firewire

Driver version:  1.6.54199

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used:  Logic Pro 9.1.8, Studio One 2.5, Guitar Rig 5, Amplitube 3, Waves GTR, Line 6 Pod Farm 2, etc.

Comment: 

I've used my Traveler on Windows PC's with Cubase also with no issues. I now use Logic Pro on both of my Macs. The Traveler is a great interface.

I will add that MOTU can be powered by laptop. And it works as a sophisticated mixer without computer too.

Elantric

Quoteit works as a sophisticated mixer without computer too.

FWIW - the high end Focusrite Scarlett USB interfaces ( 18i6, 18i20) work as a stand alone Mixers without a computer too.

amplayer

Brand & Model :  Tascam US-366

Computer Type & OS: (Dell XPS 15, core i7, 16 GB RAM, SSD, Windows 8.1.

Computer Connection method: USB 2.0

Driver version: Can't remember.  Essential to get latest driver though

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used:  Ableton Live 9, Propellerheads Reason 8, Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig 5, Waves GTR

This is a surprisingly good interface.  Buffer settings are limited.  You have only a few choices.  However, at 24-bit and 44.1 KHz with buffer on the "lowest latency" setting, both Live and Reason report 49 samples.  For me, it's plenty low enough for live guitar use.  At 49 samples, my i7 barely breaks a sweat.  However, I have not tried any huge multitrack projects at that latency setting.
It does include a few effects.  EQ, Reverb, Compression.  They're nothing special.  I mostly don't use them.
Out of the box, things didn't work very well.  I had to get the latest driver AND the latest firmware updates from the website.  Once I did that, it has been flying quite happily.
I can't really compare the converters since it's been a while since I've listened critically to any really high end ones.  However, to my ears, it sounds  good.
The interface is also bus powered and still provides phantom power.  Cool.
One bummer about it is that after the computer goes to sleep and then wakes up, I have to unplug the USB cable and replug it to get everything working correctly again.  It is small, so that's not a deal breaker, but it is a bit annoying.

All in all, I am dumbfounded at how good this thing is considering how little it costs.

therealjoeblow

I saw the post on the previous page from someone using the GNX3000 as an interface...

Is anyone using a Boss GT-10 as an interface (only),  IE, not using the GT-10's onboard effects or models, just the USB interface portion.  If so, how well does it work with a DAW and something like Positive Grid Bias for live playing?  Latency?

thanks
TRJB

Elantric

The GT-10 is nearly 9 years old

Achieving low latency on Windows might be a battle, with better results on a Mac 

if you want to use BIAS Desktop for Amp modeling, enable GP-10's USB Advanced Mode for lowest latency
and USB Direct Monitor "Off"

Explained in the GP-10 owners manual on page 90
http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-10_OM.pdf

http://www.bossus.com/products/gt-10/downloads/

Of course since GP-10 is not USB class compliant,  it will not work with iPad+CCK.

therealjoeblow

Answering my own question here...

The (9 year old) Boss GT-10 works *perfectly* as an audio interface.  I'm using it in "Advanced USB" mode (Boss's default ASIO drivers) with Cantabile Performer (a simple VST host, much simpler than using a full blown DAW for simple live playing) to host Bias FX and Bias Amp and I have latencey down to a virtually undetectable 3.2ms, with no clicks, pops, dropouts or other issues whatsoever.  Sounds fantastic too.

Setup was painless, just install the Boss drivers, plug it in, turn off all of the FX and modeling on the GT-10 and away we go.

Perfect!  I can probably use the MIDI interface of the GT-10 to control midi functions on the computer, I haven't delved that deep, but I'm sure I can and will at some point.

Win7x64
Phenom II X4 955 processor @ 3.2ghz
8gb RAM
Nothing else special or noteworthy (all-on-board GigaByte Motherboard for everything else)

Cheers
TRJB

Elantric

Yohanes

Brand & Model :  Presonus Audiobox iTwo

Computer Type & OS: Desktop (MSI B75IA motherboard) Intel i3, 8GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10 64bit.

Computer Connection method: USB 2.0

Driver version: latest driver (Feb 2017)

DAW software used:  Reaper with cheap dynamic microphone (included Presonus Studio One 3 (Artist Edition) for every purchase of Audiobox iTwo).

I need a MIDI interface for my computer, my cheap Chineese made USB to MIDI cable didn't work since I upgraded my desktop to Windows10. Instead of buying Roland UM MIDI Mkii cable for around $40, I think why not an USB audio/MIDI interface such as Focusrite Scarlett 2i4? So I search for available brand/model in my area and is offered Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 ($205) or Presonus Audiobox iTwo ($150). I can't find Roland, iConnectivity, Tascam, and many other brands (yes I didn't search hard enough and I don't think I can get any better/cheaper than iTwo) so I took the offer. I read horror story about Presonus, and bad rap about Presonus older model: Audiobox USB, but since it was written many years ago and Presonus Audiobox iTwo is a newer model, so I think I will try this one.

What make me choose Presonus but not Focusrite model, because
1. They have almost the same specs, has MIDI I/O and two audio inputs; both can be configured as mic ins, guitar ins, or line ins.
2. Both can be USB bus powered and both have same big name AFAIK
3. iTwo is cheaper than 2i4
4. iTwo can connect direct to Ipad/Iphone

Actually what I really want to do with an USB audio interface is to hook up with my QNAP NAS (TS-653 Pro) to try to run a karaoke application, OceanKTV (I expect an USB audio class compliant will be recognized by the application and can be used). So this is more experimentation, and for me as long as it works any brand will do.

Today just I received the iTwo (firmware v1.32), installed the driver and the Presonus Studio One 3 (Artist edition) without any problem, still downloading lots of softwares as it's companion (not sure will like/use it or not). Configured the driver and run the Studio One Artist and the driver report a latency of around 5.5 ms.

Lots of things to test about this box, not yet connect to my QNAP (need to upgrade the QNAP to newer OS first which is I just find out still in beta version). But so far I am happy with this Presonus iTwo. If I have any bad experience, I will report back here.

Cheers.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

whippinpost91850

I'm thinking of getting a new recording interface. Any thoughts on the best one with lowest latency for under $1000... I am not opposed to looking at used

I have been thinking about RMC or Apogee any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

admin

On Windows OS - RMC Audio interfaces have substantially lower latency vs the competition

the sweet spot is a gently used RME UCX ( $950 used ) as that includes a full DSP with dynamics on every channel

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22177.0

whippinpost91850

admin

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on November 27, 2017, 02:04:32 PM
What about for a mac

Likewise, RME is among the lowest latency for Mac - although a few working Thunderbolt Audio interfaces compete well   

whippinpost91850

Who would you say competes well? How about Apollo?

azzurro

I notice that there's not been any posting in this section for a while so thought it might be a good time to get some updated recommendation and see what's out there.

In a previous post I posed the question:
"I've got an Ipad Air on which I intend to use Jamup Pro/Bias amongst other things.

My question being is the Irig Pro still the recommended interface for this or has something taken it's place
i.e. Irig HD or whatever?"

There were several recommendations at the time however due to life/lifestyle changes that were forced on me at the time I never got the chance to follow up.
Now I have a bit more time and space it's time for me got get back in the saddle and get set up properly so looking to see what options are available nowadays.

Cheers from sunny Aberdeen.
Dave

admin

The comprehensive ipad/ iphone audio interface review area is here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=212.0

If its a new ipad / iphone , must use an interface with a built in headphone output

carlb

Quote from: Elantric on April 07, 2016, 11:42:23 AM
The GT-10 is nearly 9 years old

Achieving low latency on Windows might be a battle, with better results on a Mac 

if you want to use BIAS Desktop for Amp modeling, enable GP-10's USB Advanced Mode for lowest latency
and USB Direct Monitor "Off"

Explained in the GP-10 owners manual on page 90
http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-10_OM.pdf

http://www.bossus.com/products/gt-10/downloads/

Of course since GP-10 is not USB class compliant,  it will not work with iPad+CCK.

This hold true for the SY-1000 too?
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

Quote from: carlb on July 01, 2020, 04:06:28 PM
This hold true for the SY-1000 too?

Sadly yes - SY-1000 is NOT USB CLASS COMPLIANT

so No use with IPads

kenact

Wow, in 2014 I was still using the E-MU 1616 and the 1820.

Both have been sidelined for years, because of lack of Windows 10 support.

2 years ago, I started using a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, as a portable interface into a Windows 10 laptop, with a dual core processor and 8 gb of RAM. It's been working fine, but I tried using it to record a podcast for a friend, and ran into complications trying to connect and use more than 2 mics.

I recently switched to a used Presonus 1818VSL, and it's been working very well. I've recorded a 6 piece brass ensemble, a couple of opera singers with keyboard accompaniment, a 6 guest podcast panel, and everything's running really smooth.

At home, I'm using a Tascam FW1882 (firewire). Even though it's technically not supported on Windows 10, with the appropriate firewire drivers, it stills works great. :)

For all of my multi-track recording, I'm using an older version of Cubase 4.5, which I haven't been compelled to upgrade yet.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

fokof

Interfaces I own:

UA Apollo Quad (Silver FW800) > got it the first week it got out
- Driver were Super unstable , they were crash fiesta at first but they got better
- Plugins are fantastic.
- Use it now at work mainly for reverb and FX

MOTU 1248 > Now my main home studio unit
- Sound is superb ( prefer it over my Apollo )
- Flexibility is incredible
- MOTU drivers have always been super stable for me
- AVB !
- Can be used as a Live console with an added router and an iPhone/iPad , the app works really well

MOTU Ultralite AVB > in my bass rack
- A very flexible and complete unit for the price/size
- MOTU drivers have always been super stable for me
- AVB !
- Can be used as a Live console with an added router and an iPhone/iPad , the app works really well

MOTU HD192 & 2408mk3 PCI based kit
- Has been my main kit since 2003/2004
- I keep it because I wouldn't get much $$$$ out of it in the used market and gives me extra AD/DA just in case....

AlakaLazlo

I've been using the (old) Steinberg MR816s for many years with mixed results. On the positive side, they sound great. On the negative side, they run on firewire and Steinberg's customer support is atrociously bad (as in nonexistent). Steinberg's driver support is also appalling as they bricked the MRs for OS last year by not providing updated drivers!

My MRs started acting up a few months back, probably as a result of a Windows update to the firewire coding. After beating my head on a wall for months, I finally bit the proverbial bullet and bought an RME UFX+.

I can't say enough good things about the RME. Works flawlessly. Their TotalMix software works really well once you wrap your head around it. Their customer support is excellent - as in (unlike Steinberg) callbacks the same day with an actual ability to fix issues! 

I have my old MR816s connected via ADAT, so now everything just works (although the MRs won't change sample frequency/bitrate without being connected via Firewire to a computer running their old software - so I just use them at 48/24).

Super impressed with the RME interface. And their reputation for maintaining driver support makes me far more confident that this was a great purchase.
Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

Bowman42

I am using a Behringer XR18 which defacto is a smal X32 a digital mixer, Works perfect for me on a 2012 Imac. And it gives me 18 in/out. It's very flexible as you can modify the internal routing completely.
Nice plus are the Midas preamps.
I also use it as mixer for gigs & with 6 AUX out you can easily create a proper monitor mix.