Roland-Ready Strat guts transplant minus some parts

Started by burningyen, November 17, 2014, 08:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burningyen

I'm contemplating transplanting the guts of my MIM Roland-Ready Strat to a different Strat-like guitar. I never, ever use the patch up/down buttons or the synth volume knob. Will the GK system function ok if I remove those parts?
Ben
www.burningyen.com
www.b-wayguitars.com

ZenSonic

Yes, I have an RR Strat that Has only a GK2A and a volume knob. Kind of a Strat GK Driver... Works great. If the guitar you are modding has a pick guard you could keep the volume pot for the synth wired in and on it's highest setting then recess it under the pickguard if you don't want/need access. I would also add that you might want to keep and store the up/down buttons and all other unused RR electronics. I gave mine away thinking I had no use for them only to find out later when I attempted to sell the guitar that it was less appealing to many would be buyers without the missing functions. I thought it was perfect! hehe

burningyen

Thanks. I guess the question is why would I leave the volume pot connected and hidden away as opposed to simply unplugging it. Does the GK system need to see a certain resistance value when the synth volume is full up?
Ben
www.burningyen.com
www.b-wayguitars.com

ZenSonic

I don't know the answer to that question. I am just reporting what I know works from my experience. I can say with certainty that the up/down patch buttons are not necessary in order for the synth pickup to function normally.

Elantric

QuoteI never, ever use the patch up/down buttons or the synth volume knob. Will the GK system function ok if I remove those parts?

Without a GK Volume Control - you will have a battle using any Shared patches - as most all employ the Gk Vol paramater preassigned to control volume.

I advise use the Resistor voltage divider circuit that feeds +5VDC down Pin #8 GK-VOL - this will make any connected VG/GR/GP-10 act as if your GK Vol knob is on "10"
Here is the Voltage divider circuit to fix the GK-VOL on "10"

burningyen

Thanks, guys. So am I correct that the GK2A circuit board has a 25k resistor that forms a voltage divider with the 50k pot? Could I achieve the same results as what you're suggesting if I simply desoldered the wires from the synth volume pot and replaced the pot with a 50k resistor? I don't think I can pull off soldering inside the DIN13 housing.
Ben
www.burningyen.com
www.b-wayguitars.com

Elantric

Just verify you are achieving exactly +5VDC ( no more / no less) on Pin #8 

The schematic above is simply provided as only a good reference for Resistors values  for a working +5V Voltage Divider

( no need to fit this inside a Cable or DIN Connector) 

connect the Voltage Divider to Pin #8 "GK-VOL" connection  - and be sure nothing else is connected to Pin # 8

Most simply leave the 50K GK Vol Pot (set on "10") floating inside the Guitar under the pickguard - just be sure its isolated and not electrically shorting out other circuits. Upon completion,  Use a voltmeter and confirm / verify you are achieving exactly +5VDC ( no more / no less) on Pin #8   

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on November 17, 2014, 11:35:47 AM
confirm / verify you are achieving exactly +5VDC ( no more / no less) on Pin #8

If you go above 5Volts (full volume) the GP-10 will flash and tell you to connect a GK-pickup. It gets me thinking there's s pull up to a higher voltage on the inside. I found this out by mistake when messing around with my project boxes...

A 78L05 and two small caps (one on the 7V side and the other on the 5V output side) would do the trick in a more robust way.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!