Sy-300 and Softstep 2 controller

Started by lumena, February 01, 2017, 08:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumena

Just checking to see if anyone is using this combo. I am really needing to get a better midi controller and I like the features of the softstep 2 but would love to hear if there are issues before I commit to the softstep 2.

thanks,
L>

dontsaymuch

I'm using it and have no issues. It simply works. You need a KMI Expander to get MIDI out of the Softstep. The Softstep even gives you a second expression pedal. I'm using two, one for direct level, one for synth level.
What I don't like: Sy-300 has only 6 assignable MIDI controllers per patch, so half of the Softstep pads are idle. I could use twice as much.

GuitarBuilder

+1

Don't forget to get the KMI Expander.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

ElliotG

dontsaymuch,

Good to hear the Softstep 2 is working well for you, I'm considering the same combination.  Looking at the SY300 MIDI implementation, it appears you could use your 6 "idle" switches to change patches.   Additionally, looking at the advanced editor for the soft-step, it looks like you could use the advanced editor to create setlists, or to increment through patches using the modlines features.

I'm still very new to the SY300.  It will take me some time before I'm ready to add the softstep 2 but it looks like a very capable controller.

-Elliot

CodeSmart

The SS2 is a very light-weight and is easy to pack and transport. I like it.  :D

As an alternative to the expander, a MIDX-20 would allow controlling both the SY-300 and a Katana amp (or some other USB device) simultaneously using the SS2 controller.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!