Fishman Loudbox Pro for VG-99 / GR-55

Started by Appalachik, March 24, 2014, 05:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Appalachik

Because I play a lot of acoustic gigs using guitar, fiddle and banjo, I ended up buying a Fishman Loudbox Pro which punches well above its weight for the money.  And just because it was in the practice room, I decided to try it with a Vg-99 which a customer had kindly left with us for evaluation.  I have to say I was mighty impressed with the spread and punch it had, used in this way.  I dialled the tweeter right out and left the EQ flat.  The full range nature of the amp suited the rig very well, so if your needs are for a very portable 120 watt setup with loads of versatility, it is worth a listen.

As a slight aside, having just surprised myself at it's versatility in this direction, I grabbed my ES295, strung with Thomastik flatwounds, went straight into the input, added a touch of the inbuilt chorus and found an absolute killer jazz tone too.

I think what I'm saying is that it is well worth trying one out when a full range amp is called for.

Jenna

Elantric

Thanks Jenna for contributing the Fishman Loudbox Review!

Appalachik

Ha! It was a pretty positive review... I should probably have stated I don't have any connection with Fishman  :)

musicman65

120w is plenty for practice or acoustic work but I doubt it would suffice for stage work with a live band. It would most likely be comparable to a 20w tube amp in terms of SPL delivered.

Opustaylor

Jenna:
I use a Fishman Loudbox Pro with my six piece classic rock.blues band and it sounds fantastic with the GR55. I mix the GR55 sound with my regular amp Fender Deluxe Reverb and it sounds so nice. It cuts through very well when I need to solo. I have used it al outdoor venues and it's been just fine. I should mention that I go from the GR55 directly into the auxillary jack (the smaller jack). I learned that on this forum and it sounds great using that input on the amp.

jerrycali

I agree with you about using the fishman  120 watt ac. amp - I use it with a large
pa in larger clubs with my gr55 - aux. input - sounds Great ! and you can run it direct from the back to a pa