Best Guitar for Guitar Synthesis?

Started by cx1uk, December 21, 2014, 03:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cx1uk

I know a lot of this will be down to personal preference, and I apologise if this has already been discussed... but, I'm going to be in the market for a new guitar I can use to control my GR55 and I wondered if there is one in particular that you'd recommend?

At the moment, I've a GK3 fitted on a StratPlus and it's OK, but I still suffer occasional mis-triggers, especially on the lower strings. I'm looking for a guitar that tracks well and with good tuning stability. Whammy bar would be nice, but not a deal breaker. A fitted GK3 is also not a deal breaker as I'll be getting a guitar-tech to fit it if necessary.

At the moment, I'm considering these:
Roland ready Strat GC-1 (http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12012616573232)
Godin LGXT Trans Blue (http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=08012514290818)

The Roland ready Strat is, to me, the obvious one, though I really don't like the default colours! I'm tempted by the Godin (it's gorgeous in the flesh... much bluer), but I've seen a few threads where people aren't happy about the tracking/phantom triggering which are the specific problems I'm trying to avoid.

Or, should I be looking at something like a Brian Moore iGuitar or a Tom Anderson?

In short, I'm open to suggestions, but I really need whatever I have to have spot on tracking... and look pretty...

All thoughts and advice welcome!
Strat Plus
PRS CE Custom24
Taylor A10e
Fender and Bassman Amps
Korg Synths
GR-55
GT-100

Mac Software

and a banjo (Sorry)

rolandvg99

Using a '93 Strat plus myself with an internal GK-2 and I find that one working great, but then again I rarely use the MIDI-conversion possibilities of the V-units. I do however love the synth sections of my VG-99. False triggers often relate to bad frets, behind the saddle harmonics, magnetic pickups being too close to the strings, sloppy freehand technique, worn/thin/material choice pick related issues. Picking position also make a great impact (too close to bridge, picking near harmonic string positions and so on).

To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Vade

Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

kenact

I am primarily a rhythm guitarist, doing only a few leads, and I've never shredded anything. :)

Just from a guitar perspective, I love my LGXT, and prefer it over my Strat, because it gives me a much greater variation of sounds to choose from. I've been using my LGXT to drive both a GR-33 & GR-55. It works fine for what I'm doing.

Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

BackDAWman

Steinberger ZT3. Excellent for triggering synths with the GK3 into my GR55. I think the headless design prevents extraneous noises from sympathetic string vibration from above and below the nut and bridge.

It plays well and I love the Transtrem 3 for it's stability. Stays rock solid in tune.

Vade

Those Steinbergers always looked interesting to me BackDAWman and now that I'm looking at it your whole rig looks pretty interesting. I'm rockin an xtSA myself but I also have an iPad air and an FTP, and a VL3, and a GP-10, and I see you're using Onsong. I picked up SetListMaker myself but I'm wondering how you've put your rig together and whether you've gotten the MIDI routing figured out or if you even bother. Do you have a thread somewhere around here where you've talked about your rig? Inquiring minds...
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

mooncaine

Quote from: BackDAWman on December 21, 2014, 04:35:15 PM
Steinberger ZT3. Excellent for triggering synths with the GK3 into my GR55.

.... Stays rock solid in tune.

How well do the strings line up with your GK3 pickup? Do you have a a photo of your GK pickup on that guitar? I'd love to see it. I've sometimes fantasized about getting one of those guitars. I think I'm going to try to fall in love with a guitar that matches the GK pickup's width better, if I can. So far, my axes have all been pretty narrow.

Glad to hear it stays in tune. I really value that a lot in a guitar with a whammy bar.

cx1uk

Thanks for all the replies. Much to consider. My biggest problem is that I am only able to try the Godin and the GC-1. The mention of Steinberger just makes me regret not buying one when they first came out. :-)
Strat Plus
PRS CE Custom24
Taylor A10e
Fender and Bassman Amps
Korg Synths
GR-55
GT-100

Mac Software

and a banjo (Sorry)

Elantric

My favorite in 2014 is my Godin LGX-SA with Bigsby style tremolo

thebrushwithin

IMO, you can't wrong with a Godin LGX-SA, or LGXT.

BackDAWman

Quote from: Vade on December 21, 2014, 05:34:59 PM
Those Steinbergers always looked interesting to me BackDAWman and now that I'm looking at it your whole rig looks pretty interesting. I'm rockin an xtSA myself but I also have an iPad air and an FTP, and a VL3, and a GP-10, and I see you're using Onsong. I picked up SetListMaker myself but I'm wondering how you've put your rig together and whether you've gotten the MIDI routing figured out or if you even bother. Do you have a thread somewhere around here where you've talked about your rig? Inquiring minds...

ATM I have two rigs; one for the solo show and one for the band

I have just moved over to Ableton Live 9 for the heart of both rigs (we use backing tracks). It provides all the MIDI control.

Solo show: Macbook Pro > ESI midimate >VL3
                                        >Neusonik IM ONE>iPad Air (OnSong)
                                        >GP-10
All FX and patch changes are done by Ableton

The Band: Macbook Pro>Neusonik IM ONE>iPad Air(OnSOng)
                                                  >GR-55
                                                  >Play GTX
                                     >Zoom G3
I have the G3 in the DIY loop of the Gr-55 along with a EHX Iron Lung for talk box effects.

Again I use Ableton to switch all my FX and patches.

In the solo show I use the VL3 for talk box effects and, when I can get some time to nut it out, I want to use the VL3 with the band.
I have to use a separate mic and stand for the Iron Lung but you can do it all from the one mic with the VL3.

I hope that makes sense. If not feel free to ask questions

@mooncaine
The strings line up quite well, almost spot on. I also have a GC-1 strat and I have had a GK on an Ibanez ARZ800 but the Steinies work the best.

My next project, funds permitting, will be to get another Steinie and fit it out with the FTP.

Vade

@BackDAWman

I think I get the general outline and so many thanks for taking the time to outline your rig. I'm just coming to grips with much of the MIDI gear I've purchased and so the image you should have in mind about that is the chimp congratulating himself for figuring out how to use the calculus textbook as an umbrella.  ::)

shawnb

Use the guitar you love to play.  Find a way to make it work.   

I realize there are exceptions, guitars where mounting is difficult, but I think those are exceptions..   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

mooncaine

Quote from: cx1uk on December 22, 2014, 02:13:07 PMThe mention of Steinberger just makes me regret not buying one when they first came out. :-)
Mine's pretty humble. It's the all-wood, $400 version. You can still get it.

Now that I'm seeing BackDAWMan's post, saying that his GK pickup lines up with the strings on his Steinberger ZT3... I'm thinking of saving my money for one of those... maybe. If they stopped making ZT3s, I probably won't go for it, though.

mooncaine

Quote from: BackDAWman on December 22, 2014, 03:59:54 PM
@mooncaine
The strings line up quite well, almost spot on. I also have a GC-1 strat and I have had a GK on an Ibanez ARZ800 but the Steinies work the best.

Great to know! If only I could actually try Steinbergers in a guitar shop, I might already have one of those ZT3s.

The Steinbergers that I have, the all-wood GT Pro models, definitely do not line up with the GK pickup--their string spacing is too narrow--but it's taken me a few years to realize what I'm missing because of that slight mismatch.

BackDAWman

The IM One doesn't need drivers. I use it with my iPad and my Macbook Pro.

HecticArt

This seems like a good thread to tack on to.

I'm looking at similar choices for a new 13 pin guitar.

My hunch is that the Godin LGXT is a better built and playing guitar. There aren't any locally that I can play without ordering one first. There is a used MIM Roland Ready Strat available for $700. At about $1000 less than the Godin, it might not be bad to have as a backup or something to leave at practice. But in terms of playability, tracking, sound quality, build quality, etc, is there a hands down winner that people have thoughts on? We'll pretend that money isn't an issue. (I'm thinking about signing up to test experimental pharmaceuticals......) 

Elantric

Trevor

Quote from: HecticArt on March 24, 2016, 10:11:26 AM
This seems like a good thread to tack on to.

I'm looking at similar choices for a new 13 pin guitar.

My hunch is that the Godin LGXT is a better built and playing guitar. There aren't any locally that I can play without ordering one first. There is a used MIM Roland Ready Strat available for $700. At about $1000 less than the Godin, it might not be bad to have as a backup or something to leave at practice. But in terms of playability, tracking, sound quality, build quality, etc, is there a hands down winner that people have thoughts on? We'll pretend that money isn't an issue. (I'm thinking about signing up to test experimental pharmaceuticals......)
Everything being equal, I find headless guitars to track better, more fundamental or less overtones I'm guessing, if you have a guitar that you just LOVE and don't mind a pragmatic approach to life, a headless bridge system can make that guitar a bit better, AND ou'll never have the headstock breaking off worry.
Side note PLEASE be careful which studies you sign up for, I know of two buddies that did Pharmaco studies in Austin in the 90's, both did the heart medicine study (more money) both had heart attacks in thier 30's.