GP-10- So why move the V-guitar line to Boss?

Started by supernicd, March 13, 2014, 11:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

Just curious if anyone had any speculation on why the new VGuitar product is not branded as Roland.  Pure marketing stuff to try to get to a larger audience?
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

gumtown

Speculation?
I think Roalnd have taken a marketing gamble, based on the sucess of the GR-55,
to present GK tech as "main stream" to that market.
BOSS is a more budget priced and mass produced line.

If there is a positive from that, the Roland line with then have to step up, if this is the base line offering for BOSS.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10782.msg78276#msg78276

QuoteSince this is a Boss brand, instead of a Roland, it seems this unit is not intended to be any sort of VG evolution, but rather just another 13 pin unit, aimed at Boss pedal users. At least they are keeping their format alive. Maybe I am mistaken about the significance of the branding.

Re Branding of GP-10 as "BOSS" vs "Roland"- this translates into more actual retail dealers around the globe who can actually stock and sell the GP-10. There are more Boss Dealers than Roland Dealers.
While every Roland Dealer is typically also a Boss Dealer, the opposite is not true. There are many Boss dealers who can not order other Roland products. The overhead and "buy-in" terms on a year to year basis are more reasonable for a Mom & Pop music store to be a  Boss Dealer vs a full Roland dealer. So the availability of the new Boss GP-10 should be easier and more plentiful than if GP-10 wore a "Roland"  product badge.     

nitefly

Quote from: SuperNiCd on March 13, 2014, 11:58:03 AM
Just curious if anyone had any speculation on why the new VGuitar product is not branded as Roland.  Pure marketing stuff to try to get to a larger audience?

A Roland guy at Musikmesse explained that they wanted to attract more non-GK guitarists with the price and the brand, just to get a broader base for future GK products at the high end, even though he doesn't expect something in the next 12-18 months.

regards
RKW

Elantric

QuoteA Roland guy at Musikmesse explained that they wanted to attract more non-GK guitarists with the price and the brand, just to get a broader base for future GK products at the high end, even though he doesn't expect something in the next 12-18 months.

100% agree! - I do not expect to see  another GK 13 pin processor that rivals the VG-99 until 2017, if ever!

musicman65

Quote from: Elantric on March 13, 2014, 03:12:42 PM100% agree! - I do not expect to see  another GK 13 pin processor that rivals the VG-99 until 2017, if ever!
...and that is a real shame for those of us who are spoiled on the features of the VG99. Maybe they are backing up and making another run at it by organically growing a low end customer base. They better hope someone else doesn't enter the hexaphonic market with a higher function product! (I doubt it)

Elantric

QuoteThey better hope someone else doesn't enter the hexaphonic market with a higher function product! (I doubt it)

I suggest Roland Corp keep the product below  in their rear view mirror as it has the potential to seize their high end 13 pin market they elected to vacate.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7286.0

supernicd

I really hope this is true (as I'm sure we all here do) - that they are building up a market for a future high end GK/VG product by positioning a VGuitar system within a brand that is more commonly known and widely available to guitarists.  And I hope it sells like hotcakes, and that this forum's membership grows.  And I hope when that happens, that Roland does not read into this that a slimmed down product is what we really all wanted in the first place. :)
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Toby Krebs

Any movement/growth etc.. in this guitar synth area is good especially in these days of economic doldrums.As has been discussed here so many of us that use these GK/13 pin devices are older players. I am all for anything that may get some younger guys/girls playing and exploring this stuff.This just might do it. My 20 year old bass playing son and his guitar playing friends won't have anything to do with my GR55s/VG8/GR33 etc...but they have warmed recently to the Fender/Roland VG strat for recording. I for one am hopeful.

musicman65

I left my GR55 and a Squire Strat with external GK3 at church as a backup rig and my 22 year old guitarist in the praise band latched onto it immediately. In fact, it goes home with him regularly.

So, with the right exposure, the new breed can dig guitar synth. One of the big things that captured him was some of the patches I built that had killer aggressive Marshall tones, mag pup enabled, with fat synth pads, and shimmering  acoustic tones. I showed him how to tweak the patches he likes. As we know, the Roland  factory patches suck.

Toby Krebs

PD FX

Yes, it is marketing. And I must say, good marketing!
Design:
+The Boss brand is a trusted brand for (young) guitarists
+It copies the yellow of the first GR, the GR100, nice for the old guys (I've still got one..)
+It is cheaper than a tripleplay, even as a bundle with GK3 and cable.
+It has hidden the midi capabilites, so the demosounds don't sound that corny ")
+It has more COSM as the GR-55, its more like a VG99 with 1 engine.
+having 1 engine is good for attracting new people, because it is easier to understand and edit.

Technically:
+If the re-guitar options works properly, it is an instant hit! You can record your guitar shredding string-separated, and re-guitar it, without the bloopers.. Perfect studio tool, because you can ofcourse misuse this any kind you want ( just play every string separate and then re-guitar them, now that's impossible guitar..)
   This option will tempt many GR55/VG99 owners to also buy this one, very clever from Roland! ( thats why they also make y-cables now..)

-no standard midi connectors to connect remote/synth (BUT therefore I hope they've solved the bad USB midi behaviour as featur in GR55! ).   Remotes have to be detoured over USBmidi.

montyrivers

Confirmation of usb class compliance or at least a workaround (disabling advanced driver mode?) will make or break the final decision on this one.  It's a great box on paper, but if I need to use a PC and some clunky boss editor to unlock the full potential of this unit, I will have to pass on it, as attractive as splitting 6 inputs digitally sounds.

mbenigni

QuoteConfirmation of usb class compliance or at least a workaround (disabling advanced driver mode?) will make or break the final decision on this one.  It's a great box on paper, but if I need to use a PC and some clunky boss editor to unlock the full potential of this unit, I will have to pass on it, as attractive as splitting 6 inputs digitally sounds.

+1.  If I can't run a cable to an iPad running Sampletank or similar, I'd just as soon leave the hex guitar at home.

Quote+It has more COSM as the GR-55, its more like a VG99 with 1 engine.

Has this been confirmed or are you just hopeful?  I haven't seen any details concerning the COSM implementation or effects architecture.  For all I know, this is just a GR55 with the PCM stripped out (and a cool hexaphonic USB audio driver.)

EDIT: Just saw your post here:  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10881.msg79286#msg79286
I assume this is what you mean?

supernicd

Another thing that I find interesting is that even though Boss has added a V-Guitar product with poly FX, guitar-to-MIDI, guitar modeling and re-guitaring, the GT-100 is still referred to as their flagship.  The GT-100 does have a nicer display, dual FX chains, and lots more I/O.  Not reading anything into it; just interesting.

Quote+1.  If I can't run a cable to an iPad running Sampletank or similar, I'd just as soon leave the hex guitar at home.

This is probably the wrong thread for this, but since it came up, I thought I'd share my thoughts on something "similar".  I've seen tons of references to Sampletank on this site.  I have Sampletank iOS and have dropped a fair amount of dough into it.  While it has a nice UI, and is fairly comprehensive in terms of quantity of instruments, I find the included samples to be a little lacking in quality in many cases. 

Just thought I'd bring up that there are some lesser known alternatives.  Take a look at the Bismark BS-16i, which is a soundfont player module.  I have found that there are some really excellent soundfonts still available for free on the internet (one good GM soundfont bank is included).  In many cases I find I can get samples that are better than what's in Sampletank at sites such as hammersound.net.  It also has the advantage of being 16-part multi-timbral (as opposed to 4-part in ST) and expandable (by means of downloading free or also paid soundfonts).  In addition it gives you some level of control of each sample set (ADSR, filter cutoff and Q, vibrato, etc.)  It has replaced ST as my go-to sample engine in iOS.

Oh, and it's pitch bend range goes to 24 just like you know you need it to, and it never pops up annoying sales pitches when you start it up.  Just sayin'.  [I am not affiliated with the Bismark BS-16i, but I do like it. ;)]
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteThis is probably the wrong thread for this, but since it came up, I thought I'd share my thoughts on something "similar".  I've seen tons of references to Sampletank on this site.  I have Sampletank iOS and have dropped a fair amount of dough into it.  While it has a nice UI, and is fairly comprehensive in terms of quantity of instruments, I find the included samples to be a little lacking in quality in many cases. 

Just thought I'd bring up that there are some lesser known alternatives.  Take a look at the Bismark BS-16i, which is a soundfont player module.  I have found that there are some really excellent soundfonts still available for free on the internet (one good GM soundfont bank is included).  In many cases I find I can get samples that are better than what's in Sampletank at sites such as hammersound.net.  It also has the advantage of being 16-part multi-timbral (as opposed to 4-part in ST) and expandable (by means of downloading free or also paid soundfonts).  In addition it gives you some level of control of each sample set (ADSR, filter cutoff and Q, vibrato, etc.)  It has replaced ST as my go-to sample engine in iOS.

Oh, and it's pitch bend range goes to 24 just like you know you need it to, and it never pops up annoying sales pitches when you start it up.  Just sayin'.  [I am not affiliated with the Bismark BS-16i, but I do like it. ;)]

Agreed.
Fishman Triple Play Top Things to Know
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8427.0
Here is a pic of Fishman TriplePlay working with 2011 Ipad2 64GB Wi-Fi+3G (IOS 5.1.1) and Apple 30 pin Camera Connection Kit Adapter providing the USB Host port for the FTP Receiver Dongle triggering Bismark bs-16i Synth

Elantric

QuoteAnother thing that I find interesting is that even though Boss has added a V-Guitar product with poly FX, guitar-to-MIDI, guitar modeling and re-guitaring, the GT-100 is still referred to as their flagship.  The GT-100 does have a nicer display, dual FX chains, and lots more I/O.  Not reading anything into it; just interesting.

Just another example of Marketing to newbies with no memory of past Roland products.
The GT-100 is only the " new flagship" by default, after the old Flagship  (Roland VG-99) ceased production April 2013

mbenigni

QuoteJust thought I'd bring up that there are some lesser known alternatives.  Take a look at the Bismark BS-16i, which is a soundfont player module.

Thanks for the heads-up, SuperNiCd.  I absolutely will.