VG-99 - Aside from the VG-99, what is your favorite piece of gear?

Started by A2theT, January 29, 2010, 06:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A2theT

I've looked at so many toys lately.  Just trying to find something new that maybe compliments the VG. 
i.e the Moog Guitar, the Axon MkII, a cool stereo amp, a sweet guitar, etc..
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

washburn100

Been following the "YOU ROCK GUITAR" thingy on some of the forums. Should be good for hours of entertainment. Look on youtube

Elantric

QuoteBeen following the "YOU ROCK GUITAR" thingy

Re YRG - I'm Customer # 118

Join the You Rock Guitar Forum here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=437.0

A2theT

thanks guys. I signed up for this.  waiting for email response for order.

in the meantime I guess I'm stuck with one of these  http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/c498/
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Elantric

Now_And_Then

Is that a piece of equipment suitable for serious musicians? 
It does not particularly look like a real instrument, and, from
what I have read on the websites so far, is not really being
advertised as such, although at the same time it kinda sorta
is being advertised as such.

Does it require a game-cartridge? I recall that when
I got my Ovation in the very early 70's, many of my school-
mates came by to marvel at my battery-operated, plastic
guitar. As if they had never even heard of Maccaferri. (And
in fact, they hadn't.) But a guitar for which game-cartridges
available, even if not required, is, well, you know....

(The battery in the Ovation, for those who don't know,
was for the piezo pickup in the bridge.)

And how effective is it as a midi controller? If it could do
that well, I would buy one instantly, even though my
initial thought would be to wait until v2 is released, unless
it is firmware-updatable. And maybe even if it is.

And would it be possible to take out the electronics and
put them in a real guitar, because my idea is - and call me
cynical if you must! - my idea is that for that price, you
are simply not going to get a "finely crafted instrument".
It would be interesting to see how much space is needed
for the internal electronics. I could imagine taking a Variax,
adding the YouRock components, sticking in a pair of, let's
say, Gibson '57 re-issues, putting a Gk on it, and, just in
sort of a general way, having lots of fun!
Or taking all those components and mounting them on a
non-guitar body; I have in mind the Shovel-guitar video.

admin

answers are in the videos here:
Join the You Rock Guitar Forum here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=437.0

http://www.yourockguitar.com/2009/12/what-can-you-do-with-a-true-digital-guitar/

You Rock Guitar Features: (Dec. 2009)
============================

• Breakthrough Digital Guitar for Gaming and Rocking

• Fast Multi-Touch Game Controller (Guitar Hero™/Rockband™) vie wireless bluetooth.

• MIDI controller with multi-channel MIDI modes: Mono & Poly

• USB controller for Mac/PC MIDI Music

• Plug in your MP3 player/iPod™/iPhone™

• Whammy Bar for real pitch bend and game play

• 25 Easy, fun tracks to jam with. Add more later! (flash memory upgradeable via USB)

• 25 Digitally sampled guitars

• 50 Synth sounds for doubling, solos, pads.

• Bridge Mute for strings, star power and overdrive

• No Tuning required!

• 10 Open-tuning presets

• You Rock Mode™ - never play a bad note!

• Record your performances and practices.

• Battery-powered for portable music making

100 Guitar & Synth Presets – blends, mix sounds, levels, tunings, capos, tap mode, open mode.

25 Sampled Real Guitars – Strats, Les Pauls, Acoustics, Nylons, 12-strings, Telly's all 16 bit long samples.

25 You Rock Mode™ Tracks – just the rocking start to learning all the progressions that changes the world

50 Alternate Tunings – From Hendrix and Hutchins, Mitchell and Hedges plus the classics.

Digital Capo – No need to tune a single string.

Tap Mode – When you're felling like Eddie, we ready to deliver

Whammy Bar – pitch bend up or down.

Vibrato Joystick – for that mushroom sustained amp feedback effect.

1/4" and stereo mini output – Yeah we got that.

On-board recorder – take the You Rock Guitar anywhere and still save your creations

MIDI & USB – the fastest and easiest, all 16 channels plus Mono modes on Channels 1-6 or 11-16

Note the NAMM demo models' Control Panel has a button for "Slide mode"

"Sliding has always been available. in fact ,in two flavors, retrig the envelope (attack) and not. (more like a trill on a solo) The erroneous information was spread? by folks who had never played the guitar. You do have to slide your finger with some slight pressure on the "string" though I saw someone at NAMM apply no pressure and wonder why sliding wasn't perfect... it's great, but not psychic!"

It is rather like a "poor mans"  Starrlabs Ztar

Membrane fretboard, with "simulated strings" as ridges running full length. 22 frets, - not capable of string bending - yet!

the developers are seasoned industry pros

I might use it to build a doubleneck

http://www.yourockguitar.com/2009/06/about-the-founders/

Inspired Instruments  - You Rock Guitar Developers

Cliff Elion, President and Kevin Kent, CEO have known each for almost 3 decades. Meeting at Roger Linn Electronics in the early 1980's– both brought on to launch the Linn 9000. Cliff was in the engineering department and Kevin Director of Sales and Marketing. Even during the trying time of launching the ill-fated the Linn 9000, the two shared a common love of music and technology and they both shared a similar quirky sense of humor. One from the south of California, one from the South of Africa. They left Linn to launch K-Muse with a patented guitar pick-up technology. That product came to be the Photon guitar, used by luminaries such as John Mcglaughlin, Bunny Brunel, Larry Coryell, Brian Bromberg, Carlos Alomar, etc.  They later sold the company off to Gibson Guitar Corporation.
Getting back together after almost 20 years to complete the development and launch the You Rock Guitar. Taking the original G-Stik concept and creating one of the world's most versatile musical instruments they are very pleased with the progress of the You Rock Guitar. "There has never been an instrument that touches so many consumer electronic customers." states Kent.

The YRG has many capabilities never before seen at this price point - its not perfect.

But at $175, its worth adding to your tool crib.

Should be shipping next month.

Pre orders here:

http://www.inspiredinstrumentsinc.com/You-Rock-Guitar-s/1.htm

I will supply a review.

admin

In regards to "cool stereo amp" to use with the VG-99?

I vote for Traynor K-4

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=57&id=340

The North American built Traynor K4 is an advanced, extremely versatile stereo keyboard amplifier capable of delivering an extremely wide and varied tone pallet. The flagship keyboard amplifier in the line, the K4 uses three separate integrated amplifiers to deliver true stereo separation of the mid and high frequencies with the added bottom end of a mono-summed 200-watt 12-inch woofer. This variation of the 2.1 speaker configuration allows a stereo image to be felt on stage, inspiring the player with full stereo feel from a single 300 watt combo amplifier.

A single 200 watt 12-inch woofer delivers solid low end while a pair of 50 watt amplifiers drive pairs of 4.5-inch midrange drivers and 2.5-inch compression drivers that deliver high and mid frequency program.

Designed to be one of the most versatile amplifiers in the line Traynor line, K4 offers a choice of tube or solid-state signal path, selectable from a singe switch on the front panel. The tube circuit uses a pair of 12AX7A tubes capable of delivering warmth and to smoothness to the often-sterile sound of modern digital keyboards. When used with a small amount of drive, the tube section can create natural tube compression and recreate the subtle dynamics that can't be properly emulated by most of today's digital workstations.

A solid-state signal path can be selected; bypassing the tube circuitry altogether for those times when the cleanest signal path possible is preferred. The K4's channel one input also features a foot switchable Tube Overdrive control allowing the player to dial in any amount of tube, from subtle warm grit to a full on overdrive.

Versatile inputs allow two stereo sources to be connected to Channel One, while an additional stereo source or a microphone can be connected to Channel Two. Channel Three can handle an additional stereo keyboard or any other source including MP3 player or laptop where additional EQ control isn't required. Channels One and Two have separate 3-band EQs for tone shaping, while Channel One offers an additional 5-position voicing circuit.

A fourth post DI out stereo input channel with its own gain control can be found on the rear panel of the K4. This versatile fourth channel allows an external click track, drum monitor mix or monitor feed from the FOH or monitor console to be played through the K4 without sending that signal back through the DI outputs. This allows the K4 to act as its own powered monitor, without everything you hear on stage being part of the audience's mix.

Built for the rigors of the road, the Traynor K4 is manufactured using a solid, void-free plywood cabinet construction and an all-metal grille to protect the high quality speaker components.

Features

True Stereo Configuration in a combo amplifier format
300 watts (200 watts low frequency, 2 x 50 watts mid / high frequencies)
4 sets of front panel stereo inputs (three channels)
Post DI stereo line input with dedicated volume control (rear)
XLR DI Outputs (Stereo)
Solid Plywood Cabinet Construction
All metal grille & metal bar handles
Operates upright or as a wedge monitor

A video overview of using the Traynor K4 as a Guitar Modeller Amplification device.

Boss GT-10 & Traynor K-4 Video Demo by Glenn DeLaune

A2theT

Quote from: Now_And_Then on January 29, 2010, 11:55:38 PM
Is that a piece of equipment suitable for serious musicians? 

nope just looks like fun though.
HEAVY on the METAL

2pods

Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

A2theT

That may be "ancient" but it looks awesome.  I'd love to have one!  I gotta find me an affordable drum toy.  Maybe the alesis kit.......
HEAVY on the METAL

2pods

According to various people over on vdrums.com, used TD8's turn up fairly regular for about $385 american.  :o

Much better than the Alesis.

Mine cost about £1000 when I got it S/H from ebay a couple of years ago

All I need is the loot for a VB99 and BK3, and I 'm made  :D
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

XISTH information

For totally authentic pristeen-yet-grungy analogue flanging that goes *way* beyond the pale into all sorts of other unfatomable territories (as any real flanger should), I use a Lovetone Question Mark Flanger. Sadly out of production now, I am convinced that this is the greatest Flangers ever designed - but nowadays they cost about £500 ($750) on eBay. Anyone else tried/have one? The best effect is plugging any old sterile digital delay into the effects loop. Yes, an effects pedal with its own effects loop!! The result is the most sensationally garbled echoplex type dynamic modulated delay, quite unliKe anything you're likely to hear this side of a chain of maestro echoplexes (or Fulltone tube tape echos). A truly 'creative' musical effect.

Even better is my other non-computer based creative tool -- a pair of Gibson Echoplexes. Despite the name (Echoplex, not Gibson), these are digital loopers (with no analogue emulation or modulation). However, they provide up to 3+ minutes of (stereo) looping (with two units). Most important are the amazingly deep array of glitching and 'loop windowing' possibilites. These enable multi-track recording, dissection and re-arranging of any material you input, all in real time (without latency). Beyond amazing. [Health warning. These units competely destroyed my ability to think of music as a 'linear process'. You have been warned!!] Anyone else tried these?

Elantric

I love my old A/DA  Flanger

and Mutron Octaver with Green Ringer built in

Korg StageEcho

New gear - i love my Barber Tone Press compressor!

A2theT

your old ADA flanger has been reincarnated by Ibanez as Paul Gilberts Airplane Flanger.
no modelers have yet to properly dupe an ADA flanger yet Line6 includes the model it is far from the real thing.

HEAVY on the METAL

Yug

RC-50 loopstation and overgrown TD12

washburn100

Now you are bringing back memories. I had a "Big Muff" that I used to use through my "Sears" amp. I was about 12. You know, the VG-99 has an overdrive called"Muff Fuz". Brings a tear to my eye!

8ohm

V-Studio 700 system
VG-99 and GR-33 via US-20
Fantom-X8
V-Synth 2.0
TD-9 Custom
SA-300
RC-50

M-16DX x 2
Sonar Producer 8.5 64Bit quad core 8Gb
Mackie MDR24/96 *for sale BTW*
BR-1600

washburn100

Quote from: 8ohm on February 10, 2010, 08:45:28 AM
V Studio 700

I'm in recording heaven ;D

http://www.v-studio.info/700/index.php

You lucky dog, I salivate over that thing!
I'm using Sonar 8.5 now and I have an Alesis Mastercontrol, which is an awesome control surface, but it doesn't have near the features of the V700! I wish the dam thing wasn't so expensive though. I can never give that much blood!

A2theT

well I was thinking of this instead of the Alesis MasterControl only because its a great deal now!  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLmk2zero
HEAVY on the METAL

admin

You linked to the Novation Zero SL - @$299

I see Sweetwater has a  "B" stock Alesis MasterControl for $799.

both are  typical street price btw.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/633360-REG/Novation_ZERO_SL_MKII_ZeRO_SL_Mk_II.html

Heres a scratch & dent Alesis MasterControl for $629.99 with  full warranty:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ALE-MASTERCONTROL-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

A2theT

Street price of the Zero SL has always been $399 and they just recently dropped it.  I won't ever buy from B&H again.
The Novation gets my vote as it auto-maps to all kinds of different software vsts and daws. 
HEAVY on the METAL

washburn100

I looked at the Novation when I was shopping, but I needed an interface too, so the Mastercontrol was the ticket. Perfect size for my desk and moving faders... MOVING FADERS!

Oh look,something shiny, what was that? Huh, nevermind!

A2theT

Well I just sold my old yamaha promix for $125.  It had 18 motorized faders etc.  Great for anyone looking for this feature and using it as a DAW controller.
HEAVY on the METAL