GR-55 - MesaBoogie patch

Started by creart, June 13, 2013, 05:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Krebs

I recently used this patch for a smoldering version of "Goin' Down" at a packed club and people went nutz! I usually go for a Marshall tone for that tune. I also added a string pad to it for a bunch of other songs/ Dear Prudence(inst.)-Counting Blue Cars-Semi-Charmed Life etc...what a great patch! So Much Fun To Play! Thanks again!

creart

Very cool Toby  ;D
I tend to use 'm myself a lot too - I have also made some dirtier versions but I like this versions 'sensitivity'... I am able to go from soft to hard picking and really hear that back in the sound... that's what I always loved about it's PODXT's example too..

cheers
Hans

Bluemusic

Good Stuff...I am enjoying these.  I am wondering if anyone has had the issue I am having though-  The volume jumps around.  I did do the 1.5 update recently and I have the standard expression pedal problem...still these patches are much more given to the issue.  Looking for ideas or fixes if anyone had this issue.

Toby Krebs

You probably have a conflict in the assigns. Make sure the exp. pedalks is set to do only one thing i.e. patch volume and not something  else.

Bluemusic

I checked and while nothing else was assigned to the exp pedal, there were lots of things assigned to the control pedal so I removed all assignments and now it's only subject to the "switching between patches volume fart" and that is a ROLAND issue..not a patch.  Thanks for the insight.  I posted on another thread but since this one is alive I thought I might ask here-  Is there a thread that really explains assignments.  I am having a hard time really mastering or even partially mastering the concepts.  THanks again.

Toby Krebs

Update the firmware in your GR55 if you haven't already. I found that helped a lot. The assigns are just a bunch of on/ off switches. Pick a patch and work with it in your spare time using only the assigns and see what they do. That's how I figured it out. Use only that one patch until you have mastered the assign functions. Then move on to others. This was the only way I could get my head around the concept.

Good Luck!

Bluemusic

Toby,
Thanks...I have updated the firmware.  I have some ideas now what to try and will be messing with it to see if I can get it to work.  Gumtown gave a very good answer to the assignments and the definitions in another thread.  So, that along with your prescribed- play with it and it will start making sense suggestion- I think I may actually be on the road to getting into the pool without feeling like a rock with a lead belt.  Thanks.

greekjgg

I'm having a bear of a time tweaking the dirtiest of these tones. Basically I want the "stereo" sounding portion when you engage the CTL pedal on all the time. I don't need to engage it. Ideally, I would use the CTL pedal for a solo boost and then I also want to add "wah" to the expression pedal. I seems the one MOD effect is being used by another effect. I'm trying to "relocate" it so that I can add wah. Is there enough available to do this?

My latest trick was to use the assign 4 to enable MOD WAH when the expression pedal is engaged. I can't get this to work either.
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

creart

Hi, I'll give it a look later on to see what I can do ok?

greekjgg

Quote from: creart on April 15, 2014, 11:30:09 AM
Hi, I'll give it a look later on to see what I can do ok?

That be great; My latest trick was to use the assign 4 to enable MOD WAH when the expression pedal is engaged. I can't get this to work either. Normally I'm fairly decent at tweaking these patches but this one has me scratching my head.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Jim Williams

the problem is the second delay for the stereo sound is in the Mod block so you wont be able to use the wha.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

greekjgg

Quote from: Jim Williams on April 16, 2014, 12:49:19 AM
the problem is the second delay for the stereo sound is in the Mod block so you wont be able to use the wha.

Thats what I see; I didn't know if there was a wah with the extra assignment controls to work around this? add a "wah" when the expression pedal is engaged?
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

creart

@greekjgg
I have tried to change the patch around to keep the WAH option while also getting the 'stereo' effect..
I hope it hasn't changed it too much although it is surely different - hope you like it all the same
cheers
Hans

greekjgg

Quote from: creart on April 25, 2014, 08:45:19 AM
@greekjgg
I have tried to change the patch around to keep the WAH option while also getting the 'stereo' effect..
I hope it hasn't changed it too much although it is surely different - hope you like it all the same
cheers
Hans

Appreciate the help; but you sorta lose that spacey wet  that the Delay in the MOD section adds which is why I love this patch so much. Now, previously I noticed that when I disengaged the 3 Tap Pan Delay that drastically changed the ton as well. I noticed today that it didn't impact the sound. Wondering if the delay in the "MOD" section can be replicated in the "MFX" section so that I can add the WAH in the MOD section?
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

creart

Point is - in the original version that I made, I used the pan options from the MOD and MFX to add the stereo 'width'...
In the one i edited this afternoon I tried to get comparable width from the PAN DELAY in MFX but it's just not the same...
And unfortunately the WAH exists only in MOD, so I lost this pan option...
I will keep trying to get something at least a bit similar including WAH.

cheers
Hans

greekjgg

Quote from: creart on April 25, 2014, 12:21:00 PM
Point is - in the original version that I made, I used the pan options from the MOD and MFX to add the stereo 'width'...
In the one i edited this afternoon I tried to get comparable width from the PAN DELAY in MFX but it's just not the same...
And unfortunately the WAH exists only in MOD, so I lost this pan option...
I will keep trying to get something at least a bit similar including WAH.
Its still an incredible patch; I'm tweaking it and using it as my main patch for rockin. Do you notice that at higher volumes you get feedback at all? Not sure if its within the patch or my setup, etc...Just curious if at the higher decibels you have any issues?

cheers
Hans
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

creart

hey greekjgg
I've just uploaded a rectifier patch which has a similar sort of 'width' but built a slightly other way - it also has a wah under the CTL key.. maybe that is a proper basis for ya to work with?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11145.0

cheers
Hans

greekjgg

Quote from: creart on April 26, 2014, 11:27:40 AM
hey greekjgg
I've just uploaded a rectifier patch which has a similar sort of 'width' but built a slight other way - it also has a way under the CTL key.. maybe that is a proper basis for ya to work with?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11145.0

cheers
Hans

This does have some potential. I downloaded it and played it real quick. I have a gig tonight so not a lot of time to tweak today but I think this is a good starting point definitely!!!
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

creart

Quote from: greekjgg on April 26, 2014, 12:57:35 PM
This does have some potential. I downloaded it and played it real quick. I have a gig tonight so not a lot of time to tweak today but I think this is a good starting point definitely!!!
And??
Was it any good? Useable sound??? Have you edited it to something shareable???
cheers
Hans

greekjgg

Quote from: creart on May 12, 2014, 08:59:51 AM
And??
Was it any good? Useable sound??? Have you edited it to something shareable???
cheers
Hans

Lol....finally got some time to play with this today...I can't figure out whats different other than it has wah? I'm brightening it up for my use...the wah def works....very usable
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

creart

;) I changed the position of the used effects around, so the WAH would be available, but still tried to keep the same stereo 'widening' effect.. the sound is a bit different than the original but not to much, and the WAH was useable, so... job done :)
cheers
Hans

greekjgg

Quote from: creart on May 21, 2014, 12:58:17 PM
;) I changed the position of the used effects around, so the WAH would be available, but still tried to keep the same stereo 'widening' effect.. the sound is a bit different than the original but not to much, and the WAH was useable, so... job done :)
cheers
Hans

Curious how you changed that around and gained the "wah" mod? I played around originally thinking I could do the same thing and was hitting a wall. Is that all you did or did you have to recreate the widening a different way.

Also, do you play this type of patch live with the "widening"? I use 2 combo amps and I have to have them about 5 ft apart to hear that widening effect vs my studio monitors only being about 2 ft apart and sounding so good.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

greekjgg

Quote from: creart on May 21, 2014, 12:58:17 PM
cheers
Hans

Which amp did you use for the "classic" rock version? Not the "shredder" version I REALLY like, but the next one back? I basically use a "metal" sound and then a dialed back "classic" version of this as well. I like to use wah on both. I think I will adjust it so that the wah just kicks on with the expression pedal switch. Save the CTL for maybe a "drop tune"
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

creart

Quote from: greekjgg on May 22, 2014, 06:36:39 AM
Curious how you changed that around and gained the "wah" mod? I played around originally thinking I could do the same thing and was hitting a wall. Is that all you did or did you have to recreate the widening a different way.

Also, do you play this type of patch live with the "widening"? I use 2 combo amps and I have to have them about 5 ft apart to hear that widening effect vs my studio monitors only being about 2 ft apart and sounding so good.

In the original I used a stereo delay with short delay time in MOD to get that even wider stereo effect.
I had to get that from MFX 3 pan delay now, but the effect is slight less - in any case I now had the MOD free for WAH....

I do not play live at this moment, only record and jam.... so no worries for me to get the widening effect clear enough on stage..
It goes straight into the mixer with me and even when playing live I also play straight trough PA.

cheers
Hans

creart

Quote from: greekjgg on May 22, 2014, 01:18:53 PM
Which amp did you use for the "classic" rock version? Not the "shredder" version I REALLY like, but the next one back? I basically use a "metal" sound and then a dialed back "classic" version of this as well. I like to use wah on both. I think I will adjust it so that the wah just kicks on with the expression pedal switch. Save the CTL for maybe a "drop tune"

On my original I used a BG drive Mesa Boogie sound, and for more distorted sound would get more drive...
For the later sound I used a Rectifier Vintage amp that has more of a metal sound.
good luck!!
cheers
Hans