Amplification recommendations for DSP Guitar Modeling systems

Started by Elantric, February 10, 2008, 07:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenact

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 25, 2016, 01:17:08 PM
SVT Head = 130 lbs

I don't think the weight of the SVT head ever went above 100 lbs, but there was/is at least one version of the head that weighed as much as my 73 Twin combo.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

vtgearhead

Quote from: kenact on November 28, 2016, 02:27:56 PM
I don't think the weight of the SVT head ever went above 100 lbs, but there was/is at least one version of the head that weighed as much as my 73 Twin combo.

That I can believe, but knew that it couldn't have been 130 lbs.

borgun

Hi! Firstly, i would like to say a big thank you to everyone in this forum for providing such a good platform to discuss and share knowledge regarding roland vguitar stuffs.

sorry if this question has been asked before, I've tried searching but just couldn't find the answer.

are there any recommendations for something smaller than 100W to be used for home jamming purposes with backing track. I'm thinking something like a 5inch home studio monitor like krk rokit 5, yamaha hs5, tannoy reveal 502 and a few others.

alexmcginness

Im still lovin my mackie 450s. Theyre plenty loud and if I need more volume or stereo I use two of them. Ive also got a Marshall Bluesbreaker twin 12 combo that also works really good for guitar stuff commin out of the VG-99. Best of both worlds with that. A real Marshall tube simulator and the virtual guitars out of the 99. The Mackie is still easier to lug around than the Marshall though.

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: borgun on December 08, 2016, 06:46:14 PM
Hi! Firstly, i would like to say a big thank you to everyone in this forum for providing such a good platform to discuss and share knowledge regarding roland vguitar stuffs.

sorry if this question has been asked before, I've tried searching but just couldn't find the answer.

are there any recommendations for something smaller than 100W to be used for home jamming purposes with backing track. I'm thinking something like a 5inch home studio monitor like krk rokit 5, yamaha hs5, tannoy reveal 502 and a few others.

Genelec if it's in your price range
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

vtgearhead

I just acquired an Atomic CLR Mk II Neo and am extremely impressed.  Jay Mitchell deserves kudos for his work on this design.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8457.msg60468#msg60468

Elantric

whippinpost91850

I don't have a MKll , but wonder what difference there is with my older Neo...I been gigging with mine for 4 yrs with no issues. SNHirsch I don't think you'll be disappointed and agree Jay definitely deserves Cu-does for his work on it

vtgearhead

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on January 13, 2018, 10:25:39 AM
I don't have a MKll , but wonder what difference there is with my older Neo...I been gigging with mine for 4 yrs with no issues. SNHirsch I don't think you'll be disappointed and agree Jay definitely deserves Cu-does for his work on it

My impression is the MkII redesign was to reduce weight and (possibly) pickup some woofer efficiency.  Doubtful that there's much sonic difference between the models.  I just cannot get over how well this speaker projects "amp in the room" sound when driven by a good modeler.  My early experience with a QSC K10 just didn't cut it.  It sounded fine when I was 10-12' away from the speaker, but in the close field it was "vague" (best way I can describe it).  The CLR has no detectable "hot spots" or objectionable "sizzle" at the high end.  Just nice, present punch.

whippinpost91850

I agree there. I have had great luck with mine and the sound and feel are very much amp-in-the-room feeling.

I wonder how they could get it much lighter

vtgearhead

Based on Atomic sales literature, the Neo MkII is about 10 lbs. lighter (35 vs. 45).  At age 66, I'm no longer inclined to hump around anything much heavier than that :-).  Just about the same as my Katana.

whippinpost91850

Same here I'm 67.   My CLR NEO is about 32lbs.   So must be something besides weight

Elantric

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on January 13, 2018, 03:20:36 PM
Same here I'm 67.   My CLR NEO is about 32lbs.   So must be something besides weight

We do know the CLR NEO Mk II is built in Asia, and Jay Mitchell explained the difference at TGP 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/clr-neo-mkii-for-999.1768739/#post-23058067
QuoteYes. It's the original design with some developmental improvements that enable it to run (a lot) cooler and get (a little) louder.

Piing

I am going to buy a Line6 Power Cab (without Plus) for my Axe-FX III

It is not too heavy, not too big, and the reviews I've red so far are all good.

https://line6.com/powercab/

lespauled

I have the HeadRush FRFR, and could not be happier.  An incredible unit, with tons of headroom, and an exceptional price.

jerseyboy

'been lurking a while and figure this might be right time & place to share a pleasant surprise for live gigging. 

Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge.  "Charge" model simply a battery powered version of the LB Mini. 

It serves so many acoustic/electric instrument purposes in single 21lbs easy to wrangle package.  Instrument input EQ plus built-in Reverb/Chorus helps quickly dial in just the right tweaks for practically any stage/room while leaving amp simulation, drive and delay duties to pre-programmed external DSP modeling.  And serves as a DI never any grounding issues. 

I use Zoom, Line6 Helix, Fender FUSE DSP's and they all seem to easily dial a sweet spot driving the LB Mini.  I also own and gig pretty nice tube amps (Matchless, Rivera) and LB Mini is earning a regular spot on majority of gigs.  It's that good for electric DSP amp modeling and acoustic guitar, imo. 

Guitar straight in can pull off respectable jazz amp imitation. 

Known more for busking but it's a formidable little guy that keeps up with drums. 

Key for me is being able to quickly adjust minor EQ and then start adding Reverb, perhaps Chorus depending how the room/stage responds to the electric DSP modeling used.

jazzyguy20

I recently got n QSC K2 speaker to use with my Boss GT 1000, can someone tell me the settings to use it? Ive been changing setting both in the QSC and the GT 1000 but all i got is a flat sound

Mrchevy

I've not used the QSC's but for the price, you could pick up 2 Alto's or Alesis powered monitors for less. I have 2 of the Alto TS110a, running stereo from the L/R outs of my GT100. The QSC looks to be overly complicated as far as settings. All you need is a good sounding, simple, and solid monitor. The GT MFX pedals have more than enough EQ options. As for settings, check the GT1000 output settings. You should be using line out/headphone setting for your outputs to powered monitors/PA. Other settings are if you are running into guitar amps.
Also, the wattage rating on those QSC monitors are way over the top in my opinion for guitar monitoring. If I read right, 2000 watts? Marshall And Fender twins run about 100watts and those will make your ears bleed. Just some thoughts to ponder.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Maudibe

+100% on the Headrush FRFR.

So light and compact with a stack of power. Also, it has to be said, a bit of a bargain - although buying a stereo pair is still a bit of an outlay.

Two inputs, which can get you out of a jam should you need someone else to go through them at a practice - or indeed if you have two sources you need to mix.

Like much :)

kenact

Quote from: Mrchevy on December 16, 2019, 06:26:59 AM
you could pick up 2 Alto's

I work at a music store that does repairs. We've had several Alto's come in for repair. The problem is, schematics aren't available for them, and the company isn't very helpful.

They are relatively inexpensive, but if they fail, you may be completely out of luck.

On the other hand, QSC's are more expensive, but they have a 3 year warranty, and support their service centers.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

carlb

Quote from: kenact on February 06, 2020, 08:41:33 AM
I work at a music store that does repairs. We've had several Alto's come in for repair. The problem is, schematics aren't available for them, and the company isn't very helpful.

They are relatively inexpensive, but if they fail, you may be completely out of luck.

On the other hand, QSC's are more expensive, but they have a 3 year warranty, and support their service centers.

Good info to know!
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker