Frank Gambale explains his tuning

Started by GovernorSilver, June 18, 2014, 08:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GovernorSilver

Some of you are already aware that Frank Gambale uses a Roland VG-99 to quickly switch between standard tuning and his personal tuning, which he uses to access otherwise difficult-to-play chord voicings.  Here he demonstrates and explains his tuning:

Somebody else deduced this, for those who want to try the tuning:

6th string = A ( usually the 5th string )
5th string = D ( usually the 4th string )
4th string = G ( usually the 3rd string )
3rd string = C ( usually the 2nd string but up a half step )
2nd string = E ( same pitch as 2nd fret on a D string on a regularly tuned guitar )
1st string = A ( same pitch as 2nd fret on a G string on a regularly tuned guitar )

sixeight

It is the same notes as capo 5 on standard tuning. Or am I wrong?

GovernorSilver

Quote from: sixeight on June 21, 2014, 05:56:21 AM
It is the same notes as capo 5 on standard tuning. Or am I wrong?

True for the bottom 4 strings.

However, with a capo on the 5th fret of standard tuning, the top 2 strings would be an octave higher than in Gambale tuning.

By raising the bottom 4 strings and lowering the top 2 strings, it's easier to play close-voiced chords, because the two string groups overlap more.  By choosing this specific tuning, you retain the familiar chord shapes from standard tuning - the major chords in Gambale tuning still look like major chords of standard tuning for example.

You do bring up a good point - if you don't have a VG unit to program the Gambale tuning, a quick way to try out the tuning would be to capo the bottom 4 strings at the 5th fret, and tune down the top 2 strings as described.

sixeight

Finally found the time to watch this video. I have tuned up the middle two strings by an octave. Sounds great for piano and organ sounds on the GR-55. This tuning has the same idea. i like it.