GT-100 Has anyone made an Allan Holdsworth lead patch?

Started by Frooby, November 17, 2016, 03:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frooby

Hi, new owner of GT-100 and Allan Holdsworth fan here. Has anyone managed to make a patch for the GT-100 that simulates the lead sound of Allan Holdsworth?

Here's an example of someone who made a software patch for S-Gear - https://youtu.be/Bpmc2jcAEdI?t=6m17s (starts at 6 mins 17s into video)

And here's the sound of the man himself -

I've tried to get that tone on the GT-100 but not come close to it.

Steeve108

yeah you can achieve this kind of tone easily on Gt100 but you need to understand first how Allan was making his perfect tone (both Clean & Lead)
Allan was doing so using a UD Stomp Octo Delay machine N later on with a simple Magic Stomp (actually several units)
For his Cleanish Keyboard Texture Like tone you need to combine tons of Delay N Chorus or actually modulated delays slightly time staggered im not gonna give his settings here since you have such infos in the Yamaha UD Stomp documentation available online 4 DWN ...it is just to 2 give a basic overview 4 the folks out there searching for such details on his Stellar Tone ^^
For his Lead tooones it's the same kind of idea using some sort of Doubling short delay combined with few longer delays skillfully calculated
The type of Drive is kinda Mesa Vintage Rectifier or Soldano (or such) with tons of Low-Mids N a huge sustain that you can achieve with some Komp + a Drive Stomp such as a Klon Centaur or other Warm Boost in front of the Amp-Sim in the Gt100 in order not to apply to much Gain on just one Amp block (some sort of gain stagging)
You must take advantage of the Horse Power Dual Processing capability of the Gt100 to slightly enhance the stereo image with a Spread effect on the Mixer block ...you can apply some Assign on this Spread controlled with the Input level (it needs some experimentation to find the right setting) or even the Int. Pedal which is more subtle in its way to modify parameters on the fly
Im doing this Lead tone in my unit with a Sub-Delay (FX1) going into a Pan (FX2) on one channel to complexify the stereo image N a Reg-Chorus + Plate-Rv on the other channel (lower one) to enhance widen the tone N get this huge very characteristic sustain ...all this blended into another Dual kinda Ping-Pong Delay (Dual //) i use my E530 rack preamp on lower Ch. & a Soldano or BG Crunch on the upper Ch. with a Fat Drive block just before the Divider block N of course a Komp at the beginning of the Chain +++ several Assign Functions to control various Params (Low-Cut, Spread,Drive,etc)
Hope this will help coz i've been wondering 4 such infos 4 ages before being able to get the whole picture ^^