Roland VGA-7

Started by Elantric, February 10, 2008, 09:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

This is a good site about the 2001 Roland VGA-7.
Here's the link to the Roland VGA Yahoo Group:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/RolandVGA/

http://www.thehotdogs.net/vga/

Yahoo RolandVGA Group
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/RolandVGA/

See attached Files

Roland VGA-7 Owners Manual

Roland VGA-7 MIDI Specification

Roland VGA-7 Preset Patch Chart

Behringer FCB1010 – Roland VGA-7

==
http://www.thehotdogs.net/vga/
Usage with Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Footcontroller, some tips

VGA-7

Set Volume and WAH do fifferent MIDI Control Change Numbers:

[SYSTEM] pressed -> Power On
Use Parameter Down/Up and Value Up/Down
[SYSTEM] to Quit

1   1   MIDI Channel
2   On   Omni
3   1   Device ID
4   7   Volume CC
5   14   Wav-wav CC
6   80   Tuner CC
7   65   EFX CC
8   66   Delay CC
9   67   Chorus CC
A   68   Reverb CC
b   69   Tap CC
C   70   Capo CC
d   75   User/Preset CC
E   64   Manual/Memory CC

FCB-1010
Set CNT1 and CNT2 to send on different MIDI channels:

[Down] pressed -> Power On
[Up]
CNT1
[Up]
MIDI Channel 1
[up]
CNT2
[Up]
MIDI Channel 2
[Up]
[Down] pressed -> Exit

MIDI Commands from FCB1010 to VGA-7:
Program Change   1-80
Control Change 1-31, 64-95
   Send 127 for ON/OFF Value and 00 to confirm
   (Make sure to set CNT1 and CNT2 to send on different MIDI channels,
   else the FCB1010 will toggle the commands by first sending CNT1 then on the next
   preset-press send CNT2)
   Tuner ON/OFF -> CNT1=CC80#127 + CNT2=CC80#0
   User/Preset ->  CNT1=CC75#127 + CNT2=CC75#0
   (this will only toggle between U and P on the selected patch)
Control Change   0 + 0,1      
   Preset 63 -> PrgChg5=63 CNT1=CC00#1
   User 63   -> PrgChg5=63 CNT1=CC00#0
   (this will leave the selected mode in Preset or User)
   The Behringer FCB1010 is sending PrgChg5 _after_ it sends the CNT1 and CNT2 (!)

I have put together 10 nice-to-have commands in bank 9 of the FCB1010

1   USR   P5CC00#0 + CC07#0   Set User - select patch 1, volume 0
2   PRE   P5CC00#1 + CC07#0   Set Preset - select patch 1, volume 0
Usage:
Go to 92 - press on the 2
When you now go trough the patches 0-1 to 7-0. you will be selecting beetween the presets

Go to 91 - press on the 1
When you now go trough the patches 0-1 to 7-0. you will be selecting beetween your user presets

3   MAN   CNT1->CC64#127 + CNT2->CC64#0
4   CAP   CNT1->CC70#127 + CNT2->CC70#0
5   EFX   CNT1->CC65#127 + CNT2->CC65#0
6   TAP   CNT1->CC69#127 + CNT2->CC69#0
7   DEL   CNT1->CC66#127 + CNT2->CC66#0
8   CHO   CNT1->CC67#127 + CNT2->CC67#0
9   REV   CNT1->CC68#127 + CNT2->CC68#0
0   TUN   CNT1->CC80#127 + CNT2->CC80#0   

These switches instantly and toggles between the states -
except for Tuner witch seems to be a bit unstable but it will eventually switch if you press and wait a while before next press...

Volume and Wav-wav
On each preset:
Set the volume to send on CC7 - min value 0 max value 127
Wav - CC14 - min value 1 and max value 127

COSM Guitar Amplifier Name
Due to Copyrights (my guess) Roland has not put the names directly on the VGA-7, instead they call it CLASSIC2 or METAL etc.
Here is a name convention I have compiled, based on the description of the sounds and a peek in the Usaer Manual for VGA-7's big brother VGA-88:

CLEAN   
1 Roland Jazz Chorus 120
2 Fender Twin Reverb
3 Vox AC30
4 Polytone Mini-Brute   

CRUNCH
1 Fender Pro Reverb
2 Vox AC30
3 Fender '59 Bassman
4 Matchless D/C-30   

LEAD
1 Marshall 1959 Plexi I
2 Marshall 1987 I+II
3 Mesa Boogie   
4 Soldano SLO-100
5 Peavey EVH5150
6 VGA Metal HiGain

From VGA-88:

CLEAN
JC120      Roland JC-120 (Jazz Chorus 120), a favorite of pro musicians around the world.
TWIN      This models a Fender Twin Reverb.
VOX AC30   This models the clean sound of a VOX AC-30TB.
POLYTONE   Polytone Combo, Mini-Brute. This is a sound suited to jazz.

CRUNCH
PRO      This models a Fender Pro Reverb.
VOX      This models the drive sound of a VOX AC-30TB.
TWEED           This models a Fender Bassman Combo.
MATCHLESS   This models the sound input to left input on a Matchless D/C-30.

LEAD

The desciption from the patches describes the Marshall sound as a 1987 (50W), the VGA-88 use the older 1959 (100w) model.

MS1959(I)       This models the sound input to Input I on a Marshall 1959.
MS1959(I+II)    This models the sound of a Marshall 1959 with Inputs I and II connected in parallel.

Mesa/Boogie   This models the lead sound of the MESA/Boogie combo amp.
R-FIER RED V2   This models the lead channel of a MESA/Boogie Dual Rectifier.

SLDN LEAD   This models a Soldano SLO-100.
METAL 5150   This models the lead channel of a Peavey EVH 5150.
METAL DRIVE   A high gain and powerful metal sound. Rolands Own VGA HiGain Metal Amp.

More info:

VGA-7 User Manual size 3.8Mb
VGA-7 and GFC-50 size 100Kb
VGA-7 MIDI Implemetation size 1,3Mb
VGA-7 Preset Patch Chart high resolution - size 2,9Mb
VGA-7 Patchlist low resolution - size 500Kb
Description Patchlist (Pno) sorted on Patch Number size 50Kb
Description Patchlist (amp) sorted on amp type size 50Kb

FCB1010 with VGA-7 setup sample size 16kb
SysEx File of the settings above - size 3kb

COSM Amp Names size 45Kb

Reset your amp with:
Power on while holding WRITE. Release WRITE, then press WRITE again

Firmware V1.10 - file size 453Kb, updated software for VGA-7, hold CH + REV at power-on to determind what version you have

Note!
No guaranties for that this update will work! Please consult Roland Support if it fails in any way...
And, please do not use the included SMFUpd utility, use a sequencer program, where you have full control over the order to send the file.

The SMFUpd utility is notorious for having issues with it "feature" that allows you to target an entire folder of SMF MIDs and upload them in order.
Apparently it will sometimes use an arbitrary order but even more often it will send the next file before the device on the other end is ready for it.
With newer devices this is not a big problem, as they'll just fail the update and revert but in the older devices like VGA-7 it can brick the bootloader.
(Thanks to Jay Winks, Birmingham, AL for pointing this issue out)

If you are still will be using the UPDSMF.EXE Utillity from Roland, do not queue up all the files but send them one-by-one in correct order.
Here are some discussions of upgrading the VG-88, a similar process like the one on VGA-7:
VG-88 Update 1
VG-88 Update 2

First issued: 2005
Last updated: 2012

Davor

If only Roland made VGA-7 as a TWO, much  lighter boxes in stereo!

Imagine you go to your gig only with two 16kgs each miracle boxes ...
yes, I would have bought such a combination.

But that 70+ kgs ugly monster with just ONE handle ... oh, no, no, no .. satisfaction :-)

That's why it was ill-fated.

Fwiw, Davor

Elantric

Been there,  done that -  This was 18kg   - but it did not sell.
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/VGA-3/index.html

MidiBuzz

I own a two cabinet version of the VGA7!  I bought it from a guy who felt the same; too heavy.
Unfortunately it it means 2 cabinets; the weight savings was not what you would think!
Stay Tuned!
Buzz

rdomain

I've got an option to buy a cheap VGA-7.  I'm wondering how the amp sounds when using the external inputs for a laptop.  eg.  full range and bypassing the preamp/fx.  Also how do the sounds in the actual amp compare to the VG99?

I've already got a VGA-3 but this is only a single 12" speaker with no horns.  I've always bypassed the internal sounds and used external preamps etc but I'm assuming the internal sounds would be similar (not really fantastic.  I'm spoilt by owning an AxeFX Ultra)

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

admin

Most find the VGA-7 is extremely too heavy, and COSM Modeling is same "quality" as a VG-88, so Alt tunings will "flutter"  and the COSM Amp modeling tends to be harsh compared to a VG-99. 

If you are in the states,  - skip the VGA-7,and get a Trayner K4

aroide

I have a VGA-7.  Originally I used the modeling, but now I use it for a nice clean amp for my VG-99.

PROS:
-beautiful clean full range stereo.  Acoustic guitars sound nice as well as electric.  Its tuned nicely.
- some of the amp models are really good.  The Jc-120 model sounds amazing (of course its Roland)
- simple controls.  When all you need is a nice amp, reverb, chorus, etc... it is way easier than the VG-99 to get a good sound.
- stereo line level inputs.  L and R go to each 12"/tweeter combo respectively.  Beautiful as an amp for stereo gear.

CONS:
- extremely heavy with only a flimsy handle on top.  Almost pulled my back a few times.
- wheels aren't very sturdy.  After a couple of years rolling over gaps in cement sidewalks, they ripped out.
- no display.  Figuring out which amp models are which requires a cheat sheet (mine it taped to the top of the amp) and a funky button combo to select.

If you're not moving this beast much, and can get it cheap, I'd do it.  Even if you use a line 6 pedal, VG-99 or similar it sounds really great.

MidiBuzz

I like mine enough that I snagged a second one.  I agree that it is heavy, as did the guy I bought the second one from; he split the electronics from the speaker cab; ended up with two slightly less heavy cabinets.

It does a pretty good job as an amp.  There is some type of noise gate on it that keeps it really quiet (at the expense of the cutoff that noise gates create.

The effects and editing are fairly limited.  But I keep it in my office, going direct with nothing else (other then the FC-2000 foot controller.
If you can get it for a good price, go for it!
Stay Tuned!
Buzz

hungtdao

I have owned mine for over 5 yrs.  If you will not haul it around much (weekly), then get it if it is cheap.  The sounds and effects are almost similar to VG-88.  It is easy enough to set-up.  It very heavey and probably a heaviest guitar amp in its class for those have 2x12" speakers.  Since I don't haul it much and just play a few events a year.   I never got myself load and unload into and from car unless a 2nd person help me; otherwise, I might get my back hurt someday.  Sometimes I saw some people selling a cabinet with speakers only without the amp controller (top part).  So, separating the head and the cabinet definitely reduce the weight.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group hungtdao!  :)

tekrytor

I also have a VGA-7, for five or so years. I don't know the VG-88, so I have to take the other users at their word on that. I use a Behringer FBC-1010 to control it, which works good. It is really way too heavy though. I screwed two grips onto the ends so two could carry it if necessary. There's a yahoo group for it. It has been quiet though, probably because Roland didn't make many of them and discontinued it soon after release. I agree with the pro con list and I like the stereo sound. But it is a beast, technically and in weight.

Has anyone found an editor for the VGA-7?
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

tekrytor

Hmmm, maybe three cabs would be better?
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

aliensporebomb

There was a VGA-7 at a local shop for $350. Not sure if that's a great price or not but I already have a JC120 and it it's just a JC120 with a VG-8 built-in it's not real attractive especially if it's a backbreaker.  I have a picture I took of it with my cell phone in case anyone is interested.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

cynegetic

MGR in burnsville? Shhhhhhhhh.... it may be mine soon.

markustg

Anyone used the GR-55 with the older Roland VGA-7? 

It looks like a good possible match with stereo inputs on the back lots of FX features and the  GA-7 has an adjustable GK2 input. 

I have seen lots of talk on what amp(s) to match the GR-55 with and was wondering if anyone uses the VGA-7 or even the VGA-5 (or pair of VGA-5's).

Thanks!

datsunrobbie

I have used both the VGA-7 and VGA-5 with my GR-55, have not tried them with the VG-99 yet. I love these amps, but only use them in the basement studio because of the size and weight. The VGA-7 is around 85 pounds with a single handle on the top - perfect if somebody else is moving it  :)

markustg

Thanks for the reply.

Do you find you miss the "true stereo" sound when you use the VGA-5 VS the VGA-7?

Or do you still get the kind of sound you like with the VGA-5 and GR-55?

Your point is well taken on the size/weight of the VGA-7

datsunrobbie

I can't really say I miss the stereo, but I don't really utilize stereo effects very often. If I'm doing something where I really want to hear the stereo separation I'll run one side to the VGA-5 and the other to the VGA-7, or plug into a Fender Passport.

tekrytor

I also have a VGA-7 and agree with Robbie on the weight. These are fine sounding amps for the guitar spectrum and have horns, but not quite the bass depth of a full range keyboard amp. The nice thing is if used with a US-20 or GPK-4, you then have two COSM modlers when used with the GR-55 for more Roland fun. Lots of possibilities with these VGA combinations.

markustg

I just picked up a used VGA-5 and will be doing some testing this week end.  I'll post the results.

Thanks!

markustg

So far so good with the VGA-5.  I am running it in JC-120 mode and the sound is clean, and bright.  The amp is somewhat limited with only 10 memory patches alone, but of course that does not matter as I have the GR-55 hooked up! 

For a "budget" minded person I do suggest finding one used and giving it a try.

I don't get the Pan delay effect on the GR-300 patch I want, but it is certainly usable.  If I need the full stereo delay for home recording I can just go into my mixer of course.

ALSO,  For tweeking the GR-300 emulation This link was very helpful! 

As was of course the set up tips on this forum for my Godin Xtsa.  In fact without the set up tips on this forum, the GR-300 patch is unusable with my Godin!

Still also thinking about the VGA-7 and trying it as well with its Stereo inputs in back.

tekrytor

So, is the VGA-5 a mono version? What size speaker(s) and how is the bass and weight? Perhaps a second VGA-5 would be a good lightweight stereo solution? You would then have a  third COSM unit too! You could use two COSM's to do alternate tuned 12 string patches, for example. A sometimes mentioned shortcoming of the GR-55.

Are you sure it's not 10 banks of 10 patches?

datsunrobbie

Pick up a midi controller, like the GFC-50 or a Behringer FCB1010 and you can get to 40 patches on the VGA-5. Only 10 can be accessed without using an external controller. It has one 12 inch speaker and weighs in just under 53 pounds. It does not have a 13-pin input or do guitar modeling. You  get 11 COSM amps, 11 cabs, and a bunch of effects. To get the 13-pin and guitar modeling you either have to go up to the VGA-7 or down to the VGA-3 - but then you need as US-20 or similar splitter so you can connect to both the GR-55 and VGA-3/7 to take advantage of the guitar modeling. By connecting to the "external in" jack (jacks on the VGA-7) you bypass all the amp effects and get straight to the power amp, so you could run the GR-55 independent of the amp settings AND use the front input to get to the COSM goodies in the amp. With the VGA-7 and GR-55 it's like having a VG-99's less talented brother on COSM modeling with 2 PCM tomes thrown in for good measure. I've wondered a few times how many different sounds I could trigger at once just using my Roland gear, but I have enough trouble with one or two at a time  :)

Owners's manual is available for download from Roland here for the VGA-5
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=243

markustg

It looks like your questions were answered above, its mono, kinda large and heavy, but really sounds good.  may for a second one or a VGA-7.

Thanks for the tip on the Midi pedals, that makes a lot sense.

happyjay

Tried to flash a VGA-7 to 1.10 firmware. No lights on device after reboot. Just light thump when applying power. I followed the instructions to a T. I think I just wasted $250 plus $199 for the US-20. Anybody know how to revive one of these? I can't even figure out how to get the chassis out to look inside. Thanks if by some chance you know what to do. ???