Boss SY-300 Guitar Synth Videos

Started by Elantric, April 17, 2015, 09:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

It's just that period of silence which is a killer,
time seems to slow down when you are waiting for more news..  :P

I thought the Gundy Keller video was good and professional but too short, just a teaser.

The Alex Hutchins live demo ones have not impressed me so far, a bit unprepared,
and stated by himself "never programmed a synth before".

The Japanese presentation/demo, I really don't understand that playing style at all ???
it didn't seem to demonstrate much except the same sound over & over again.

Where are those innovative synth programmers of the 70's and 80's?
I am looking forward to some great SY-300 demos to come...
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

imerkat

Tell you what, that Japanese presentation was a hit at TPG. I don't remember there being a thread for the GR-55 that pickup up steam like there's been for the SY-300.

What i have pickup from the demos is that synth leads sound much smoother than what i could get out of the Gr-55. The slides/hammer-ons just sound spot on to me.

Frankster

I get the impression Boss rushed pre-production models to NAMM 2015 way in advance of the final production models being anywhere near ready for shipping. We got a limited number of videos while the product was still in development, when it finally gets shipped to dealers we'll start seeing more and more videos.

Orren Merton

Quote from:  Frankster on June 08, 2015, 04:16:03 PM
I get the impression Boss rushed pre-production models to NAMM 2015 way in advance of the final production models being anywhere near ready for shipping. We got a limited number of videos while the product was still in development, when it finally gets shipped to dealers we'll start seeing more and more videos.

I'm guessing you mean Musikmesse 2015, as it wasn't shown yet for NAMM. Or are you saying that it was backstage at NAMM 2015 and we just didn't see it?

Orren

Elantric

QuoteI get the impression Boss rushed pre-production models to NAMM 2015 way in advance of the final production models being anywhere near ready for shipping.

Its a fact that EVERY new product from Roland /Boss shown at NAMM / MUSIKMESSE Trade shows are rather "rough around the edges"

You should have seen the 1995 Winter NAMM debut of the Roland VG-8  - the User Interface was barely 10% complete.

Not sure why folks are surprised regarding the delay between 1st showing of Boss SY-300 at Musikmesse ( April), then 1st production run availability in July

This is 100% a repeat of the same "3 month lag" schedule as last year's Boss GP-10 release schedule.

I suppose the difference is there is more "pent up demand" for the SY-300 vs GP-10 

The 2011 GR-55 was the last Roland / Boss unit I recall that shipped within 4-5 weeks of its initial release at a music Trade Show, and that tight schedule was mostly due to Roland NOT providing a GR-55 GUI Editor. They told me VG-99 was delayed 5 months due to the VG-99 Editor debug routine.

Id rather Roland / Boss take their time and iron out bugs with the Boss Tone Studio Editor for SY-300  - and not waste our time with a buggy "rush job unit that is typically not functional  / reliable enough yet for live use.

July will be here soon enough.     

QuoteOr are you saying that it was backstage at NAMM 2015 and we just didn't see it?

At Winter NAMM 2015 , Boss SY-300 was NOT on display, and not even mentioned as "arriving soon"  - there was a very tight clamp on info.

Gundy Keller had a very short time March 2015 to create the initial SY-300 demo video we all have seen countless times.

Frankster

Quote from: Orren Merton on June 08, 2015, 04:35:08 PM
I'm guessing you mean Musikmesse 2015, as it wasn't shown yet for NAMM. Or are you saying that it was backstage at NAMM 2015 and we just didn't see it?

Orren

Thanks, I knew I was typing something wrong when I posted that!

Dark Barn

Demo of the new BOSS SY-300 Guitar Synthesizer. All guitars and bass recorded with only the SY-300 used as a synth, amp simulator and FX processor. No latency and no special pickup required! Just plug in your regular 1/4-inch jack cable and play!
Category
Music

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Rhcole

Yeah, OK...

It clearly shows chords, played SOFTLY so you can't really tell what's going on polyphonically.
...with a loud, snapping fast lead figure on top.

Here's Roland/Boss' demo video script:

Loud, bangin' drums or rhythm figure to get everybody jumping!
Punchy bass to drive home the beat!
Screaming, wailing lead with lotsofnotesplayedreallyfast to show you that, well, it will play screaming wailing notes really fast!
Plenty of echo or other FX blended to show that Boss has FX! Echos especially!
Repeat again and again!

thebrushwithin

Yes, it would be nice to hear someone do nothing but chordal comping, but Roland marketing has probably decided that its largest target of potential buyers, are not interested in hearing a demo of chordal textures. Probably age driven decisions. That's cool, we are not that far away from finding out first hand what it's all about. I think my first composition with it will be called "Get Off My Lawn"!
;)

aliensporebomb

Look, though we all want to hear how it does on the chord thing, every kid wants to know "Will it DJENT?  Will it sound like Skrillex?"  That's why we're not getting the sort of thing we're really into here....
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Rhcole

I'll write the B side to your tune called "If that thing comes into my yard again I'm gonna' keep it!"
Maybe Elantric's band "The Dentures" will cover it.

thebrushwithin

Forgive me if this is already here, but I don't think it is. Same basic demo at Musikmesse, but he talks about his process in programming a bit.

Elantric

http://bosstonecentral.com/

Creative Power Set by Gundy Keller

Next Level Guitar Synthesis ... Various refreshing sounds created with fully potential of SY-300 including filters, effects and step sequencer.

BOSS TONE CENTRAL is a library service offering additional contents for BOSS products. By simply launching the dedicated BOSS TONE STUDIO application and connecting to the internet, you can download any of the free contents from our growing collection.

This set has a range of familiar style sounds as well as some unique ones that will hopefully inspire you create music and sounds of your own.

BOSS TONE CENTRAL is a library service offering additional contents for BOSS products. By simply launching the dedicated BOSS TONE STUDIO application and connecting to the internet, you can download any of the free contents from our growing collection.
Category

Essential Tone Collection by Yutaka Nakano
This patch set includes a range of sounds such as simple synth lead as well as unique layered sounds ones to SY-300, with the emphasis on the natural feeling of playing guitar. Let's play in various styles regardless of the patch name.

Will Robinson

Thanks for posting those. I hear some stuff that will definitely be fun to explore.
All three 'sound designers' seem to have this common retro early eighties fusion synth sound. Some of that I love but it also has me thinking the SY300 might be a bit limited. Either that or those 3 guys are more alike than I would have guessed.

Frankster

Right, now I'm hearing LFO's synced with the track tempo I'm getting interested again. And yes, some of the demos are a little bland but it's a Roland synth demo and that's par for the course.

I'm starting to feel hopeful the SY-300 can actually deliver some genuinely interesting sounds when used properly i.e. with a spirit of sonic experimentation. As much as I admire Alex Hutchings as a technician of guitar playing, he does tend to produce rather bland unlistenable jazz fusion nonsense most of the time. I'd love to hear what someone like Johnny Marr or Adrian Belew would make of the SY-300.

Headless68

Marr with an SY-300 - that would be interesting to see what his style would bring out

thebrushwithin

Radiohead would take this into some interesting places.

mchad

I like Gundy's vid. Favourite sounds?

TB303 - although he seemed to be controlling the tempo sync with tap tempo.  :-\  this machine better have midi sync.
GiantStep - very nice. especially the chord that comes in around 3.32
Mojobone -  :)
Ultimate Bs - Killer! I fully expect this machine to do convincing bass sounds.

deadpoet

First demo on bass with a real sound up. Sound great to me and looks like it tracks like a mother - which makes it almost official that I will be selling my EHX BMS, Korg G5, Boss SYB-3 and Akai Deep Impact for this   :)

Herwig
Freelance bass player, music teacher, sound engineer, pedal junkie

Elantric

QuoteFirst demo on bass with a real sound up.

Here's an earlier version from Tamas Barabas  from 2 months ago

5 string Bass demo - with chords

deadpoet

Quote from: Elantric on June 25, 2015, 10:13:04 AM

Here's an earlier version from Tamas Barabas  from 2 months ago

5 string Bass demo - with chords
I saw that one a few times - like he wrote: just some factory presets, he didn't sit down to actually DO something with it. That newest demo convinced me of the fact that the SY300 could be a real bass synth

Herwig
Freelance bass player, music teacher, sound engineer, pedal junkie

Elantric

Boss SY-300 Factory Preset Run through

BOSS SY-300 GUITAR SYNTHESIZER SOUND TEST

CARVIN HH2X - BB Preamp - SY-300 - Peavey ENVOY110

Elantric

La grandissima novità nel mondo dei guitar synth - BOSS SY-300

Come mai SY300 è così innovativo? Perchè è il primo ed unico guitar synth a funzionare con il normale jack per chitarra!
Sentiamo come suona, con il mitico Tony Marrale!!!

Orren Merton

It's as if the guys doing the last two videos reached into my head, saw exactly what I don't want in a YouTube demo...then made these.

Orren