Show your GK Guitar

Started by Virtual Tone, February 22, 2008, 11:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenact

Quote from: Yohanes on September 04, 2015, 06:38:06 PM
I don't have old Roland 24-pin synth, just have Boss GP-10 so I modded my Roland G-707 into a 13-pin guitar. From outside, nothing is changed, but the electronic inside the guitar has been modded a bit.

Very nice. How's the tracking?
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Yohanes

Thanks, I am not a good guitar player, but AFAIK I am pleased with the tracking. I am not trying/tested with OSC synth yet or models that forum members report problematic tracking. Compare it with my Godin Freeway SA and cheap Ibanez equipped GK-3 which sensitivity setting in Boss GP-10 is set around 60 to 70, Roland G-707 setting is around 10-20.
Note: I use generic 009 string set for testing this G-707. I hope using bigger, good quality strings will improve the tracking (especially the sustain of the high E string). I am thinking of using a 011 set strings for this guitar, but for now is enough.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

GuitaRasmus

Hi guys, new user here, but a whopping 2 year veteran of Synth guitar use.  ;) I play in a covers band, and I would be bummed out if I had to go back to "just" playing regular guitar, after having experienced how much extra one can bring to the game with guitar synth. I use a GR-55 (as well as an Atomic Amplifire - really excited about the pending Ax8 as well), and these two beauties:

White Warmoth tele (built last january)

My newest Warmoth, built this weekend:

IanRamos

Quote from: GuitaRasmus on November 09, 2015, 08:52:18 AM
Hi guys, new user here, but a whopping 2 year veteran of Synth guitar use.  ;) I play in a covers band, and I would be bummed out if I had to go back to "just" playing regular guitar, after having experienced how much extra one can bring to the game with guitar synth. I use a GR-55 (as well as an Atomic Amplifire - really excited about the pending Ax8 as well), and these two beauties:

White Warmoth tele (built last january)

My newest Warmoth, built this weekend:

wow , they are beautiful ...

i also prefer the teles with a strat headstock ...

Headless68

I just got a facebook notification from Warmoth with your Blue quilt Tele guitar on :-) 
....You know you got it right when the manufacturer uses your guitar as an example to others

braccio

Here is the guitar that I just finished. It's a Warmoth body and neck with Seymore Duncan P-Rails and Vintage Rail in the middle position. Having everything internal is way nicer than having the GK pickup wart on a guitar.

Hmm, it appears that I'm not wise in the ways of image manipulation on this site.

Headless68

This looks interesting - Fender custom shop Strat - Tripleplay and GK 13pin out - only one hex pickup - the FTP is marked 'experimental' on the back

whippinpost91850

rsm

No picture yet, but I added a GK-3 to one of my matte black Steinberger Synapse SS-2F guitars.

My Gittler Classic, has built in hex system (standard feature):

rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice

Headless68

not played a Gittler - how does that neck feel to play? it does not 'look' like it would be comfortable (no relief for your left hand) ? 

I personally love not having a head to bash into stuff but it divides opinion that's for sure :-)

Elantric

Quotenot played a Gittler - how does that neck feel to play? it does not 'look' like it would be comfortable (no relief for your left hand) ? 

They ship the Gittler with optional "Gittler Guard" clear neck back  - for a more traditional Neck feel

all covered in the Gittler Guitar thread here:
http://gittlerinstruments.com/gittler-guitar

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7119.msg49669#msg49669

rsm

Yes, you can get an optional acrylic "snap-on" neck with a few profile options, which I did not purchase. 

It's actually very comfortable to play, I found a position to rest my right (picking/strumming) arm on the guitar strap allowing my hand to float comfortably; the first 1-2 hours was interesting learning the left hand feel, after a few more hours my left hand just adjusted to playing with just a few issues. 

It's very light weight.  They offer different color LED fret markers, I chose white LEDs, it's also very bright sounding, I had to reduce the guitar treble all the way down and bump the bass up a few clicks using my patches designed for my Steinbergers with EMG 81/85. It out jangles and chimes my Rics, bright and pleasant not icepicking.  I tend to like bright guitars like Rics, my Steinbergers sound much darker but the EMGs are neutral/balanced tones I find, I just dial in patches for them. I'm very happy with this guitar.
rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice

myksara

Quote from: A2theT on February 23, 2008, 03:04:38 PM
Ibanez RG-540P
How have you mounted the gk3 controller near the guitar controls?

Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

madbanjoman

I just added a GK-3 to this 2002 Kramer Nightrider that I bought off of the now defunct Musicyo web site.  Besides the GK-3, it is completely stock.  It is one of the "US" models which meant it had some use parts like gotoh tunes and US made humbucker pickups.  It is light with a great neck and is now even more versatile with the GK-3 and the GP-10.  The stock pickups are believed to be the same pickups that Gibson was putting in the their American made guitars at the time.  I have two guitars equipped with GK-3 pickups.  One of the reason's I choose this guitar is that I could install the GK-3 with the tune-a-matic bracket and rubber spacers.  I tried using the sticky tape installation and wasn't very happy with it. 

Anatma

Still setting up and figuring everything out  :)

aliensporebomb

Finally back and functional:

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumbo

Great Drive-By shot asb !!   ;D

BTW, were any of us close in the diagnosis ??

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

aliensporebomb

Quote from: gumbo on June 25, 2016, 11:32:08 PM
Great Drive-By shot asb !!   ;D

BTW, were any of us close in the diagnosis ??

Peter

The tech owned up that he mis-wired the black wire and it was literally back to me the same day.  I've spent more time setting the action the way I like it than dealing with electronic bugaboos thankfully.   It plays really nice now.

gumbo

That's really good news!
Hope you really enjoy it..   :D

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

aliensporebomb

I will!  I'm finally back to two GK guitars and couldn't be happier.

HecticArt

I finally installed the internal GK kit on my Reverend Reeves Gabrels Signature.

I made a custom mounting plate for the pickup that fits under the pickup mounting ring to minimize the permanent damage to the finish on the guitar, and to allow a little room for adjustment if needed.

The GK volume is to the left of the chrome controls plate. The GK/guitar selector fit between the tone and volume knobs on the control plate. The GK up/down and LED went into the pick guard which can easily be replaced.

The only significant cuts were for the 13 pin jack plate on the side, and a cavity for the preamp on the back.

The GK pup is held on with the double-stick tape at the moment. I'm still looking for the right nut & bolt combo to use with my mounting bracket. Once I have that detail resolved, I'll put a cover over the wires that run under the mounting ring. It's close enough to play for now, and sooo much better looking than the external GK-3 I started with.

whippinpost91850

Very nice job on a very nice looking guitar

HecticArt

Thanks Whip.
It's a great player too! Tons of sonic versatility even before the GK was added.

Elantric

Great work - I need to do this with my MG-510  - its a twin of yours !

whippinpost91850