VG-99 - Clavioline-Telstar

Started by baranger1, April 27, 2008, 09:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baranger1

Many of my "sounds' sound the way they do due to the way they are played and recorded.
Please believe me, to simply post a patch would never work.  There would need to be an explanation and lesson on how to play and voice the sound.
I had hoped in the future to get a monthly web page going to do just that. My thought was to tear one sound apart at a time and explore in detail how it could be emulated and played on the VG-99.

The Claviolene sound is playable straight out.
It is so simple I am very surprised no one just dialed it in.
Maybe no one even tried.
To make it even easier, I am attaching the single midi file.
Clavioline-Telstar

My original intent was to find out just how far the VG-99 could be stretched sonicly.
It was a great learning experience for me.
Many of the sounds I have found were not even thought possible from the unit by many of us.
It appears that by by posting the clips I have made some people very uncomfortable even disbelieving. 
That was never my intent. 
I have the feeling many may be happier with the Roland GR-20 guitar synthesizer.
I started a Yahoo group on this unit and there are many people there.
The GR-20 synth is much more like a keyboard synth where you press a key and the same sound is playable by everyone every time.
The sounds are very good out of the box.
It may be a faster way for some to get what they need with out investing very much time.

Have fun,
Bill Ruppert.
Patch is on Reply #10 below.

feloniouspunk

FINALLY!!!! ;D
Lots of Gear. :)

sixeight

QuoteIt is so simple I am very surprised no one just dialed it in

I guess most of us are trying all sorts of things with the VG-99, but never come so close that we are really satisfied. I often find that I can't get what I want, but I end up with something different that is nice in it's own way.

The danger with the VG-99 is that I spend more time creating patches than just enjoying playing guitar. Fortunately I have an ordinary acoustic as well with only six easy dials - the tuning knobs.

GeePeeAxe

Excellent! I have put some poly-limiter in the front
and a compressor on the second place, for more sustain.
In 2-3 minutes it was perfect for my playing-style, even
legato-mode worked with glissandi! Lots of fun!

Thank a lot Bill!

Kenmac

Thanks for sharing Bill. Now you only have, what, 35 more patches to share?   ;)
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

Kenmac

Edit: I was having a problem with the patch not sounding but then realized it was my FC-300 volume pedal!   :)  Thanks again Bill, and BTW I have a Roland GR-33 guitar synth. Great little unit.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

Piing

Thank you for the patch Bill!  :)

Now I'm going to study it with the editor before I start playing it  8)

baranger1

I wrote the patch with the Foot Volume in the down poisition.
Make sure your pedal is down or go into the FX section and turn up the FV (Foot Volume).
It the last item in the FX window.

Bill

G

i cant seem to hear anything with this patch-- i do not have a FC300 foot pedal-- where would i find an option to have this patch work correctly?

G

Elantric

Even with no FC-300, You still must edit the  FC-300 volume pedal parameter for this patch.

See VG-99  owner's manual page 83, "CONTROL FC-300"

baranger1

Here is the Telstar patch with out the volume pedal.

BR

duffy

I just loaded Bill's telstar patch into the 99.The first one with the volume control set to zero.Well now all my patches are set to zero volume and I haven't used the control area of the 99 enough yet to figure out how to reset the controls so the volume is back. :( HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baranger1

Load the one thats fixed.
I just removed the one with zero volume.
Its just a mid file your system would not have changed.

duffy

Thanks Bill.I realized as well that the first version turned the volume down to zero for all the instruments.So that's easy enough to solve.By the way that's beautiful work you're doing creating those patches.I wonder how may of the guys here are old enough to have heard Telstar on the radio. :) I've got to get a copy of it so I can cop that guitar sound that was on it during the bridge.It was too cool.thanks again man.

duffy

szilard

That's a nice patch, thanks for posting it.

baranger1

Have fun with it!
Its a classic 1960,s Keyboard sound.

I enclosed a small clip I recorded using just the VG-99.
It sounds very much like the old Telstar record.

Below is more than you ever wanted to know about the funky Clavoline!

Bill

The Clavioline was a monophonic portable keyboard instrument designed by Constant Martin in 1947 at Versailles, France. The Clavioline consisted of two units: the keyboard with the actual sound producing unit with controls and a box with amplifier and speaker. By using an octave transposer switch the single oscillator could be set within a range of five octaves (six in the Bode version). The keyboard unit had 18 switches (22 in the Selmer concert version) for controlling timbre ( via a high pass filter and a low pass filter ), octave range and attack plus two controls for vibrato speed and intensity, the overall volume was controlled by a knee lever. Martin produced a duophonic model of the Clavioline in 1949 shaped like a small grand piano and featuring a two note polyphonic system, the duophonic model never went into production.
The Clavioline made brass and string sounds which were considered very natural at the time and was widely used in the 1950's and 60's by pop musicians such as the Del Shannon ('Runaway', 'Hats Off To Larry', 'So Long Baby', 'Hey! Little Girl', 'Handy Man' 1961-1964) Max Crook ('The Snake', 'Peter Gunn' / 'The Breeze and I', The Twistin' Ghost,' 'Greyhound'), The Beatles ('Baby, You're A Rich Man' 1967), The Tornadoes ('Telstar', 'Love and Fury', 'Jungle Fever', 'The Ice Cream Man' 1962-1963), John Barry ('Watch Your Step,' 'Twist It,' 'Starfire' 1962), Joe Meek ('I Hear A New World' album 1960), Bill Ramal ('Reel Favorites' 1963), Ennio Morricone ('Ad Ogni Costo' and 'Theme from a Fistful of Dynamite'), The Marvellettes (on 'Please Mr. Postman' album - 1961), The Posies ('Broken Record' 1996), and by the jazz musician Sun Ra.

Piing

Great! Thank you very much for the documentation :)

Elantric

bump for those who missed this Bill Ruppert VG-99 patch