dedjazzgadgetz - 2 instrument GK switcher

Started by fokof, March 22, 2012, 05:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fokof

Here it is :

Made by a good friend of mine who lurks here on Vguitar

(Sorry Jo , couldn't remember your nickname )

2 GK in , one out , S1/S2, mag/pickup 1/4" out.

datsunrobbie

Cool little box  :). Any chance of getting a schematic? I'd love to build something like this to go in front of my GKP4

fokof

Don't know but I think that he will probably take orders.

dedjazzgadgetz

Hi datsunrobbie!

A little precision first: Fokof asked for mag/pickup 1/4" out (pin 7) originally, but was so pleased with the COSM sounds he got out of his VB-99 that we went for pin 9 "FV-5 control" (a future "upgrade"... not implemented yet) on the 2nd 1/4" out; the other is sw1/sw2)

As far as schematics go, Fokof is actually beta-testing the unit (which is using very small relays so no additional hiss or distortion from active components is added; Fokof has a 6-million-dollar set of ears, believe me!) and a lot of details need to be ironed out... :P

What I'd gathered from posters wishes on the topic, the ultimate goal would be to design a 13-pin

-A/B/C (3 instr. with remote foot-switching operation possible: unit here, your choice of fsw there),
-2 outs (US-20 style, but without the caveats reported: it will be using relays to deselect a GR/VG/VB),
-pin 7 instr. pup send/return (allowing GR-55 users to patch their own processors, and back to the GR),
-sw1/sw2 in (for foot operation)
-fan-out option (DB-25 to DAW through appropriate multi-cable)

box, in the smallest footprint possible (in this case a Hammond 1590BB; think MXR flanger; Fokof's prototype is a 1590B)...

Cool, innit ?  8)

Anyways, not there yet; any ideas/suggestions welcomed !
No excuses, no limits

Elantric

Great post, and thanks for sharing the details!

datsunrobbie

Hi dedjazzgadgetz,
Sounds like you have the most popular ideas covered for an "ultimate" switcher. Looking forward to seeing it as you iron out the details.

dedjazzgadgetz

Datsun,

I'll keep you posted: will know more when Fokof reports back after a coupla gigs/band practices...

...oh, I forgot: IRT the "Ultimate GK Switcher" (hey, groovy title: maybe I"ll start a thread! or is there one I missed, already?) add to the list the following option:

-if a more adventurous type is solely using foot-switch operated sw1/sw2, the freed pin 10 & 11 from the guitar could be set-up to carry CC voltage fed to, say, 2 FC-300 pedal inputs, from a Strat's/Les Paul's/other 2 tone knobs converted to the task...

-pin 9 could be carrying (3 or 5-way) pup-switch control voltage, same method...

...just throwing around ideas. Lets hear yours !

P.S.: By the way: anybody owning a SW41 (from Klaus Schock) ever opened/modified it? I'd be curious to see what technology was chosen; CD4052 probably, or... ?

Are they available, still? Read somewhere he was out, and re-designing it... oh well, just curious.
No excuses, no limits

dedjazzgadgetz

Fokof just reported back about the small 2in/1out 13-pin switcher I've built him... it's a keeper!

He mentionned noticing the unit being practically silent at switch-over, when he'd forgotten to "tuner-mute" his VB-99 with the FC-300... my tests had shown different brands (Roland-vs-other)/types of circuits (GK2-vs-GK3/int-vs-ext/hex mag-vs-piezo) not "digging" sharing the switcher (worst case being: 2 of his GraphTech basses together...). So there is hope !

I'm starting Version 2 (to get all the "glitches" out... I'm a perfectionnist) sometime later today: 3ins/2outs and a whole range of extra "stuff"... you can read about it in GK Accessories-"Ta-Daa: the "Ultimate GK Switcher" ! (smallest footprint possible)". I'll keep you all posted on the progress...
No excuses, no limits

romero

Hey dedjazzgadgetz.

With the proper cable can the send/return be used as a guitar input? If so would it be tip or ring?

Thanks

dedjazzgadgetz

YEP ! Dat's de Idea...  ;D

On Version 2 prototype 'though (GK Accessories-"Ta-Daa: the "Ultimate GK Switcher" !), I guess I'll go for two individual jacks: 1 send (to say, pedals/pre/amp/processor... whatever), 1 return (from non-GK instr./pedals... etc) instead of a stereo ring-send/tip-return; makes interconnections "clearer"...

...what do you think ?
No excuses, no limits

romero

Excelent. How do i get more info on this? pricing? build time? shipping?

Thanks alot

Romero

dedjazzgadgetz

Hey Romero !

Sorry for the late-late-late reply, man...  :-\ I'm smack in the middle of building/tweeking Version 2. Sure wasn't obvious (at all) cramming everything inside a Hammond 1590BB ! Stand-by for Sneak Peek-tures of the latest incarnation of the switcher, later today !

Regarding every other details (pricing? build time? shipping?): mmmh... the jury's still out. So many factors to weight-in... (again, check the main thread : GK Accessories-"Ta-Daa: the "Ultimate GK Switcher" )
No excuses, no limits

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Francis 7

I want one as well! I emailed Schock a couple of years ago (at least) and he didn't have any, never heard from him again. Very interested.

O/T if anyone knows anyone who can convert an 8 and an 88 to rackmount, please let me know. I know Proix had them and Keith McMillen had a kit years ago, but I missed those boats..!

dedjazzgadgetz

I'm baaack !

Sorry about the long hiatus... this should clear things a little https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9308.msg67053#msg67053.

-I'm happy to report Fokof's prototype 2 GK instrument switcher (now over a year into testing/upgrading/gigging) has held up to the challenge without a single hitch (bringing confidence to my amateur engineering skills !)

-I made him a companion external S1/S2 Hammond 1590B box (same size as the switcher)

-I'm making some serious headway towards a 3ins/2outs ultimate switcher https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5627.msg67055#msg67055 ...pictures coming real soon; hang on !

See ya,
Dedjazz
No excuses, no limits

tekrytor

I for one would like this box with the unused pin 9 reserved for MIDI CC/PC coming down from the guitar body to allow for on board MIDI controls, and of course that means putting a MIDI jack output on the box. Just wishing out loud and I have to admit... This looks like a great switch!
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices