GK-3 LP Mounting Plate Help

Started by DigitalTrader, June 02, 2012, 06:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalTrader

Hello -

I'm putting the GK-3 internal kit in a LP style guitar, ordered the mounting plate from Roland (thanks to an earlier post with a part #) and it did not come with screws.  They appear to be about the same size as a 6/32, but the threads are different, possibly metric.  Walmart put the local hardware store out of business, so that's out.  Does anyone know what size screw it takes or where I can get a couple?

Thanks all.

ProgMystic

DigitalTrader, if you are talking about the LP GK-3 mounting bracket, it mounts on the posts under the tunomatic bridge. You need to lower the bridge posts to compensate for the thickness of the mounting plate.

I hope this is the mount you are referring to otherwise sorry for unrequited info.

Cheers :)
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

DigitalTrader

I am talking about the mounting bracket, yes, but my only issue is that I'm missing the screws that mount the pickup to the bracket.  I'm installing the internal kit on an Italia Mondial (anybody ever hear of those) and it was going well until I realised that the mounting plate I ordered separately from Roland did not come with screws.  I think they may be metric.

Thanks though.

Mrchevy

Try a Home Depot or Lowes. Look in the hardware section in the specialty fastener drawers. Take the bracket with you. Even if you find one that is to long, you can cut it. ( the screw) ;D It should be a 3x8mm per the GK3 manual. As a side note, if you mount it with the wire out the bottom side as ProgMystic did, you will need to reverse the pickup setting in the parameters. That is how I did mine also as it keeps the wire down and out of the way. Good luck.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

DigitalTrader

I was impatient, and so drilled & tapped the holes to 6/32. I did mount it wire side down, but rewired the connector from info on this site, thanks everybody.  This Italia has a piezo bridge, and so had a path for the pickup cable, albeit a tight one.  This picture is in progress, midi tested & works, waiting on Duncan SH2 & SH4, and mini switches for series/parallel/coil split.   https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107525324953543741612/albums/5749994523544730113

This is my first guitar project, and I could not have done it without first reading the posts here.  Thanks again everybody.