RR - Strat detached wires

Started by Smokey5159, November 06, 2016, 12:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey5159

Hi fellas,
I have a little issue with my RR GC-1 that I have just acquired. I bought this second hand from a guy who played it once, thought it too complex for him and stored it away in a cupboard for 12 months, and then sold it to me (with a GR55) for about half its value!
So, after a simple set up by my Luthier I had a good test play with it, but found that the Guitar/Synth mix switch (S3) not functioning – it didn't work in the Synth position. I checked the 13 pin cable connection, all seemed fine. It's then I thought that it may be a loose wire inside somewhere. I removed the strings, and then the unscrewed the pick guard, and carefully lifted it. It turns out that my suspicions were right, I found 2 wires (see photos) - a thin red one and little black one unattached. The Synth/Guitar switch (S3) only had 2 wires connected to it, and a third terminal was suspiciously covered in solder with nothing connected. I did a bit of research on your site and found a little info – but nothing indicating what coloured wires went where. I found that the thin long red wire came from the 6 pin connector, and the black shorter wire was connected to one of the up/down selectors (S1, S2). The Roland Mex. Strat Pickguard Assembly plan seems to suggest that the red thin wire from the 6 pin connector goes to the 3rd terminal of S3, and the short black wire on the centre terminal of S3.
The only thing is that the plan has no colour indication in regards to the wiring. I was hoping that someone could, with the help of my pics, confirm my findings.
You may also notice that the pickups wires have been removed – I did that for a couple of reasons. One was to make it easier to see, (and because I have a set of Hot – Noiseless pups to install) and also because it seems as if the manufacturer decided to put the bridge pickup in the centre position and wire it thus. According to Fender, the pickup with the yellow wire belongs at the bridge position.
Any advice would be gratefully received...
Cheers, Paul

Elantric

Color codes don't help , they use whatever is on the production floor that day

We never recommend removing the GC -1 Pickguard unless you know electronics and can take a movie /pics during the removal

Schematics are here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=183.0

Smokey5159

Hi Elantric,

I actually have a good grasp of electronics and have built amps etc in the past. My opening the pick guard didn't cause the problem, so I figure taking pix or a movie wouldn't have helped me in this
instance, as the wires were already adrift. I'm sure other guys would have the same colour coding, as I have seen some pix on here with the same colour codes as mine - so I was hoping someone could simply clarify according to their knowledge of their own guitar. I have the schematics - just a clarification of my deduction was all I was after...
Thanx 

Smokey5159

No worries then - I wont waste anyone's time...

Oh just want to add - that I had a fantastic response from the Roland service Dept here in Australia. He was more than helpful
and was happy to answer all my questions without reservations.