GP-10 - Guitar to MIDI settings

Started by vurnt99, July 18, 2014, 03:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redvers

Thanks for the responses guys. Just to reiterate, latency is not an issue at all (well it's there but acceptable). The problem is I'll play some really clean bar chords fingerpicked with thumb and fingers and it throws out random notes. I'll try the velo cut thing, I've only put it to 1-2 so far. No bend data on etc.

Elantric

much of this applies to the GP-10
GR-55 Guitar to MIDI Controller setup
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3787.msg25564#msg25564
How do I use the GR-55 as a midi control in programs like garageband so I can trigger garage band sounds with the guitar?

Use the GR-55 as a Guitar To MIDI Controller
From the Owners manual:

MIDI Settings
You can make MIDI settings that apply to the entire GR-55, such as
specifying the MIDI channel. For the procedure, refer to "Settings for
the Entire GR-55 (SYSTEM)" (p. 69). For details on each setting, refer to
"MIDI/USB" (p. 79).

See GR-55 Owners Manual page 79
You Must enable GTR to MIDI and set the Mode assignment type:

The "Guitar midi out" option is in the SYSTEM settings, it needs to be enabled. (see lower right in the GR-55 Floorboard Editor)

Watch the Video here:

Then :

connect the GR-55 to your Mac (you did install the GR-55 OSX USB Driver AND READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS right?)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3050.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3050.0;attach=2856

then:

How to create a software (midi) instrument in Garageband:

1.   Open Garageband

2.   Select "Open a New Project"

3.   Navigate to the "Track" section in the menu bar and select "New Track"

4.   Make sure "Software Instrument" is selected and click create

5.   From here, navigate through the Software Instrument midi sounds that are displayed on the right toolbar.

6.   Load in the sound that you want to use, make sure the volume is turned up, and start to jam!

Advanced GR-55 Guitar to MIDI tracking advice is on this thread here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5220.msg35887#msg35887

Member Curteye also recommends the following:

===

, A couple of tracking tips.

1-What ever sound source you are MIDIing into (hardware or software) check the  'MIDI Implementation Chart'
(usually at the very back of the manual)  to see if it can receive MIDI info from more than one MIDI channel at the same time.

If it can, set the GR55 to send MIDI info using the 'MIDI Mono Mode' protocol.

This way each string can 'send' MIDI Bend info on its own separate MIDI channel. One MIDI channel for each string.
(FYI: MIDI 'Poly Mode' uses one MIDI channel for all six strings)

example:
If you start at MIDI channel one, Mono Mode will send MIDI info on channels 1-6.
One channel for each string.

However if you start at say channel 15, Mono Mode will send on channels 15-4.
Still one channel for each string.

2-Also keep in mind,
most keyboards and software have their bend rate set to: +/-2.

For MIDI guitar use, try changing the rate to a much higher setting. 8-12. (I use +12).
(Thank you Warren Sirota) YMMV.

Set the bend rates the same for both the GR55 and the receiving module(s).

I only use the chromatic setting for things like pianos.organs etc.

3-Your DAW has to be able to let all this 'MonoMode' chat between the GR55 and the receiving modules happen.
Check for any DAW MIDI input 'filtering' that might be set as a default in that particular programme.

In my case, my GR55 'talks' to six separate SampleTank modules on MIDI channels 1-6 that live inside my Cubase DAW.
Each module is set to the same sound (piano,guitar,bass,sax etc) but you can do some great splits/tricks as well.

Here is something kool to try:
If the audio card out of your 'puter can handle 5.1 surround sound, assign each string to a separate output (speaker) and then strum
a chord.

The first time I tried this was with a nylon guitar setting and it sounded like I was hearing the sound from inside the sound hole!

Spider

For me guitar to MIDI in GP-10 is not as good as in GR-55. OK with chromatic set to ON but without it has too much glitches, errors etc. from the other side neither GP or GR-55 are close to FTP...

Redvers

Hi guys, just wanted to say I'm getting much better results now, it takes a lot of experimenting between string sensitivity and all the velocity affecting settings. ANYWAY I thought I'd mention that I installed Sampletank free last night and although the install was a bit of a pain, it took the gp-10 across 6 seperate channels really easily. I could switch between mono and poly mode in the fly. Lots of fun loading six seperate instruments. 

alexmcginness

Quote from: Elantric on July 22, 2014, 09:31:32 AM
On my 2012 Macbook Retina (OSX10.8  ) - the FTP is just a bit faster (lower latency) but only on lower strings,. On Boss GP-10, the Top three strings feel the same latency as FTP, Roland has improved the Guitar to MIDI in the GP-10. Which for me makes the FTP a bit redundant for most cases since the differences are so small now.
Remember this is a case of using Boss GP-10 and Roland/Boss GP-10  USB Driver on a 2012 Macbook Pro Retina 8GB Ram with 768GB SSD drive, and Ableton Live 9

On Window7 (Test Computer: Lenovo W520, I7 Quad Core 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD)  - the GP-10 Guitar to MIDI remains sluggish, and geared to hobbyists  - its that dramatic a difference

I dont have a GP-10 yet but Ive noticed that as well. On windows 7 with my VG-99 the guitar to midi is terrible but on my Mac Book pro its very reliable. I got tired of all the Mac guys having a better driver for the VG products so I bought the Mac Book for this feature alone. Im still a PC guy but for this functionality Ill go over to the dark side.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

QuoteI dont have a GP-10 yet but Ive noticed that as well. On windows 7 with my VG-99 the guitar to midi is terrible but on my Mac Book pro its very reliable. I got tired of all the Mac guys having a better driver for the VG products so I bought the Mac Book for this feature alone. Im still a PC guy but for this functionality Ill go over to the dark side.

Major debates continue regarding this -happy to hear results match mine.

alexmcginness

Quote from: Elantric on April 12, 2016, 02:26:24 PM
Major debates continue regarding this -happy to hear results match mine.

Its was an easy debat to settle for me. Just sit a Mac Book and a PC beside each other and either the VG-99 or a GR -5 5 ( in my case ) and play some guitar to midi. It will be the end of the debate. Bear in mind Im am not a Mac over PC guy. Im the other way around, but for this function, the Mac driver is the hands down winner between the two.
   There plenty of videos on youtube of guys using the Vg-99 and a Mac and doing great glitch free guitar to midi. Ive been trying since 2007 to get this to work well on the PC. You cant. Its just a toy when used with a windows system. For those on the fence, plug your box into a Mac and start playing and see for yourself.
   As I said earlier, I bought my Mac Book Pro strictly for this function and it was worth the price. Now if elantric is right about the latency with the GP-10 being close to the FTP, then, its an added bonus.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

alexmcginness

Quote from: jassy on July 22, 2014, 11:58:01 AM
the only possible explanation is that the Windows driver that Roland has done much worse than the Mac one...

I found this to be accurate. I bought a Mac book Pro for this one function alone. The drivers Roland makes for the PC do not work as well as the Mac drivers. I noticed this with my VG-99. Ill give it a shot with my new GP-10 soon.

wxyz

Is it possible to have separate mono midi outputs? Different channels for each string?

Elantric

Yes - set to MONO Mode

details here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11913.0

set the GP-10 to send MIDI info using the 'MIDI MONO Mode' protocol.

and pay attention to the GP-10's MIDI String Channel settings

This way each string can 'send' MIDI Bend info on its own separate MIDI channel. One MIDI channel for each string.
(FYI: MIDI 'Poly Mode' uses one MIDI channel for all six strings and all MIDI Note on/off messages )

example:
If you start at MIDI channel one, Mono Mode will send MIDI info on channels 1-6.
One channel for each string.

However if you start at say channel 15, Mono Mode will send on channels 15-4.
Still one channel for each string.

slooky

Can anybody give me the added benefit of using a GP-10 Midi? Is it just to use vsts?

Headless68

correct - you can trigger soft synths via midi over USB

sixeight

And you can do music notation from the guitar...

slooky

80Hz

Can you plug a BOSS GP-10 directly into an iPhone 6S Plus (128 GB iOS 13.3.1) using a USB to Lightning cable and trigger garage band instruments?

I  plugged the cable into the iphone and the  GP-10 says USB connected.  I set midi to ON and POLY.  I play my 13 pin Godin, GP-10 audio out is functioning, but no midi or audio is showing up in garage band.  I installed a Midi Wrench app to monitor midi signals and it shows nothing.  Is there an iOS setting to activate midi?

Vaultnaemsae

Neither audio nor MIDI will work directly over USB from the GP-10 in iOS.

The GP-10 is not class compliant.

There is no GP-10 driver for iOS.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Rusty Kirkland

question:   for playing live:  seems like I could use the GP-10 usb out
to a Kenton box to a synth module (SonicCell) with no computer....

Yes?             I also have a Primova MIDX-10 that maybe I could use....

Being a PC guy, I'm hoping that latency would be OK (going direct to a synth module... no PC)
Thoughts?
Rusty

CodeSmart

Quote from: Rusty Kirkland on November 01, 2021, 04:19:43 PM
question:   for playing live:  seems like I could use the GP-10 usb out
to a Kenton box to a synth module (SonicCell) with no computer....

Yes?             I also have a Primova MIDX-10 that maybe I could use....

Being a PC guy, I'm hoping that latency would be OK (going direct to a synth module... no PC)
Thoughts?
Rusty
Hi Rusty, USB 2.0 expect 1-3 ms added latency per USB port. If going over 5-pin MIDI also serial baudrate introduce additional latency.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!