GT-100 & Glab midi looper

Started by bobc2112, March 23, 2017, 02:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobc2112

I'm struggling to get my GT100 to send the desired midi message to the Glab midi x2 looper I've just bought to activate one or both loops to bring in my OD and/or treble booster. Does anyone know a) are these two compatible? and b) If so,  what settings do I need to alter on my GT100?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

gumtown

I found this comment in a customer product review.

QuoteGood but inaccurate information in manual
Total 
features
quality
handling

Simoco, 15.07.2014

This looper has been very good and operated faultlessly since it arrived 7 months ago. The only criticism I have is that the MIDI implementation information in the manual was inaccurate and whilst I could work out what the designer had in mind, for some this could be a show stopper. (Basically the CC numbers were out by one)... Once I got over this hurdle, it has been absolutely rock solid.

Not sure on exactly how you want to achieve the switching, but one bit of info you should know about the cc# sent from the GT-100 pedals.
The only internal pedals that send cc# are
CTL and PHRASE LOOP - these send cc# 127 (on) when pressed and cc#0 (off) when released
EXP Switch - sends cc# as per on/off state (toggled)
EXP Pedal - sends a variable array of cc# data (0 and heal ~ 127 at toe)
External sub CTL1/2 - send cc# data depending on the switch type (latched vs non-latched)

the other GT-100 pedals only send Patch Change data (P.C.).

cc# can not be sent on patch change.

I would say your best bet is to use the two external sub CTL pedals, get ones that are latched.
The GT-100 midi TX channel needs to match the Looper Box midi channel.
Switch off the GT-100 guitar to Midi if you are not using that function, it may confuse the Looper box.

as found in the review, the midi cc# the GT-100 sends, the Looper might be 'off by 1'.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

bobc2112

Thanks for the reply, Gumtown! I used to use a Wobo midi looper. This was connected between the guitar and front of amp, with an OD in it's loop. I connected the GT-100 midi out to the Wobo midi in, then it was as simple as selecting a patch on the GT-100, say 5-1, Clean, and making sure the loop was not activated. Then I would step on patch 5-2, press and hold the 'loop on' buttonon the Wobo. The Wobo would remember this, and would switch the loop on every time I selected 5-2, then off when I went back to 5-1. On reading the detail on the Glab, it appeared that this unit would perform the same function, but with an extra loop for my treble booster! If I scroll through the patches I don't use, the Glab switches the loop(s) on and off, so I know the midi signal is reaching the Glab, it's just how to assign the desired loop on/off status to the desired patch?

gumtown

According to the Glab midi x2 looper user manual

leave DS1 and DS2 'off'
If you use control change (cc#)
then set the GT-100 to send only these ones
Control Change  07, 80, 81, 82, 83, 85

the LOOP will only respond to these program changes (Patch change),
Prog Change X 1-4,10-14,20-24,30-34,40-44,100-101 (GT-100 patch numbers are read by dividing the P.C. by 4,
so midi patch 10-14 are GT-100 patch U3-3 to U4-3

make sure the MIDI LOOP channel switch is set to the same midi channel as the GT-100 midi Tx.
and the GT-100 midi P.C. out is enabled.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

bobc2112

I'm still struggling to get it to work. I believe its a 'program change' I want to send to the looper, in that when I change patches on the GT-100, the loops on the G Lab midi looper will switch on and off as desired. For example, on the GT-100, Patch 5-1 is clean, therefore both loops off; 5-2 is just amp distortion so again, both loops off. 5-3 is amp distortion + OD, therefore I want loop 2 to come on. 5-4 is amp distortion, OD, AND treble booster driving the OD, so I want loops 1 & 2 to come on. MIDI confuses the crap out of me!!

bobc2112

OK, I've played about with the GLab midi looper, and have found that it will only respond to the midi signal when sent from specific channels. To explain a bit more clearly, it goes a bit like this:-

patch 1.1 both loops off
patch 1.2 loop one on
patch 1.3 loop two on
patch 1.4 both loops on
Patch 2.1 through to 3.2 NOTHING happens, no switching occurs
patch 3.3 both loops off
patch 3.4 loop one on
patch 4.1 loop two on
patch 4.2 both loops on
patch 4.3 through to 5.4 NOTHING happens, no switching occurs
patch 6.1 both loops off
patch 6.2 loop one on
patch 6.3 loop two on
patch 6.4 both loops on
patch 7.1 through to 8.2 NOTHING happens, no switching occurs
Patch 8.3 both loops off
patch 8.4 loop one on
patch 9.1 loop two on
patch 9.2 both loops on

so on and so forth.......so it appear that the action I want starts at Patch 1.1, finishes at 1.4, then there's a gap of 6 patches before it starts again at patch 3.3.
My problem is that I have various banks on my GT-100 set up for different amps, so for example I actually want patch 5.1 to be 'both loops off, 5.2 both loops off, 5.3 loop two on, 5.4, both loops on to control my JCM800, but as indicated above, NOTHING happens on the midi looper when these patches are selected. SO, my question is refined to :-

Can I change the midi signal that a particular patch transmits in order to get the looper to react as I want it to, OR am I resigned to changing all my patch and bank settings to random mid bank, and therefore counterintuitive, settings?

Gumtown, I'm ever grateful for the goldmine of advice etc you post on this forum, thank you, and to all contributors who freely give their time to help techno-phobes such as myself!!!

Elantric

Quoteso it appear that the action I want starts at Patch 1.1, finishes at 1.4, then there's a gap of 6 patches before it starts again at patch 3.3.

Thats how the GLAB MIDi X2 Looper is designed

Glab midi x2 looper user manual
http://www.glab.com.pl/download/um_m4l_14062011.pdf

Gumtown wrote>
QuoteAccording to the Glab midi x2 looper user manual

leave DS1 and DS2 'off'
If you use control change (cc#)
then set the GT-100 to send only these ones
Control Change  07, 80, 81, 82, 83, 85

the LOOP will only respond to these program changes (Patch change),
Prog Change X 1-4,10-14,20-24,30-34,40-44,100-101 (GT-100 patch numbers are read by dividing the P.C. by 4,
so midi patch 10-14 are GT-100 patch U3-3 to U4-3

make sure the MIDI LOOP channel switch is set to the same midi channel as the GT-100 midi Tx.
and the GT-100 midi P.C. out is enabled.

bobc2112

So does that mean I can't change the action of the looper to line up with the patches I want on the GT-100 then by changing the PC command transmitted from the GT-100?

Elantric

QuoteSo does that mean I can't change the action of the looper to line up with the patches I want on the GT-100 then by changing the PC command transmitted from the GT-100?
correct  - might try transmitting MIDI CC# (80, 81, 82, 83 ) to control for 4 loops  - but the problem will remain on the GT-100 once you enable MIDI transmission   
- how to strip off or disable the Patch Change commands that will always be issued by GT-100

bobc2112

That manual is for the 4 loop model Elantric, mine is the 2 loop model. Looks like I might be sending it back then if I can't assign the loop status to the GT-100 patch I want. Bugger, looked like exactly what I needed to.....

gumtown

The only options you have are:
1)  insert a "magic" midi device between the GT-100 and LOOPER which can re-assign patch change numbers.
such as http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

2)  switch "off" the GT-100 patch change output (system midi menu), and use CTL pedal cc# to control the LOOPER,
but this will only give you manual pedal control over the looper switching.

otherwise - out of luck, make do with how it is.  ;)

bobc2112

Thanks again for your replies chaps. It's a shame I can't change the order of the GT-100 patches to go 1.1-1.4 then 3.3-4.2 etc. My WOBO midi looper unit was perfect, just switch the loop on or off to suit the patch, and it memorised it. It only had one loop though, need two now. I suppose my search must continue.....

Elantric

bobc2112

Do you think it would work as a 'magic box' between the GT-100 and the NUX switcher, or GLab to do what I want as described in this thread?

gumtown

Why not use a second WOBO midi looper, all you need is a midi splitter box to run 2 WOBO's midi in parallel.
And each one can be programmed to change on any patch.

gumtown

Looks like the WOBO has a midi thru, so if you had two of them, you just chain them together, no midi splitter required.

bobc2112

They don't make the WOBO anymore. I bought a WOBO midi looper with 4 loops ages ago, put it away, then when I dusted it off to use it, it's not working unfortunately. If I could get that fixed, I'd be sorted!