Frippertronics...

Started by Cricket, July 12, 2013, 01:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cricket

Hey all -

I tried Shawnb's Frippertronics method described here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6845.25

It works, but I found I was getting about 2 audible repeats before the loop trailed off.  Anyone know of a way to increase the volume and number of repeats?  Ideally, the loop would age over a matter of minutes, not seconds.

Or, I suppose, if anyone knows that this can't be made to happen, that would be good to know also.

Thanks,

C

shawnb

It's all about experimenting with volume settings.    The most important TWO volume settings are the AUX and INST input volumes.    The higher the ratio of your AUX (sub out) to INST (New material in), the longer the tail.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Cricket

@shawnb - Thanks.  I will try it some more.  I figured there was probably a way, since in one of your posts you said it was "singing to you right now" or something to that effect.   Part of the problem is I only partially understand why your method works, heh, heh.  I suppose time, practice, and a little more thought will clear that up.

One of those things I'd been meaning to try and finally did.   Anyway, thanks for doing the "heavy lifting."  I'll see what I can make out of your reply.

Peace,

C

Cricket

@shawnb - Got it.   Works great.   Thx again.

shawnb

Fwiw: My favorite effect to use is the phaser, at minimum settings....
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

... and when using the phaser, it's best NOT to measure-align the tempo. 

I.e., if the RC has a 4-measure tempo on the phaser, and you record a 4-measure loop, then after a bunch of cycles the phaser completely takes over, as its effect has been completely exaggerated by being run thru the loop on the exact same phaser cycle over & over.   Kinda cool, yes, but kinda wild...

aliensporebomb

You guys are killing me here.  Now before I go home after work I have to grab a stereo mini to dual quarter inch cable somewhere (Radio Shack?)
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Cricket

Maybe.  My local RS had nothing.   I ordered one from Amazon... $5.88.   The Shawnb Frippertronics method works great.   Lots of fun.

aliensporebomb

Guitar Center had the cable.  It's a "LiveWire CMP-153" which is a 3 foot cable. 

The Behemoth has Landed:

'

It didn't take long before I had a 30 minute Frippertronics loop going but I still am trying to figure out how to make the earlier loops fade sooner - sometimes they'd hang on for a few minutes.  I still am learning how to use this thing and it's got a learning curve just as impressive as the VG-99 in some ways.

I'm still thinking "Well, I could return it and get the Pigtronix" but this sounds terrific so far, it's just big and my pedalboard is already big (the photo is just two pieces of it).  I'm still trying to figure out if the sound is going to work for me.  It's definetely brighter than my old looper tonally - the high end was just a bit duller but still rich.  The 300 is definetely brighter which works well for the synthy sounding patches I use sometimes.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Cricket

Quote from: aliensporebomb on July 20, 2013, 06:47:19 AM
Guitar Center had the cable.  It's a "LiveWire CMP-153" which is a 3 foot cable. 

The Behemoth has Landed:

'

It didn't take long before I had a 30 minute Frippertronics loop going but I still am trying to figure out how to make the earlier loops fade sooner - sometimes they'd hang on for a few minutes.  I still am learning how to use this thing and it's got a learning curve just as impressive as the VG-99 in some ways.

I'm still thinking "Well, I could return it and get the Pigtronix" but this sounds terrific so far, it's just big and my pedalboard is already big (the photo is just two pieces of it).  I'm still trying to figure out if the sound is going to work for me.  It's definetely brighter than my old looper tonally - the high end was just a bit duller but still rich.  The 300 is definetely brighter which works well for the synthy sounding patches I use sometimes.

The ratio of aux in to inst in controls the aging:   higher aux in to inst in = longer aging.   To shorten the time, decrease aux in relative to inst in.   Also, I've been lowering aux in a lot sometimes to forcibly decay a loop I'm "done with,"  then bringing it back up before it's all gone to continue adding new material.  Fun, fun, fun.

The learning curve isn't as bad as the 55 or the 99.   You'll get it quickly, I think.

Enjoy.