JBL LSR 28 Amazing

Started by op111, October 15, 2008, 08:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

op111

Hi all,

I normally play my 99 through a JBL EON 10 (see other thread).

However, lately I moved my playing upstairs where I am lucky enough to have a pair of JBL LSR 28p monitors and subwoofer.  The LSRs are high end studio monitors with very low distortion and flat on axis frequency response.

http://www.barryrudolph.com/utilities/jbl.html

I gotta tell you... wow!  The better your FRS, the better the 99 sounds.  I have been playing with a simple 335 pickup and clean Roland JC120 amp settings, and the tone is spot on.

Note that this is hardly a portable setup, the LSRs have exposed drivers which get trashed on the road, and the 28p's have been replaced by a newer model (which is probably even better).

But, if you can set up permanently, this is the way to go!
Peter

Elantric

Pete - Yes this is an important observation.

FWIW - Bill Ruppert uses Genelecs when programing his VG-99 sounds  - enough said.

Brent Flash

He's not the only one that uses Genelecs!  ;D

baranger1

HAHA We have a Genelec club!

Man I could give up almost every thing in my studio but I would hang on to the Genelecs long after they tore up the carpet and took away the furniture:-)

Bill

LeeMorant

I have a pair of crappy TAPCO monitors on my PC, they only cost 450 quid but they really show up the JBL's shortcomings.  I still havent found a live solution that I really like yet, you can't beat a pair of half decent monitors in my book!

feloniouspunk

I use a pair of the older Mackie HR824s for all my VG-99 programming.  They sound fantastic.
Lots of Gear. :)

Meltdown

I'm using Dynaudio BM5's at home.
I wish i could reproduce that sound on stage!
Visit my website!
http://www.tachyonmusic.com

feloniouspunk

Lots of Gear. :)

EJROCKS

what kind of genelec speakers do you recommend.  I am not a professional.  I just do this for fun.
I do some recording but mostly just playing for fun.   My set up is in a basement if that makes
any difference.   It is finished.

Brent Flash

Quote from: EJROCKS on October 21, 2008, 08:27:23 AM
what kind of genelec speakers do you recommend.  I am not a professional.  I just do this for fun.
I do some recording but mostly just playing for fun.   My set up is in a basement if that makes
any difference.   It is finished.
Sorry EJ didn't mean to just jump over your question. What kind of budget do you have in mind. That brand can be a little pricy.

Another thing to consider before recommending something is how large the area is that you will be using and how does the room sound when you play loud music in it.

Brent Flash

washburn100

I just got a set of Alesis M1 Active 520 monitors cheap. I use the VG-99 as my soundcard using the USB connection. I don't understand the difference between the main out and the sub out on the VG-99. I figure I should use the sub out connections to the monitors because these are balanced, but what actually is the difference.
Thanks,

Brent Flash

Quote from: washburn100 on November 28, 2008, 11:24:41 AM
I figure I should use the sub out connections to the monitors because these are balanced, but what actually is the difference.
Thanks,
Are you asking the difference between balanced and unbalanced or the difference between Sub and Main?

washburn100

I guess both. My understanding on the balanced and unbalanced is that balanced has better ground so less noise, hum etc. I don't have a good understanding of main out and sub out though. How about a short lesson?
thanks,

Brent Flash

Quote from: washburn100 on November 28, 2008, 11:48:08 AM
I guess both. My understanding on the balanced and unbalanced is that balanced has better ground so less noise, hum etc. I don't have a good understanding of main out and sub out though. How about a short lesson?
thanks,
OK, the main difference is that the SUB OUT is a balanced output that uses XLR type connectors.
* The SUB OUT L and R connectors are unaffected by the OUTPUT
LEVEL knob settings; output is constant at a fixed output level (+4
dBu). The SUB OUT also has a ground lift switch.

The MAIN OUT is controlled by the volume knob on the front of the VG-99. These are unbalanced phone jack outputs.

Balanced audio has three leads. Hot, Cold, and Ground. The Hot and Cold signal paths carry the same signal but are opposite polarity. One is + and one is -. So what this does is if the wire picks up any noise (common mode interference) along the length of the cable, that noise is also opposite polarity when it arrives at it's destination. Then what can be done when the Hot and Cold are summed at the destination is the noise can be cancelled out. Compared to single-wire earth return circuits, balanced lines reduce the amount of noise per distance, allowing a longer cable run to be practical. This is because electromagnetic interference will affect both signals the same way. Similarities between the two signals are automatically removed at the end of the transmission path when one signal is subtracted from the other. There are differnt types of balance circuits but you said a short lesson.  ;)

washburn100

Thanks Brent, very helpful.
Ok here is the dumb question. Should I use the main out or sub out from the VG-99 to the monitors. They have both 1/4"TRS and balanced XLR. I was going to use the sub out because it is balanced, but did not realize I could not control volume. Thing is, I use the VG-99 as my soundcard with the USB connection so my sequencer also uses the VG-99 to the monitors. I like having the VG-99 volume know handy to adjust. The volume controls for the monitors are on the back and not handy to adjust. (The are Alesis M1active 520's)

Any suggestions besides getting a mixer?
Thanks again

Brent Flash

Quote from: washburn100 on November 28, 2008, 12:54:34 PM
Thanks Brent, very helpful.
Ok here is the dumb question. Should I use the main out or sub out from the VG-99 to the monitors. They have both 1/4"TRS and balanced XLR. I was going to use the sub out because it is balanced, but did not realize I could not control volume. Thing is, I use the VG-99 as my soundcard with the USB connection so my sequencer also uses the VG-99 to the monitors. I like having the VG-99 volume know handy to adjust. The volume controls for the monitors are on the back and not handy to adjust. (The are Alesis M1active 520's)

Any suggestions besides getting a mixer?
Thanks again

Good, glad I could help!  :)
Not a dumb question but not real easy to answer because there are different outputs because users have different needs. If you need to have a volume knob then that is the way you should use it. If you need the best possible feed for recording the analogue outs, you should use the SUB OUT. In my case I have the SUB OUT going into a mixer in my studio and don't use the MAIN OUT. But live I go to FOH with the SUB OUT and the MAIN OUT goes to my monitors if I want to control the level on them with the volume knob.

You will have to decide how you want to use them. That is why they are there to begin with. To give you choices.

fokof

I also use a pair of LSR as reference , I prefered them over Genelec when I did a blindtest. I was going to buy Genelecs but came home with LSR's !

Live , I use RCF ART310A , they are 25 pounds , 350watts , sounds very good.
I prefer them over Mackies and EON's.
http://www.rcfaudio.com/vediMacro.phtml/sLang/EN/IDMacro/2695/menuAttivo/1674/m1/0/ARTSeriesART310-A/product.htm

tyler_z

Nice, JBL is great brand. You won't regret spend money:)