GR-55 - Santana Patch

Started by Jim Williams, June 25, 2011, 12:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

I made this patch from a VG-99 patch by Boguslaw, not all parameters are the same, I had work with some of the GR-55 effect limitations and improvise a little. Be aware I used the GR55floorboard editor and it is in the alpha sages still but I don't have any issues with it. I wrote the patch on the GR-55 and saved it with the editor. Sorry that I didn't play an actual Santana lead...I'm not good at playing that note for note stuff. Keep in mind I use different GK settings for different patches but it should defalt to your system gk setting. you might have dial back the gain a little but I think it sounds like his VG-99 patch. I cranked the sustain on the compressor....afterall you cant have too much sustain for Santana stuff.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

notnomiistakes

Nice & thanks for taking the time to make MP3...... :D

myksara

Great sounding patch and something that I was looking for to do a Black Magic Woman cover!!..Thanks bro
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

stirlo

Great patch !!! Have you managed to get the sound of the second part of the song europa by Santana I used to have a good sound for this on the Pod hd 500 called californian dreams but can't find the sound on gr 55...

Jim Williams

I think you will find that most of the patches are built from the same stuff from unit to unit. The most important thing is the EQ of the amp model. A line 6 Marshall will sound pretty much the same as a Roland Marshall depending on the EQ settings. Both companies are after the same thing.... to sound like a Marshall, right? now all you have to do is adjust the rest of the settings in terms of percentages (Delay Level set at 50% is going to be the same no matter if settings are 1-100 or 1-10) different units might use different increments but the percentages will still be the same. so you can write down your line 6 settings in percentages and then apply them to the GR-55 and come real close to the tone you are looking for. A lot of the patches I post are just VG-99 patches that I applied the basic settings to the GR-55. I suppose that I I had a program to read the settings of a Line 6 patch I could apply them to the GR-55 with some imagination and thought.

stirlo

I will check out the settings for the patch using the Line6 editor see what I come up with...Thanks...

aliensporebomb

When I did my "Pod NotSantana" patch for the VG-99 I ended up duplicating the settings on my Mesa Boogie studio preamp that more or less gives you a Santana type tone.  I found that Boguslaw's excellent patch sounded more like an early to mid period Santana tone and mine sounded more like a later period tone. 

I was really surprised that the Mesa Model basically duplicated what my actual Mesa did in terms of distortion tones.  if you have access to this kind of gear or know
someone who does you could try duplicating the settings on the "real" gear then use your ears to get closer.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

stirlo

Thanks for the Info ..Guys...

pmurray99

Thanks for the patch Jim - great fun to play.

Paul.

Jim Williams

Here is another Santana lead patch. I started out modifying one Gundy Keller's hero's patches. I feel his Heroes patches are week but in the ballpark. His demo patches sound great witch makes me believe that he probably won't release them due to some agreement with Roland. That is neither here nor there, I have added some tonality and some interesting control assigns that may be an eye opener for some of us. The first two are basic enough, on the CTL pedal switches pickups and on the Exp pedal/Exp switch is a wha. I assigned a few controls to the GK volume with some tweaks to the the ACT range HI and ACT range LO to set the locations on the GK knob where the changes occur. All the way up is the solo sound. When you back it off a bit you dis engage the solo switch. the next level of change is the volume decreases the gain level and cleans up the tone a bit and I added tome hi-end EQ to give you that realism of a guitar pot in action. and the next notch will add some chorus. I did not add a mp3 to this posting because there is a lot going on in this patch and if you downloaded Gundy's patch you my already have an ides of what to expect. 
Have fun! Jimmy.   

CrispyFunk

wow im so very impressed with the tone of your patches ,  i cant thank you enough  i have been having alot of fun all day with  them i just love how i can get  almost never ending sustain.  my next goal  is to buy the gear to  have that tone with out simulating it  , all tho i have no complaints

thank you very much for sharing , also  your  second patch where you have the volume controlling more than the volume , i just wanted to say brilliant , thank you for giving me ideas on how to program  my GR 55   

NoahB

thanks for the patches I'm really looking forward to putting them in and checking them out. I downloaded your Santana and your beckola and I'm wondering if there is a way for me to few all the patches you have created to share all at once or for that matter everyones shared patches all together. sorry if there is a way and i don't know it just new to the forums. thanks
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

Elantric

QuoteI'm wondering if there is a way for me to few all the patches you have created to share all at once

Probably easiest method is to click on "Jim Williams " name  on the left of his post above
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4097.msg40801#msg40801

which takes you to Jims Profile:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=921

- then click on "Show Posts" - which takes you here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=921

And then you could browse all Jim's posts and locate the ones that include his patches.

If you scan the GR-55 patch area

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=67.0

- you should be able to locate the thread where you can download all VGuitarForums GR-55 guitar patches in one zip file - courtesy of member "A to the T"

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3684.0

and learn how to install them in your GR-55 here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3260.0

Jim Williams

Thank you, I'm glad to see that some of the older post are still getting attention.

pmurray99

Hi Jim,

just for the record - have been using your original Santana patch live for a while now - for the non wah solo portion of She's Not There.

Paul.

Jim Williams

You could always modify it so you could use a wha with it, I think I'll try that now.

Jim Williams

Here try this.

pmurray99

thanks Jim will give it a go, probably be Sunday now before I can take a look.

Paul.

NoahB

thanks Elantric thats awesome i am glad they are all in one download its been taking forever to go thru and download them all one at a time and i want to hear them all. I am struggling alittle with the library system sometimes it will write the name of the patch but leave the sound from the old patch and other times i will double click on the new sound in the second window to load it for a preview and it just isnt there. i am using a little cheap notebook computer so im gonna try on my desk top and see if its a computer issue or not. thanks again for your links.
                                                                     Noah
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

jcmm2001

DreamTheory

electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008