Katana - Get latest Firmware and latest Boss Tone Studio

Started by gumtown, October 02, 2017, 01:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandvg99

After testing the V2.02 it now seem to retain custom chain orders. Those where the SYSEX issues Boss talked about. I'm back being a happy Katana owner. :)
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

CodeSmart

Quote from: rolandvg99 on November 02, 2017, 01:19:06 AM
After testing the V2.02 it now seem to retain custom chain orders. Those where the SYSEX issues Boss talked about. I'm back being a happy Katana owner. :)

This is great news. I'll have to upgrade my Katana tonight.  :D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

hsuru4u

hope this doesnt hinder gumtowns floorboard updating.

jmagg

Excuse my ignorance, but with v.2 can the Boss MS-3 send the Midi over USB to Katana? Or would you still need a bridge?

admin

QuoteExcuse my ignorance, but with v.2 can the Boss MS-3 send the Midi over USB to Katana? Or would you still need a bridge?

Learn about USB
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15763.0

Why cant i just use a MIDI Foot controller with a USB connection?

Because all MIDI foot controllers with USB connection I know ( as well as the Boss GP-10, Fishman Tripleplay, Line6 FBV Shortboard MKII, Boss MS-3 and the Katana Amp are:
USB Client (EndPoint) devices

The USB Bus requires One device to act as USB HOST Device - and those are typically computers 
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/49140/what-exactly-are-the-difference-between-a-usb-host-and-device

The USB Host port initiates all communication on the USB bus, the USB Endpoint device only responds when asked by the USB Host. For Details see the specs on usb.org.
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/

(And tell anyone you know (Marketing Manager's, etc) to study the USB Specification before they vote to omit the 5pin DIN MIDI I/O jacks from new gear just to save $2.00 cost.

jmagg

Thanks for the quick reply. So to dumb it down and check my understanding, the USB port doesn't send out commands, it is only for connecting to a computer. So, I would still need to use the Midi out and a third party device to get two Roland/Boss devices to talk to each other. And to make this even more complicated Boss/Roland devices use a different Midi implementation so only a few will work.

Am I close to getting it? And are all the devices in the OP of the link you sent Boss/Roland compatible without drivers or just the ones that say no driver necessary.

admin

Quote from: jmagg on November 27, 2017, 12:36:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. So to dumb it down and check my understanding, the USB port doesn't send out commands, it is only for connecting to a computer. So, I would still need to use the Midi out and a third party device to get two Roland/Boss devices to talk to each other. And to make this even more complicated Boss/Roland devices use a different Midi implementation so only a few will work.

Am I close to getting it? And are all the devices in the OP of the link you sent Boss/Roland compatible without drivers or just the ones that say no driver necessary.

Very few Roland  / Boss gear has the required USB HOST PORT
( the GR-55 USB Host port is only a USB Mass Storage for its USB Audio Player
The Katana USB port works as a USB Class Compliant Mass Storage device during Katana Firmware updates.

And Katana USB port  transmits and receives Audio and MIDI, when connected to the PC/Mac with the installed Katana USB Driver on Windows or Apple Mac 

Thanks to older efforts to allow Roland/Boss/Edirol gear to be compatible on Linux machines, Android smartphones / tablets with Android 6.01 or newer and USB OTG  / Host port adapters as well as Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone Black single board computers with USB Host ports work with Katana USB for audio / MIDI communication

Custom Roland / Boss compatible USB Host to MIDI adapters also work to provide MIDI communication for all Katana's - ( PrimovaSound MIDX-20)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.0

CodeSmart

So...if you connect the MS-3 5-pin MIDI cable to Katana 5-pin MIDI you can control the Katana to the extent Boss allows you nicely.

If your Katana does not have 5-Pin MIDI, you need a "controller" with two HOST connectors in between, since both the MS-3 and the Katana are USB devices (you can never directly connect two devices to each other).

This "controller" may be a Raspberry Pi, Linux computer etc, works well if you are a DIY guy.

Or....and here comes the biased part:
If you are looking for a rugged, dedicated plug-and-play, no boot time, the MIDX-20 controller works well and also opens up for Katana control way outside the scope of what Boss provide (it has dedicated CC# for almost everything in the Katana, incl. Sneaky stuff). The only downside is the price tag (due to low volume production).

pelaomedinaese

admin

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-100/updates_drivers/4b233e0e-e986-494f-9e1f-11ee766679b4/

KATANA SYSTEM PROGRAM (VER.2.02)
Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 as a set with KATANA series version 2.
How to tell the version
Please check the version of the system working on your KATANA before downloading the archive file.
Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.

If the indicators light up as described below, the system is at the latest version.
For KATANA-100, KATANA-100/212, or KATANA-HEAD
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "0.5W," the indicator for "DELAY/FX" lights up.
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "100W," the indicator for "DELAY/FX" lights up.

For KATANA-50
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "0.5W," the indicator for "DELAY/FX" lights up.
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "50W," the indicator for "DELAY/FX" lights up.
If the indicators light up in a different way than just described, perform an update.
When you have finished verifying the version, turn off the power.
* Don't perform the update if the product is already up-to-date.

Update history
[ Ver.2.02 ] NOV 2017
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
When TONE SETTING is set to "PANEL," after using the GA-FC (foot controller) to set respective effects to "OFF" and then again selecting "PANEL," the respective effects return to "ON."
Selecting a TONE SETTING for which EQ is set to "OFF" yields sound for which EQ is set to "ON."
When a MIDI Program Change message and Control Change message are received simultaneously, the Control Change message is not applied.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, all TONE SETTING Program Change numbers are set to "1." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set the Program Change number for each TONE SETTING.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, the SEND/RETURN values for BANK A and "PANEL" are set to "OFF." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set SEND/RETURN to "ON."

[ Ver.2.01 ] OCT 2017
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "KATANA Owner's Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
To make settings for added functions, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2.
A function to switch between BANK A/B has been added to TONE SETTING.
Please refer to the "KATANA Series Version 2 Supplementary Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
"LINE OUT AIR FEEL" and "CABINET RESONANCE" were added.
"PHASE 90E" and "FLANGER 117E" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
"SDE-3000" was added to DELAY TYPE.
DELAY2, EQ (PATCH EQ), and GLOBAL EQ effect modules were added.
SEND/RETURN is now settable for each individual TONE SETTING value.
Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible.

[ Ver.1.02 ] OCT 2016
Functionality Improvements
Support for BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA was added.
Noise when switching effects was reduced.
Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.
No sound produced immediately after making a USB connection.

admin

https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100_212/downloads/

Boss Tone Studio 2.1.0:

Update history

[ Ver.2.1.0 ] 2018/01
Support for KATANA-Artist was added.
[ Ver.2.0.0 ] 2017/10
Support for KATANA Version 2 was added.
Functions added in KATANA version 2 are now editable.
[ Ver.1.0.2 ] MAR 2017
Support for macOS Sierra (10.12) was added.
Bug Fixes
Unintended patch data sometimes being sent during a patch-selection operation was corrected.
Some keyboard operations failing to work properly was corrected.
Other modification to the behavior of the user interface were made.
=======

Katana Firmware  2.04:

Update history
[ Ver.2.04 ] JAN 2018
Bug Fix
When the POSITION value for GLOBAL EQ has been set using BOSS TONE STUDIO, the setting is sometimes not correctly applied to the audio.

[ Ver.2.03 ]
Bug Fixes
When switching between BANK A and B using a FS-5U unit connected to the EXP PEDAL jack on the GA-FC, in extremely rare cases, no sound is produced.
When pressing and holding TAP on the GA-FC to switch between setting either the DELAY or DELAY2 delay time, the indicator on the GA-FC sometimes fails to flash.

[ Ver.2.02 ] NOV 2017
Bug Fixes
When TONE SETTING is set to "PANEL," after using the GA-FC (foot controller) to set respective effects to "OFF" and then again selecting "PANEL," the respective effects return to "ON."
Selecting a TONE SETTING for which EQ is set to "OFF" yields sound for which EQ is set to "ON."
When a MIDI Program Change message and Control Change message are received simultaneously, the Control Change message is not applied.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, all TONE SETTING Program Change numbers are set to "1." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set the Program Change number for each TONE SETTING.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, the SEND/RETURN values for BANK A and "PANEL" are set to "OFF." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set SEND/RETURN to "ON."

[ Ver.2.01 ] OCT 2017
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "KATANA Owner's Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
To make settings for added functions, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2.
A function to switch between BANK A/B has been added to TONE SETTING.
Please refer to the "KATANA Series Version 2 Supplementary Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
"LINE OUT AIR FEEL" and "CABINET RESONANCE" were added.
"PHASE 90E" and "FLANGER 117E" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
"SDE-3000" was added to DELAY TYPE.
DELAY2, EQ (PATCH EQ), and GLOBAL EQ effect modules were added.
SEND/RETURN is now settable for each individual TONE SETTING value.
Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible.

[ Ver.1.02 ] OCT 2016
Support for BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA was added.
Noise when switching effects was reduced.
Bug Fix
No sound produced immediately after making a USB connection.

CodeSmart

Quote from: admsustainiac on January 31, 2018, 04:02:00 AM
[ Ver.2.1.0 ] 2018/01
Support for KATANA-Artsit was added.
I suppose "Artist" is a better spelling...

Ilgrigio

something for me goes wrong,
I try to download T.S. 2.1.0 for Mac OS X ,but what i get is T.S.exe   ???

Elantric

Quote from: Ilgrigio on January 31, 2018, 01:00:23 PM
something for me goes wrong,
I try to download T.S. 2.1.0 for Mac OS X ,but what i get is T.S.exe   ???

They often get these downloads wrong  - it should be corrected in 48 hours
Boss Tone Studio for Katana ( macOS)  - incorrect download type

https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-head/updates_drivers/d2b11e0a-45e0-4c61-8ea9-176908ad599b/

the resulting download file is
bts_katana_w210.zip

which contains

"BOSS_TONE_STUDIO_for_KATANA.EXE" =  Microsoft Windows only file

needs to be 
bts_katana_m210.zip = Apple Mac version
"BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA.DMG"

https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100/downloads/

Katana USB Driver for macOS 10.13
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-artist/updates_drivers/b6ba062f-7c1d-47fe-81ed-418a8b7b8ad8/

Boss Tone Studio for Mac  = ( bts_katana_w210.zip)
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-artist/updates_drivers/d2b11e0a-45e0-4c61-8ea9-176908ad599b/

vtgearhead

Doesn't look like they plan to address any of my pet peeves.  Rats.

Elantric

I asked Yoshi for option to "disable the Cab Sim" on Line Out. 

Ilgrigio

Quote from: Elantric on January 31, 2018, 01:02:20 PM
They often get these downloads wrong  - it should be corrected in 48 hours
Boss Tone Studio for Katana ( macOS)  - incorrect download type

https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-head/updates_drivers/d2b11e0a-45e0-4c61-8ea9-176908ad599b/

the resulting download file is
bts_katana_w210.zip

which contains

"BOSS_TONE_STUDIO_for_KATANA.EXE" =  Microsoft Windows only file

needs to be 
bts_katana_m210.zip = Apple Mac version
"BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA.DMG"

https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100/downloads/

Katana USB Driver for macOS 10.13
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-artist/updates_drivers/b6ba062f-7c1d-47fe-81ed-418a8b7b8ad8/

Boss Tone Studio for Mac  = ( bts_katana_w210.zip)
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-artist/updates_drivers/d2b11e0a-45e0-4c61-8ea9-176908ad599b/

Thank you!
You have me understand (not easy :-[) and explain it right :)...sorry for my bad and poor english

gumtown

FIRMWARE 3.01 is now the latest, with EXP Assign Bug fix for the MIN/MAX settings save issue

KATANA System Program (Ver.3.01)

Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 3 as a set with KATANA series version 3.

How to tell the version
Please check the version of the system working on your KATANA before downloading the archive file.

Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.

If the indicators light up as described below, the system is at the latest version.
For KATANA-100, KATANA-100/212, KATANA-Artist or KATANA-HEAD
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "0.5W," the indicator for "DELAY/FX" and "REVERB" lights up.
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "100W," the indicator for "REVERB" lights up.

For KATANA-50
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "0.5W," the indicator for "DELAY/FX" and "REVERB" lights up.
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "50W," the indicator for "REVERB" lights up.

If the indicators light up in a different way than just described, perform an update.
When you have finished verifying the version, turn off the power.
* Don't perform the update if the product is already up-to-date.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

https://www.facebook.com/groups/boss.katana/?multi_permalinks=753018488403544&notif_id=1547191138627629&notif_t=group_activity

JB Aubry wrote>
Katana Upgrading to v3.01 issues:

You can upgrade from v1, v2 or v3.0 directly to v3.01

To those of you having the flashing 3 red lights when trying to upgrade.

Here is how to solve it. I made that quick summary after compiling all the questions I got with the group, in PM and also from my youtube channel:

----------------------------
Main reason:
Probably your files didn't transfer correctly to your Katana amp.

Now, I suggest to you, to copy the text below and print it as a procedure to follow. And you could have my video
opened at the same time for reference. Please read it carefully.

----------------------------

So make sure you have downloaded the v3.01 from Boss Web site. (I bet you did this already, just double checking)

Then remove the usb cable from your amp but leave it plugged into your computer.

On your Katana amp, turn the POWER switch on while holding down both the [ CH1 ] and [ PANEL ] Tone Setting
buttons. (video sequence at 1:28)

The indicators for the [CH1] ~ [CH4] buttons flash.

Plug the USB cable into the amp.

The indicators for the [CH1] through [CH2]/[CH4] buttons stop flashing and stay lighted

At that point, either, the "BOSS_KATANA" drive pops up on your computer screen

or

just go to your "file explorer" (windows) or "finder" (Mac) and open it from there. You should see a drive letter showing your Katana there.

Now, drag and drop the 2 files from the v3.01 zip (a .bin and .text) to your "BOSS_KATANA" drive folder.

Once done, eject the drive from your computer:

With Windows 10 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 7
Right-click on the "BOSS_KATANA" icon in My Computer (or the "Removable Disk (*:)" icon) and execute "Eject."

With macOS / OS X
Drag the "BOSS_KATANA" icon to the Trush icon in the Dock.

Now, remove the USB cable from the amp. The [PANEL] button will start to flash.

Press [ PANEL ] button to start the update process.

While the update is in progress, the "EFFECTS" indicators light up.

When the update has finished, the "EFFECTS" indicators slowly flash simultaneously.

Turn the KATANA power off and restart it.

Follow my video it's all there but the above procedure will help.

Let me know on my youtube channel if it worked out. Good luck and rock on!

Shredboy1

Do you need all update versions installed before you install the newest one?

gumtown

Quote from: Shredboy1 on January 13, 2019, 12:05:01 PM
Do you need all update versions installed before you install the newest one?
No, you can update directly from any firmware level,
for example if your Katana has V1.00 firmware, you an update directly to the current V 3.01.

But in order for all things to work properly, you need to do in this order:

1:) update the Katana amp firmware, go to the Boss website and search Katana firmware, download the latest "System Program update" file.
It is zip compressed, so it needs to be expanded/unzipped until you find 2 files, one has a .bin the other has a .txt on the end of the file names.

2:) Place the Katana in firmware update mode, with it powered off, hold down the 'Panel' and 'CH1" buttons while powering on.
now plug a USB cable from the Katana to your computer, the computer will recognise the Katana as a memory device (like a thumb drive),
copy those two extracted firmware files from step 1: and paste (or drag and drop) them into the "KATANA" drive folder.
Now disconnect the USB cable, and press the 'Panel' button on the Katana, some blinky lights will start happening, wait for 1 minute or until the lights are doing a steady blinking green pattern, power off the Katana, wait 10 seconds, power on the Katana.
Your Katana should now have the latest firmware installed.

3:) The USB driver may need to be updated, it will if you were on firmware 1. Depending on your operating system, Windows 10 only requires the USB plugged into the Katana (powered on), previous Windows or Mac require the driver file downloaded from the same Boss site as above, and installed.
If a previous version of the driver is installed, uninstall it first.

4:) Boss Tone Studio requires updating to version 3.00, uninstall the old version first, then download (from the same Boss site as above) "Boss Tone Studio 3.00", and run the installer. You may need to run this (and above drivers)  as Administrator if your system has tight permissions imposed.

5:) back up all your Katana amp channels setting either in Boss Tone Studio (BTS) or Katana FxFloorBoard editor, then perform a "Factory Reset", this will fix any glitches from channels after the update.
Then reload your channels back into the Katana.

6:) enjoy !! 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

new firmware again

Update history
[ Ver.3.02 ] JAN 2019
Bug Fixes
Popping noise occurs when TONE SETTING is switched.
The SYSTEM parameter set in BOSS TONE STUDIO is initialized when KATANA version 2 is updated to version 3.