VG-99 - Aside from the VG-99, what is your favorite piece of gear?

Started by A2theT, January 29, 2010, 06:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGuitarPlayer

Well, I own a GR-33, which I quite like, but the sounds aren't amazing.  Probably my best bit of kit other than the VG-99 is a BOSS PW-10 V-Wah:

It's basically the Wah models from the GT-6, but the pedal uses a laser instead of a pot, which is darn cool.  Of course, with the VG-99, getting it into the effects loop is pretty much impossible, so it sits in a case on the floor of my bedroom, unused, but loved.

Now_And_Then

I am very impressed! That Lovetone Question Mark Flanger is one truly ugly piece of kit!
Have you got any mp3's up anywhere of what you do with it, and also what you describe doing with the Echoplexes? I would be interested in hearing them.

I remember buying a Mutron Octave Divider, when I needed something to record bass tracks when I got my PortaStudio 144 and could not afford a bass guitar. And I also had a real Echoplex too.

A2theT

I got a pair of these beauties on the weekend and my VG and vocals are crystal clear through them!  They've never sounded better.

Behringer Ultratone K900FX Keyboard Amplifier - 1x12 inch, 90 watts each

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Elantric

QuoteAside from the VG-99,  what is your favorite piece of gear?

My all time favorite gear for live performance

Lasko Pro Performance Blower Fan, 4900

Keeps me cool and sweat free at front of the stage when I play 3 hour shows
Dual AC Power outlets are a nice help too when stage power for pedal boards is scarce. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DNGSCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Perfect tagalong fan for cooling off at any job
High-velocity motor provides powerful air circulation
2 120-volt accessory outlets with safety circuit breaker and 10-foot power cord with grounded plug
Pivoting blower head for adjusting airflow angle
1-year limited warranty, ETL listed

Bill Ruppert

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Bill Ruppert

OMG that was my studio secret for many years!
I have 2 of them.
First one I bought in the UK and put a new transformer in it for use here in the US.
Such a great pedal.

Quote from: alexmcginness on June 01, 2015, 12:57:31 PM

Ive got three of these. I love em.

aliensporebomb

Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp
Lexicon Vortex [wonderful misunderstood machine]
Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai

Just three...(for now)..
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

alexmcginness

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on June 01, 2015, 02:02:38 PM
OMG that was my studio secret for many years!
I have 2 of them.
First one I bought in the UK and put a new transformer in it for use here in the US.
Such a great pedal.

I modeled my settings on the TO-2  into the 99. Those pedals are getting pricey. I paid $110 CDN for the first one when they first came out. I never really looked after it so it got beaten up. I figured I should get a spare so I found "one" online for $260 US. The third one which is near mint, I picked up on E-bay a couple of years later for $49CDN.
    Nady made a version of this pedal too. If you can find one they are worth the cash IMO. Good hunting.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

aliensporebomb

Ah, the Nady one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nady-TO-2-Tube-Overdrive-/171809392068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2800a345c4

They also released another iconic tube overdrive - the TD1:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nady-TD-1-Tube-Distortion-Stomp-Box-EFFECTS-PEDAL-/181757257993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a5193a909

That particular pedal was the same electronics as the Westbury Tube Overdrive favored by Shawn Lane.

Anyway, for me that Studio Preamp has been my go-to clean/overdrive/distortion sound for over 20 years and it's build like a 1940s Shortwave radio - like a tank!

That Lexicon Vortex I spoke of: the one thing I neglected to mention is it's virtually an instrument in its own right.  The "patches" if you will are more like control points in complex programs.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

QuoteBoss gigadelay DD-20 used as a dual stereo looper

Currently on sale at Sweetwater for $139  BTW.

Brak(E)man

For that price get a couple
I already have 2 ,
one for backup
If the new
Dd500 had USB audio I'd get that one as well
As I understand it it doesn't

- Lydia Lunch

thebrushwithin

QuoteFor that price get a couple
I already have 2 ,
one for backup
If the new
Dd500 had USB audio I'd get that one as well
As I understand it it doesn't

According to Sweetwater, it does have both USB midi and audio. I hope they are correct!

"Boss jumped ahead of the Summer NAMM game by introducing the DD-500 Digital Delay pedal today. The DD-500 takes the delay pedal to new heights with powerful creative possibilities and tons of control options. Every aspect of the pedal has been optimized, from the 32-bit/96kHz converters to the 12 reverb types. Whether you're after vintage delays or groundbreaking new delay types, the DD-500 delivers in a big way. Check out these features:

Buffered or true bypass operation
32-bit/96kHz converters
Analog dry through for maximum signal integrity
Up to +8dB input level
12 different delay modes with everything from classic to modern to futuristic
200 presets
MIDI in and out with MIDI clock sync
USB MIDI and audio
Dual delay function — two completely different delay algorithms simultaneously"

Brak(E)man

Quote from: thebrushwithin on September 03, 2015, 08:59:58 AM
According to Sweetwater, it does have both USB midi and audio. I hope they are correct!

"Boss jumped ahead of the Summer NAMM game by introducing the DD-500 Digital Delay pedal today. The DD-500 takes the delay pedal to new heights with powerful creative possibilities and tons of control options. Every aspect of the pedal has been optimized, from the 32-bit/96kHz converters to the 12 reverb types. Whether you're after vintage delays or groundbreaking new delay types, the DD-500 delivers in a big way. Check out these features:

Buffered or true bypass operation
32-bit/96kHz converters
Analog dry through for maximum signal integrity
Up to +8dB input level
12 different delay modes with everything from classic to modern to futuristic
200 presets
MIDI in and out with MIDI clock sync
USB MIDI and audio
Dual delay function — two completely different delay algorithms simultaneously"

I hope so to but there's nothing on the boss page that suggest USB audio
That I can see anyway
http://www.boss.info/products/dd-500/support/

- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

QuoteAccording to Sweetwater, it does have both USB midi and audio. I hope they are correct!
That info is wrong - Sweetwater often has errors BTW - For example, when the Fishman Tripleplay was new, Sweetwater's FTP spec sheet incorrectly stated FTP  was capable of feeding both Wireless Audio and MIDI into your iPad.   

Read the Boss DD500 reviews and specs here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15510.0

DD500's USB port is strictly for MIDI I/O  - no Audio

Review
https://biesiadecki.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/boss-dd-500-digital-delay-pedal/

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22764-boss-announces-the-rv-6-reverb-and-dd-500-digital-delay
QuoteBoss DD500 . . .  On board USB provides a simple computer connection for patch backup and MIDI control with DAW software.

ffata

vanceg

My favorite pice of gear other than my VG-99 is... my spare VG-99...which has some patches I should really download onto my main VG-99.  10 years later!

Smash

Haven't touched the vg99 for months. Went back to it a couple of days ago. Totally forgot about a patch I'd been making which sounds classic rock tastic! Need to tweak it a bit but if I can get it to clean up via gk3 vol better than it does I'll post it up...

Favourite piece of gear? Tonestack nothing out there as flexible pound for pound

alexmcginness

Quote from: vanceg on February 26, 2018, 11:47:57 PM
My favorite pice of gear other than my VG-99 is... my spare VG-99...

I was just gonna post the same thing but you beat me to it.

Headless68

I was thinking my planet waves 13 pin cables .....to go into my VG99 :-)

Piing

The Axe-FX III is my favorite piece of gear.

The VG99 connected to the Axe-FX III second input is my favorite gear combination.

Before the Axe-FX II I had the Axe-FX II, the Axe-FX Ultra and the Axe-FX Standard.
Before the VG99 I had the VG88 and the VG8

ps: Since I have the Axe-FX, I never use Roland COSM. Only guitar modelers, alternate tuning and synths.

shawnb

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

whippinpost91850

sixeight

VController.... makes the VG-99 work like a Helix
But then I bought a Helix.
Does that sound confused?