VG-99 - Ronnie Montrose Bad Motor Scooter Slide Sound

Started by stevegerick, August 27, 2012, 08:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevegerick

Hi, Wonder if anyone has mastered the sound Montrose gets with the intro to Bad Motor Scooter.

I tried several patches that use Alt-A tuning and gives me some of the gain, but I'm not getting the punch or bottom end that he get's, by I'm only getting close and I want to be right on.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Elantric

In order to get good slide growl and singing sustain, Skip the COSM alt tuning and actually tune your real strings to the desired open Tuning. Engage a compressor and dial up the gain, and you will be much closer to the Montrose sound.

IMHO using DSP derived Alt Tunings for instances that demand sustain is a like using a Banjo for slide (wrong)

When the physical string is not the same frequency as the modeled Alt tuned tone emerging from your speakers - singing sustain as you "bow " the string with a nice ceramic slide is near impossible.

This is true for any DSP Alt tuned guitar( Variax, COSM VG-99, GR-55). They all are rather weak when playing slide.

If you play a lot of slide, either setup a dedicated guitar for it, or wait a couple months for the Tronical Tune motorized Alt tuning tuners. $300 due in October.

stevegerick

Thanks for the insight. I did try what you suggested in the first sentence, but using the DSP alt-tuning instead - and I did experience the limitation you describe. Having said that I may need to think about whether or not I want to incorporate the VG-99 in my live performance rig at all. The main reason i was exploring the VG was for the ability to perform alt tunings with the push of a foot switch. My rationale is that many of the covers my band does require alt tunings; however, unlike the star musicians who perform these songs on stage - with the stage crew/guitar tech and seemingly limitless access to pre-tuned guitars,  I don't don't even have room for that stuff in most of the venues I play. :-)

Your idea of motorized tuners seem worthy of investigation. The only thing I worry about is that tuners do affect overall sound, so that would be a concern. I remember playing a Gibson Robot awhile back and was not impressed. I guess no one was, since it appears they discontinued that model. Anyway. I researched the tuners you talk about. This might actually be a great way to "automate" alt tunings into my main traditional rig.

Thanks!