"Free" iPad Air 2 (128GB) & Logitech Keyboard/Cover & AppleCare Warranty?

Started by Chumly, May 19, 2015, 05:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

speaking of ipad AIR2 - Cowboom had a sale and I got a iPad AIR 2 64GB Wifi for $400

Its currently running IOS 9.02 - I will test with BIAS FX tonight

One thing I notice is iPad AIR 2 is significantly faster than my 2013 iPad Air (expected)   

I was set to get an iPad Pro - but I know its like throwing money away, because the 1st generation of any Apple product typically has a 10 month lifespan, before the 2nd generation model arrives with twice the power and half the bugs.

HAMERMAN409

You mentioned you aren't gigging but for those who are "Set List Maker" has become an invaluable app for me. Extra cool since it also runs on my iPhone so I still have an emergency copy for those times when I don't have my iPad with me. It's also available for Android now.

Chumly

Now that it's iOS sale season, does anyone have suggestions on the best all-in-one app (or combination of apps) for learning guitar parts of songs, plus practicing / looping / slowing down MIDI tracks, audio tracks and YouTube clips, plus learning new scales, modes, rhythms  etc?

For example, JamUp Pro All Access Pack is on sale for $24.99 which seems OK as a guitar processor but not much more.  I already have a Boss - Micro BR BR-80 and it can do some of what I've listed above, but certainly not all, and it's not the most user friendly device.

Maybe Garage Band can do all I've listed I'm not sure, but from what I've read it's more for building and recording tracks than learning / practicing.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

I use the free Yamaha THR Session app  (free) - which was developed by the same team that created JamVox for Korg/Vox

The THR Session app is free. It works with tunes in your iTunes library.
It does not require  the Yamaha THR amp to be used

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6058.msg41581#msg41581

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thr-session-us/id488364313?mt=8

other IOS apps that work for learning songs

MIMICopy
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mimicopy-slow-down-pitch-shift/id405894824?mt=8

Amazing Slow Downer
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amazing-slow-downer/id308998718?mt=8

If you're a musician who likes to learn new songs and techniques by listening to the same piece of music over and over but wish that the music could be played a little slower, then you'll enjoy Amazing Slow Downer.

You can repeat any section of the music at full speed, slow it down or even speed it up by changing the speed between 25% (1/4 of original speed) and 200% (double speed) without changing the pitch!

Change the tuning or musical key? No problem, Amazing Slow Downer handles that as well.

Setup seamless loops by touching the "Set" buttons during playback.

Amazing Slow Downer is the ideal tool for any musician, transcriber or dancer wanting to improve their skills.

Guitar Capo+
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/guitarcapo+/id765105890?mt=8
Description
One of the best sounding guitar apps around — with each single note of the guitar carefully recorded. Highly playable user interface with easy access to hundreds of chords that can be visualized just as they would be played on a real guitar.

TOP10 in several countries!

With GuitarCapo, playing guitar and learning chords turns into a breeze. With simple clicks you can discover the most unique chords. In addition, you can use the built-in capo to transpose chords — just like on a real guitar! With GuitarCapo however, you are shown the name of the new chords you're playing!

Made with passion and 20 years of guitar experience.

"...One of our favourite apps, GuitarCapo+ is now even better..."
- thesoundtestroom.com

"...There are several "play like it's a real guitar" apps for iOS currently available, but what I like about GuitarCapo is its simplicity and unique versatility which no other app in its class offers..."
- apptronica.us

"... this is a very useful tool for any guitar player to have to hand on their iPhone or iPad..."
musicappblog.com

"... a virtual instrument and a whole lot more ..."
scarebear.org

"... few combine the features of GuitarCapo+ ..."
allaboutcapos.com

Already downloaded in 80 countries.

You will find configurable buttons that provide direct access to hundreds of chords with a simple click. In the chord library you will find everything from simple chords to more advanced jazz chords.

You can even make your own chords with the Chord Builder!

All chords can appear on a chord display indicating how they could be played on a real guitar. If you tap them, the chord will be played. It is you who decide how fast the chord should play. This is an amazing way to learn new chords!

The effect mixer allows you to change the sound as you desire; pan each string, delay, reverb, distortion, EQ and volume. You can also save your settings for later use as a preset.

With support for Audiobus, you can use GuitarCapo as a virtual guitar and send sound directly to other apps that also support Audiobus. Read more about Audiobus at audiob.us

With support for Inter-App Audio (IAA) , you can use GuitarCapo as a virtual guitar and send sound directly to other music host apps also support IAA.

With MIDI-in support you can play the sounds in GuitarCapo from any other app sending MIDI or a external MIDI controller through i.e. your Camera Kit

Use GuitarCapo+ as a MIDI controller with MIDI out. This means that you can control the sound in other apps that support MIDI in, ie apps such as iGrand Piano, SampleTank or record MIDI in you favorite sequencer such as Cubasis

Key Features
-----------
- Adjustable strum speed
- Interactive Chord Chart
- Moving capo from 0 to 7 fret
- Select a chord by tapping a chord button
- Easy to set up new chords
- Play on one or several strings at once
- Support for Audiobus
- Inter-App Audio (IAA)
- Effects Mixer with individual string pan and delay, global reverb, distortion, EQ and volume
- Storing and loading your own effect presets
- MIDI-In support
- MIDI-Out support
- Sound selections on the fly
- Unique string fading feature
- Rotate chord buttons and displays
- Hundreds of chords!
- Chord Builder (make/edit/delete custom chords)
- Unlimited chord banks (up/down to change all chord while playing)
- Velocity sensitive strings. Strum slow for lower volume
- 12-string emulation mode
- Play Out mode for on-screen strings
- Compact string mode (improved on-screen playability). iPad only
- Turn on/off background audio
- Sound Tweaker (EQ/gain manipulation when playing). iPad only
- Bass Along mode (play on the chord buttons and chord pads)
- Dynamic Strum mode (change speed after starting a i.e. slow strum)
- MIDI Pad Mode (Play the chord pads with a MIDI controller). iPad only
- MIDI Play Through.
- Configurable MIDI out channel
- "Play Forever/PF" mode. iPad only
- Stop playing strums
- Online User Manual

- Hours of fun :)

Of course there is Jamup Pro and Amplitube IOS and Mobile POD and Yonac ToneStack also offer built in tools for playing your itunes music in slow speed for learning

Chumly

Much obliged as always, and on an unrelated note I was watching The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins when without question I felt a minor quake, enough to wake up my wife and the dog and give the house a good shake! How localized it was I have no way of assessing, but I would assume at least people in the Vancouver B.C. Canada area would have felt it.

I suppose it's time to get a supply of food and water etc. although if / when the big one hits I can't imagine such minimal reserves will help for long, and I do have earthquake insurance on the house but again I doubt such financial resources will be available if / when the big one hits.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

QuoteI felt a minor quake, enough to wake up my wife and the dog and give the house a good shake! How localized it was I have no way of assessing, but I would assume at least people in the Vancouver B.C. Canada

Stay safe

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/uw61114971#general_summary

Chumly

Apple iTunes tells me that I cannot access the US iTunes store (I'm Canadian) and I've had no luck trying to access it from the Yamaha Canada site or the iTunes Canada site. It seems to be either that the iPad2 does not work with THR Session or being in Canada causes some sort of problem?

I did download JamUp PRO (on sale) and I still could buy the All Access Pack on sale but it does not seem to add any improvement in practicing functions over JamUp PRO alone, and it seems to me if I am going to commit to using my iPad2 for mobile guitar processing I would be better off with BIAS FX Std plus BIAS AMP Std instead of the All Access Pack but perhaps I'm wrong?

In any case perhaps the Positive Grid stuff is not the best choice for mobile guitar processing.

Elantric

Its an iTunes Canada issue
(bummer)

Re-review the features of Positive Grids offerings

Both Positive Grid BIAS or BIAS FX (or both used together) have zero tools for learning songs

lately I get the most with Yonac Tonestack with both motherload 1.0 and motherload 2.0
http://www.yonac.com/tonestack/

and Jamup is a good value right now ( $4.99 )- i would also buy the $25 All Access pack to unlock the 8 track recorder and 48 amp channels and 40 effect models

True these are mono FX only, but there is a lot of capability that still runs well on an iPad 2 
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jamup-pro-guitar-amps-multi/id454702113?mt=8

Biggest advice is avoid moving beyond IOS 7 with an old 2012  iPad 2, else you will experience sluggish performance all around

Chumly

Much thanks and oops I have an iPad Air 2 (128) not an iPad 2 and it's running the latest version 9.2, so far it seems OK but from what I've been reading I think I may forgo any future updates.

Update: I tried again this morning to download THR Session from the Yamaha Canada website and it worked (yippee!).  Also I got the All Access Pack plus a number of Aliensporebomb's fave apps: Minimapper, Bebot, iMaschine 2, GrooveMaker, Loopy, Drum Beats+ and Guitar Toolkit.

Frustratingly my ISP is sometimes flakey, and when that happens it's difficult to tell right away if the problem is with my WiFi router (it's never been yet IMHO) or with my ISP and/or their supplied modem (it's always turned out to be IMHO). I have on occasion contacted my ISP after one of these flakey periods (usually lasting a few hours) but they always give me the same story "we will check it for you" and then they'll say "you are getting the speed you should be and we see no problems at our end".  I use Shaw Cable as my ISP and these flakey moments happen about once / twice a month I'd guess.

Chumly

Quote from: SuperNiCd on May 24, 2015, 01:13:00 PM
Wait until app-mania sets in. Still, bet you'll enjoy it!
Oh noooooooo... to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.