MIDI Controlled Guitar Studio

Started by scratch17, November 13, 2017, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratch17

The purpose of this post is to make and get recommendations on how complex MIDI controlled rigs can be set up and utilized. I would like to hear from other forum members for suggestions on alternatives for gear and setups.

I have both pure analog and modeling rigs controlled by MIDI. I will describe both as they are presently configured and utilized. Then I will indicate the equipment I see acquiring in the short to mid term. My rigs are strictly used in the studio, but could be used as live rigs as well.

This is a list of my current hardware:

Switching:

Mastermind GT10 MIDI Foot Controller
Voodoo Labs GCX
Ebtech Hum Eliminator

My Analog Amps, Preamps:

Mesa Recto Recording Preamp
Mesa 20/20 EL84 Stereo Amp
AB763 Blackface Preamp Clone

68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763 preamp)
Marshall DSL 401
Marshall AS80R Acoustic Soloist
Ampeg AX70
2 x Line 6 L2M
Mackie Onyx 1640

2 x Mesa Black Shadow 1 x 10" Open Back Cabs
Fender 2 x 12" (Electrovoice EVM-12S) Open Back Cab
Custom Built Theile 1 x 15" (EVM-15L) Cab
Custom Built 1 x 12" Celestion G12T-75 Open Back Cab

Modeling Gear

VG-99
KPA

Pedals

Weehbo PlexFace
EHX Epitome
Fishman Aura Preamp / DI

Digital Effects

TC Electronic G-Major
Universal Audio Apollos with 80 Plugins

Electric Guitar Signal Split / DI and Re-amp Equipment

Radial JDV Mk3 DI
Radial X-Amp
Kemper DI for making Direct Amp Profiles

Miscellaneous:

RMC Fanout Box
2 X DBX PB-48 Patchbay
Mamba XLR Patchbay

At present, I do not have enough MIDI controllable routing to integrate all of my gear, so I must use my patch bays to reconfigure my gear. I use the GCX to connect my two preamps, the Mesa 20/20, my pedals, the Mackie mixer, and a UA Apollo. I put the Plexface in front of the preamps and the Epitome between the preamps and the 20/20.

The Mastermind GT10 is fantastic. It is so totally configurable. With more MIDI controlled routing, the MMGT  could automate my entire studio. The MMGT comes pre-programmed to control my Kemper, the GCX and the G-Major.

When I used to play live, I used the Mackie / Line 6 / Aura as an acoustic guitar rig. Since I don't need this gear for my studio, I am selling it.

I have made Studio, Merged and Direct Amp Profiles of all of the amps and their cabs. The results are so good, that I have no problem selling the amps (except the Mesa Recto Pre and 20/20). I will keep the all of the speaker cabs except the Fender, for the analog rig in the studio.

I am also selling my VG-99 and FC-300. In the studio I do not need instant alternate tuning changes and my KPA is a much better modeler.

My overall idea for the analog rig is to have the flexibility to configure any preamp with any amp and speaker combination.

For routing the analog gear, I will be using a Sound Sculpture Switchblade GL which is a 100% analog signal path, MIDI controlled 16 x 16 matrix. It comes with software that lets you easily configure any connected gear with any other connected gear. So  for example, an electric guitar signal could be routed to any combination of preamp and amp with pedals in front of or between the preamp and amp.

I will be purchasing a Synergy Amps Syn 2 Modular Preamp with three or four modules for the analog rig side. At some point I will get a 6L6 based power amp as well, or potentially a 1 x 12 6L6 combo, with a serial fx loop.

My speaker cab selection will grow.

I am building a unique fully configurable speaker cabinet. It will be able to be configured as a 2 x 10, 2 x 12, 2 x 12 + 2 x 10 (split and combined), 4 x 10  or 4 x 12 cabinet. Yes, you read that right. The outer cab will be top, bottom and sides with a configurable internal frame and grill. Frames will have the driver configurations listed above. Threaded inserts in the frame will allow me to swap backs and baffles easily.

The back will be configured as either a fully closed back, one side open and one side closed, or both sides half open. I have jack plates that let me configure the cab in mono or stereo with 4, 8 or 16 ohm drivers.

I am also going to use a MOTU AVB 828ES interface to integrate my digital and analog gear. The MOTU software includes a routing grid that is essentially the equivalent of the Switchblade. It can have multiple saved configurations for the grid, but as of yet, MOTU is not making presets MIDI selectable.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Majiken

:o I am stunned just reading this, amazing setup and ideas! Do you have a website or recordings available anywhere?

Sorry I can't offer sensible feedback, will be following the thread to learn...
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

admin

For many folks here -

this is the ultimate MIDI controller for the gear we talk about

V-controller: a Universal USB/MIDI/RRC2 Foot controller for GP-10/GR-55/VG-99
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15154.550

maglich

Hello!

I was really happy to see this topic.

My setup is something similar to yours and I'm glad I'm not the only one choosing this kind of approach!

As an insight, I control all of the hardware that doesn't have it's own editor via MIDI using Ctrlr and a couple of midi sport 4X4

That allows me to change presets to hardware units, send cc messages and even control the gcx loops.

Also, all the audio signals go to two Roland studio captures (30I/18Out) and I route everything digitally from either a Daw (mixbus) or Cantabile.

Hope you may find this interesting!

Michele

scratch17

@admsustainiac

I have watched this video before. The V-Controller looks like a DIY version of my MMGT. Very nice project. I don't have the patience to do such a complex electronics build. I will be happy just to figure out my Cycfi Nu project for my new Telecaster.

@maglich said
QuoteHope you may find this interesting!

Thanks, I do. It seems we both have a very similar approach.

I use a MOTU MIDI Express XT to do my MIDI work. All of my devices connect to it and they are switched by the MMGT, which also sends receives MIDI from the MIDI Express.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

scratch17

@Majiken said:

QuoteI am stunned just reading this, amazing setup and ideas! Do you have a website or recordings available anywhere?

Sorry I can't offer sensible feedback, will be following the thread to learn...

No web site or recordings to share yet. Maybe down the road.

I am fighting arthritis and neural deficits in both hands, so I don't play much any more. I use my studio to record others at this point. The advantage of age is experience. That experience has improved my creativity as a producer and engineer. But age has robbed me of most of the joy of playing that I once was able to experience.

I give this site and its fantastically creative and knowledgeable members much of the credit for my knowledge of guitar technology.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R