GP-10 MIDI Out over USB / MIDI Volume assigned to GK Volume

Started by Vaultnaemsae, December 08, 2017, 03:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaultnaemsae

I've been trying to figure out why there is no option to control the MIDI volume (CC07 on some other devices I've used) when using the MIDI OUT over USB function from the GP-10. I have a GI-20 and the MIDI volume is assignable to the GK volume knob on the guitar/GK which is very useful if I'm using the guitar as a standalone MIDI guitar device.

So, I'm wondering if anybody might know - is there some workaround for this or do I have to enlist the help of an additional MIDI control device? I've waded through the device menus and the manual without turning up anything very useful.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Brak(E)man

The expressionpedal used with FV sends midi volume , I can't seem to figure out if it's assignable to GK volume knob
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on December 08, 2017, 03:46:18 AM
I've been trying to figure out why there is no option to control the MIDI volume (CC07 on some other devices I've used) when using the MIDI OUT over USB function from the GP-10. I have a GI-20 and the MIDI volume is assignable to the GK volume knob on the guitar/GK which is very useful if I'm using the guitar as a standalone MIDI guitar device.

So, I'm wondering if anybody might know - is there some workaround for this or do I have to enlist the help of an additional MIDI control device? I've waded through the device menus and the manual without turning up anything very useful.

FWIW

Boss GP-10 Complete MIDI Implementation
http://www.joness.com/gr300/owners/GP-10_MI.pdf

I understand the GP-10 transmits MIDI CC#11 - but that may be only when the Foot Expression pedal is moved

http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html

11 Expression (MSB)
Note: CC7 and 11 both adjust the volume. Use cc11 for volume changes during the track (crescendo, diminuendo, swells, etc.)

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 08, 2017, 05:57:10 AM
The expressionpedal used with FV sends midi volume , I can't seem to figure out if it's assignable to GK volume knob

If you're fine with the expression pedal it does send midi volume.

- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 08, 2017, 12:41:00 PM
If you're fine with the expression pedal it does send midi volume.

as what MIDI CC# ? ( CC#7 or CC# 11 ?

I believe the GP-10  sends on CC#11

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on December 08, 2017, 12:41:44 PM

as what MIDI CC# ? ( CC#7 or CC# 11 ?

I've  never checked , I assumed 07 as standard main volume.

- Lydia Lunch

Vaultnaemsae

Thanks for the insights. Interesting. I assumed the GP-10 didn't send any MIDI CC as it had no effect on any of the synths I was using - of course they're all already assigned to CC07. I checked it with a midi sniffer - the GP-10 pedal sends on CC11. The master volume on the FTP sends on CC07.

I'm using multiple guitars with different pickup systems; GK3, internal GK, and FTP...so I wanted to get a consistent CC number for volume across different instruments from a similar control setup. I guess I'll have to look into a practical dedicated MIDI controller or some MIDI filtering/renumerating solutions.

Or I could create different Live sets for each device in Ableton and adjust MIDI control assigns accordingly.

It's rarely plain sailing with this stuff :)

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on December 09, 2017, 07:31:31 AM
Thanks for the insights. Interesting. I assumed the GP-10 didn't send any MIDI CC as it had no effect on any of the synths I was using - of course they're all already assigned to CC07. I checked it with a midi sniffer - the GP-10 pedal sends on CC11. The master volume on the FTP sends on CC07.

I'm using multiple guitars with different pickup systems; GK3, internal GK, and FTP...so I wanted to get a consistent CC number for volume across different instruments from a similar control setup. I guess I'll have to look into a practical dedicated MIDI controller or some MIDI filtering/renumerating solutions.

Or I could create different Live sets for each device in Ableton and adjust MIDI control assigns accordingly.

It's rarely plain sailing with this stuff :)

How did you connect to the synths USB to DAW and .... (did you use softsynths) ?
I never checked the CC# since I only use softsynths with GP
and they worked with the volume right away.

- Lydia Lunch

Vaultnaemsae

GP-10 --> (USB) --> Macbook Pro / Ableton Live

The GP-10 is then selected as the input device on the MIDI tracks.

Instruments include: Omnisphere 2 (Responds to CC11 automatically), Kontakt 5 (must assign), Sampletank3 (must assign), Sunrizer 2 (must assign) and internal Ableton instruments (must assign).

I have also tried standalone apps where available and the results are the same.

Brak(E)man

You should be able to assign both incoming cc7 and cc11 to volume in the softsynths.
Or use a midi filter / transform

- Lydia Lunch

Vaultnaemsae

Yes, indeed. It really just depends on the MIDI control assignment implementation in each individual softsynth. Some are more programmable than others.

Redvers

Gk Vol probably does send some sysex data. If you could identify it you could convert it using something as a middleman. Lot of effort though.