VG-99 - Beach Boys - Pet Sounds Brass

Started by G, December 21, 2012, 03:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G

It has always been a dream of mine to be able to achieve those almost distorted brassy sounds that show up on a lot of the Pet Sounds tracks -- heres an example of one.  I`m not even sure what instrument it is, but that nasally distorted tone is the kind of thing I`m after.   Can you guitar whizzes on here help me get started on something similar to this?   

Brent Flash

Sounds like a Harmonica to me!  ;D

G

G

how does it get that almost distorted quality?

Brent Flash

Quote from: G on December 21, 2012, 09:50:52 AM
how does it get that almost distorted quality?
A lot of Harmonica players I know (players that play in bands) use small guitar amps. They plug their microphone into a guitar amp for their sound. I don't know anything about the specific sound you are going for but that is kinda what it sounds like to me. I could be totally wrong, just giving my opinion on what I hear.

papabuss

Yes, must be one of these Harmonica PCM sounds. Run it through an amp with some gain or experiment with some MOD Distortion. Don't forget to use delay. Should be possible with the GR55 but I don't see a quick solution with the VG99.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

G

no brent, i know you're right!  i just feel like a fool for not noticing that earlier.  :-X

i'm getting closer to achieving it on the vg-99 papabuss...   i feel like i'm overlooking something crucial to giving it that human breathy quality