GR-55 Firmware Update Version 1.02

Started by Elantric, June 09, 2011, 10:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Edit:

This Firmware has been replaced by newer GR-55 Firmware version 1.50
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6423.msg44055#msg44055

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=GR%2D55&iRcId=62081950&dsp=1

Probably be a while before this is available elsewhere:

Change Details for GR-55 Version 1.02
==========================

How to know the version
Before you start, check the system program version of your GR-55.
Hold down PAGE [ < ] button and PAGE [ > ] button, and turn GR-55 power on.
If this shows the latest version (version 1.02 or later), there's no need to update your GR-55.
After verifying the displayed version, switch off the power.

Update history
Ver.1.02

The following bugs were fixed.
The parameters "LOW GAIN" and "HIGH GAIN" of the EFFECT EQ do not work correctly.
GR-55 hangs up when it keeps powering on without an operation for more than 40 hours.

What you will need to update your GR-55
GR-55
USB Memory ( Roland's M-UF2G is recommended )
* Before you start, use a computer to format the device using the FAT32 file system.
A computer with a USB connector (Windows XP/Vista/7, MacOS X v10.4.3 or later)
Update file downloaded from this page

Cautions with the update
We recommend that you save your user data to a USB memory before you perform the update. If a problem occurs and your user data is lost, you will be able to restore the original state by reloading the data you saved.
Never apply this update data to any product other than the GR-55. This update data may destroy the data or system program of other products.
Never power-off your GR-55 while the update is in progress.
If a power failure or similar accident occurs during the update process, the GR-55 won't be able to start up in normal operating mode. This will require servicing, so you will need to contact Roland service center near you if this occurs.
We regret that we are unable to answer questions regarding the update procedure using this system program. Please perform the update responsibly, following the directions given in this document.

Getting the update file
Please open/extract the downloaded "gr55_sys_v102.zip" file on your computer to get the update files in the "gr55_sys_v102" folder.

Procedure for the update
Never power-off your GR-55 while the update is in progress!

Creating the Update USB memory
Using your computer, copy the "gr55.bin" file to the root directory (top level) of your USB memory.
Do not remove the Thumb drive, instead use your OS command to Eject or Un-mount the USB thumb drive device through the correct procedure, then disconnect from the computer.

Update Procedure
With the GR-55's power turned off, connect your USB memory to the GR-55.
Hold down [ V-LINK ] button and [ USER ] button, and turn GR-55 power on.
The initial screen appears, and then the Display lights up completely.
If you do not see the Display light up after initial screen , try again. The GR-55 may not recognize your USB drive until the 2nd or 3rd attempt.

After a short interval, the update is executed.
When the message Completed! is displayed, the update is finished.
Disconnect the USB memory from the GR-55.
Please verify the version number "1.02" with the procedure described in "How to know the version" part of this document.
When the entire update process has been completed, connect the USB memory to your computer and delete the file "gr55.bin" from USB memory.
=====

During the Update Continue holding V-Link and User Buttons during the Pure White Display which lasts nearly a minute before the Display changes , and then release the Buttons when you see the inverse Text Display with Completion Status Dots.

Download the PDF Instructions below. That's my GR-55's Display during the update in the photos at each step.

djidoe

It's great, my GR-55 was freezing when I was letting it powered... So the problem is fixed !

Thanx Elantric for that info

pappywatts

Yes absolutely cheers!

BUT for the technology challenged people like me... :'(
When using a dongle, formatted and cleaned to load the GR55 bin file onto, remember to format
it on the FAT32 option in windows, it freezes with the FAT 16 version....It may save you a few hours... :)
Yeah I got one of those Smart phones, trouble is it's smarter than the owner....

Variax Kit:JTV69 +GK3,JTV59P +GK2a.
Carvin SH575, Fender Strat USA Roland Ready, Godin ACSA Multiac Nylon usb model.
GR55,GR30,GP-10, VGA7,Baggs Acoustic Reference, Zinky Green Velveteen 18w,JTM45 Head.Yamaha DXR10

redlock

Quote from: Elantric on June 09, 2011, 10:13:34 PM

Update history
Ver.1.02?

The following bugs were fixed.
The parameters "LOW GAIN" and "HIGH GAIN" of the EFFECT EQ do not work correctly.
GR-55 hangs up when it keeps powering on without an operation for more than 40 hours.

out of interest, how were the "LOW GAIN" and "HIGH GAIN" of the EFFECT EQ reacting before the update?

cheers

gumtown

After some eager anticipation during the update process, it "Completed " successfuly. ;D
Now running version 1.02 Build 51    and yet to see what difference it makes to my existing patches EQ.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

QuoteNow running version 1.02 Build 51    and yet to see what difference it makes to my existing patches EQ.

.. . . and check to see any impact on your GR-55 Floorboard Editor too. Roland may have under stated all the internal changes this firmware delivers. Might explain the delay of the MIDI Specification Doc.

ScottStrat

I am unable to locate Rolands M-UF2G.  Any problems using a generic drive? How many gigs?

Jim Williams

I just use a Sansdisk USB stick for my backtracks and it works fine. I also used it for the update with no troubles.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

viramundo

So is it just those 2 things that this update fixes?

The problem of powering off after 40 hours is not something that bothers me.

The other  of "LOW GAIN" and "HIGH GAIN" of the EFFECT EQ not working correctly.
I'm not sure if I've noticed that one, can someone explain in a bit more detail?

DeRigueur

Quote from: gumtown on June 11, 2011, 01:33:17 AM
After some eager anticipation during the update process, it "Completed " successfuly. ;D
Now running version 1.02 Build 51    and yet to see what difference it makes to my existing patches EQ.
I may never see a benefit from updating, but I did it anyway. 
Just needed some excitement in my life ...

Used a generic flash drive--had no problems.
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

JCcares

These are 2 issues I wouldn't really care about for now.There are other major issues like the mute during patch changes for instance that has not been dealt yet!

5strings

I just reverted to 1.02, but now I realize that versions before 1.50 don't output alternate tunings as MIDI-which is a real drag, so now I'll just go back to 1.02. Anyone know if there'll be another fix on the horizon from Roland?

Update: Because I really wanted to keep the alternate tuning MIDI output, I reverted to version 1.07. And the most of the patches with the control-pedal weirdness appeared to work this time. Maybe it's just my GR-55 unit, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it has a few gremlins. This whole issue started with my discovery that somehow, the unit rebooted in bass mode, and it did not appear to output MIDI. I generally leave the automatic power-down off, so I wonder if it's possible that a power spike may have scrambled its brains (or mine).

Elantric

QuoteAnyone know if there'll be another fix on the horizon from Roland?

Highly Unlikely.

wilkinsi

My GR55 already has version 1.50 build 0059/Boot version 1.00. I often find the editor may either crash, alter a parameter without sending the value to the GR55 via USB, or in some cases, not make any audible change at all (examples: changing the PCM's pitch in the editor causes no drop in pitch; Disabling one of the 4 tones and saving the patch, then recalling the patch shows all 4 tones back on again). I have the same USB communication issue with my Boss GT-100 and GT editor. I'm wondering if its the editors or just my USB ports, or even Win Vista itself. Never with my GT-10/editor which use a USB hub, yet the GR55 (or GT-100) use one of the main two USB ports. I found the GR55 sometimes does this on its own too. Or maybe its just Roland/Boss. Who knows.. I've had better success saving patches to PC than to the GR55 from the editor.

gumtown

Both the GR-55 and GT-100 editors are still in a beta limbo state,
the main problem with both is the EZ-Tone editing part causing the problems,
more specifically with the X-Y drag plotting being of different resolution to some parameters,
causing ones like the speaker cab selection to be rounded off to the next value.

Nothing to do with the firmware updates..

Another issue exists with the GT-100 firware, the GT-10 allowed external system exclusive controls to take precedance over the GT user interface, it it the opposite way with the GT-100.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

wilkinsi

Is there by any chance a way to get round this or do we need Boss/Roland to provide updates?

Elantric

I suspect we are stuck. Roland is sole source of firmware 

djidoe

I was real enthusiast when the VG99 was released... but ROLAND never update the product since I bought it, more than 4 years ago. So I bought the GR55 hoping it will be update...

I was wrong...

Last week I received my AXE-FX 2.... The firmware is now at 8.01... and with a lot of new features !!!

Sorry but ROLAND is not in the game anymore and will never be. They failed to provide us updates for their products.

That's sad :(

Djidoe

Kevin M

Bug fixes aside, do they really owe us updates?  I bought my VG99 based on the features advertised, and it has never failed to disappoint me from that perspective.

Elantric

With Roland - Updates after product release are a complete anomaly - and Never to be thought of as an expected event.

In other words, with Roland products , the question is not "When will a firmware update arrive? - but rather "Will there EVER be an update?

FWIW - the VG-99 did receive a firmware update 6 months after release. 

* Current Versions (Oct, 28, 2009)
---------------------------
VG-99: Firmware 1.04, Boot 1.00
FC-300: Firmware 1.02
WinXP USB Driver: 1.00
Vista USB Driver: 1.0.0
Mac OSX USB Driver: 1.01
Mac OSX Snow Leopard Driver: 1.01
Win VG-99 Editor / Librarian: 1.01
Mac VG-99 Editor / Librarian: 1.01A
http://www.roland.co.jp/GK/download.html

drjoness2001

I am not sure I understand...Roland needs to continuously update a product for you to continue to use it?

Was there a problem with the VG-99 that lead you to get the GR-55?

I've been listening to some of Bill Ruppert's old VG-99 demos, they still sound better than any guitar system I've ever heard.

It is exciting when a new feature is added to an instrument, but my piano is forty years old...it has never been updated, and I would not trade it in for any instrument solely on the basis of "updates."

Quote from: djidoe on October 01, 2012, 03:05:07 PM
I was real enthusiast when the VG99 was released... but ROLAND never update the product since I bought it, more than 4 years ago. So I bought the GR55 hoping it will be update...

I was wrong...

Last week I received my AXE-FX 2.... The firmware is now at 8.01... and with a lot of new features !!!

Sorry but ROLAND is not in the game anymore and will never be. They failed to provide us updates for their products.

That's sad :(

Djidoe

djidoe

Yes my friend, in a world of competition they have to improve their product (that is far from perfect... think about nylon guitar in the VG99).  Others companys do upgrade their products. Roland has never improved the VG99 and now the machine is way under competition.

I was looking for better amp simulation in GR55, better effects too. It was very difficult to set up the phaser and flanger in VG99, I was looking for a better way to set them up in the GR55. But nothing was improved...

I owned an old Boss VF-1 and I recognise the way ROLAND COSM sounded... It was the same algorithm as in the VG99... I was real deceived when I heard them in the VG99.

But don't get me wrong, I'm still using my VG99 for some cool stuff. But I'm really deceived it was not upgraded as much as it could be.

Get an AXE-FX 2, you would understand what I'm saying.

I'm always searching to improve my tone and the VG99 was simply not the way to go back then (I thinked it was, but I was wrong)

Thanx

drjoness2001

Well, you certainly hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the nylon guitar. That remains my one big gripe with the VG-99, since I loved the nylon guitar in the VG-88.

For the stuff I like - alternate tunings, GR-300 emulation, layering guitar sounds, there is nothing close to the VG-99.

Elantric

QuoteWell, you certainly hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the nylon guitar. That remains my one big gripe with the VG-99, since I loved the nylon guitar in the VG-88.

Agreed.

Its a damn shame that despite numerous communication, officially Roland US denies this problem exists.

subin

A long time............ Roland doesn't have any recent updates on GR55??  :P
-subin-