The Over The Top Guitar Synthesizer Patch Extravaganzia Contest!

Started by feloniouspunk, March 13, 2009, 02:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feloniouspunk

For Halloween 2008, we were going to have a "most scariest patch" contest but was quickly canceled due to disinterest.  There seems to be a whole lot of new members and with spring in the air I thought maybe we could try again.  With recent talks on over the top guitar synthesis I thought that that would make a good contest.  Craziest sounding patch, or something like that.  We could even divide it into two categories, VG-99 alone and VG-99 triggering whatever. 

So, is this something people might be interested in?  C'on, it could be fun!  We give the contest a couple of weeks and then we vote.  What do you all think?
Lots of Gear. :)

Elantric

To quote Star Trek,  Next Generation's Captain Pickard

"Make it so!"

feloniouspunk

"Engage!"

Ok, so maybe that was a little over the top- but hey that's what this contest is all about!   ;D  Who's in?  I think to gauge whether this will work or not, PM me if your interested and I will tally up the number of participants in a few days and let everyone know.  If you have suggestions about the contest leave them here.

To enter I think people should submit the .smf file and a short mp3 of the patch.  We also need to decide how many entries per person.  And when the contest is over we will create a poll with every entry so we can vote anonymously.  What else?

Elantric

I say

* Anyone can participate

* Just post your MP3 submission in this thread right here

* After we have a significant number of submissions, we will announce a deadline  - so we can create a voting poll for "Best VG-99 Sound Design"

* Winner will get noticed by our 1300 members and I will forward his/her  MP3 to Roland USA, and will be requested to explain to all of us the methodology and principal FX design elements employed to create the winning VG-99 Patch.

feloniouspunk

Ok, so just an mp3, no patch unless you want to.  And what about allowing external synthesis?  Should we just leave that out to make it easier, or should we create two categories?  I am kinda thinking that just the VG-99 should be allowed to see what kind of crazy sounds people come up with. 

washburn100

I'd be in but heres a really stupid question. I got thousands in gear, software, guitars, amps, toys in general to relive or better revive my youth!

So how do you post an mp3 on this board.

(First I do know what am MP3 is. Second, I know how to make one, just never posted before!)

Is it just make crazy sounds, hopefully somewhat musical and post 30 seconds or so or is it full blown song?)

Elantric

Click on this Forum Title to see my attached Pics below:

Do not use "Quick Reply"

Use the regular "Reply"

Then Click " Additional Options.

And in the Attach box click "Browse", then  point your hard drive and locate your MP3.

Then click "Post"

We are open to anything - just something that will get attention, and NOT sound like a guitar.

Does not have to be a composition - could be simply a "whoooooshkabaaaaang"

Best one wins by vote

feloniouspunk

Quote from: washburn100 on March 13, 2009, 05:21:15 PM

So how do you post an mp3 on this board.

Also, I believe mp3s need to be 5 mb or less in order to be uploaded to the site. That should be more than enough.

Rhcole

Gah!

I just get here and there's a patch competition? Are there enough users who really work with the VG to make it interesting? :-\

feloniouspunk

Good question.  Out of 1300 members I think maybe 25 or so post regularly.  I am hoping there are enough.  The last one we tried failed due to lack of interest. 

mousetrapreplica

This is right up my alley, I'll see what I can whip up for y'all.......
Guitars: Ibanez Artist 1980 model - GK3, American Fender Strat Plus 1993 - GK2a
VG-99, into RC-50 loopstation into Mackie Onyx 400F into PA
Control: FS-6, FV-500H
http://www.mousetrapreplica.com
http://www.cheeseexcursion.com

Brent Flash

Quote from: mousetrapreplica on March 15, 2009, 06:23:52 AM
This is right up my alley, I'll see what I can whip up for y'all.......

Welcome to the group mousetrapreplica!  :)

We try to have as much fun as we can without breaking any laws here and this one should be fun!  ;D

Brent Flash

Quote from: feloniouspunk on March 13, 2009, 04:37:46 PM
Ok, so just an mp3, no patch unless you want to. 
Not saying anyone would cheat  :o  but wouldn't we need the patch to verify they just used the VG-99?

I am not clear on if the rules let you enter more than once or is it one patch per member?

Elantric

* Can submit more than once

* I'd like the patch posted

But hey - I'm not the rule maker. ;)

Rhcole

We can always have rules like Calvinball-

From the "Unofficial Rules of Calvinball"

Permanent Rule: You may not play the Calvinball the same way twice.

Primary Rule: The rules are subject to be changed, amended, or deleted by any player(s) involved. These rules are not required, nor necessary to play Calvinball.

Another interpretation of the rules of Calvinball is that the only rule is that there are no rules.

fuzzfactory

hey guys...
it is nice to see more interest in the synth aspects of the vg-99.

i got mine at the end of dec. and was a bit disappointed with the stock sounds as usual  ;D

i looked around to see what other user have done with this fantastic piece of gear but
couldn't find much in the synth department with the exception of bill .....but he doesn't share patches...which is cool  8)

so i went to work and dug in, explored, and skimmed the surface of this thing.
i have found that if you look at the vg-99 more like a modular synth you can get very interesting results.
is it a mini moog or a "real" synth ....nope.....i was hoping for at least one "real" synth with full programability but
thats the way she goes.

anyhow i was getting ready to upload my first bank of synth patches and saw this thread......nice how things like that work.
you can get the sound bank here https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,1581.0.html

looking forward to see what kind of sounds you guys all can muster up as well.

peace
forrest "fuzz"

feloniouspunk

I create a lot of synth patches too and other things that are not so guitar oriented, but there is not a big demand for that kind of thing here so rarely post any examples.  I certainly appreciate you sharing all of your latest patches with us and please continue to do so.  Hopefully it will inspire more to do so.  Also jump on in the contest.  The more the merrier!  And I am hoping that it will push people in directions that they wouldn't normally go.  There is a lot of power underneath the hood, so to speak, and lets tap into it.   :D

So far I think we have about 6 or 7 people that seem to be interested.  I guess that is enough, but I was hoping, um, HOPING that there would be more.   :)

feloniouspunk

feloniouspunk

Quote from: sustainiac on March 15, 2009, 04:18:14 PM
* Can submit more than once

* I'd like the patch posted

But hey - I'm not the rule maker. ;)

I nominate Sustainiac as the rule maker.  Anyone second it?

;D

Brent Flash

Elantric

QuoteLast Halloween we were going to have a "most scariest patch" contest but was quickly canceled due to disinterest.  There seems to be a whole lot of new members and with spring in the air I thought maybe we could try again.  With recent talks on over the top guitar synthesis I thought that that would make a good contest.  Craziest sounding patch, or something like that.  We could even divide it into two categories, VG-99 alone and VG-99 triggering whatever.

and some might consider this task already accomplished - but theres room for more submissions!

VG-99 Patch exchange area
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=35.0

watch / listen to fellow VGuitarForums members here:

VGuitar Recordings
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=107.0

Links to Videos
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=81.0

aliensporebomb

Maybe it's finally time for me to upload my old Apocalyptic patch!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteMaybe it's finally time for me to upload my old Apocalyptic patch!

Please share!

aliensporebomb

I've probably got a couple dozen more I've yet to upload.  Forthcoming!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.