Antares ATG-1 DSP Guitar Modeler / Alt Tune / AutoTune

Started by Elantric, November 05, 2012, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

$699 plus shipping. Fully loaded with model pacs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATG-1?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=DSA_-_Product&adpos=1t1&device=c&network=s&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgI6pBRDak6aRovWNqLsBEiQA8zZSLrwA_6LjhxfSbadY2-fRjn_oR0NVrxuaGia9yYDaquYaAiYr8P8HAQ

The pedal looks very interesting - and might be all we need (bring your own 13 pin guitar)  - the Antares brains are in the pedal:

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/products/products.php?category=Auto-Tune_for_Guitar_Floor_Pedal_1

QuoteAuto-Tune for Guitar Floor Pedal

The Auto-Tune for Guitar Floor Pedal allows you to add all of the powerful Auto-Tune for Guitar features to virtually any guitar.

Guitars already equipped with Roland standard 13-pin output can plug directly into the Auto-Tune for Guitar Floor Pedal. Examples include 13-pin equipped guitars from Godin, Carvin, Parker, and Roland.

Other guitars require the simple addition of a hex pickup like the Roland GK-3 or equivalent. These pickups can typically be installed with no physical modification of your guitar.

I signed up for the Antares newsletter
The Internal kit for Luthiers looks interesting - and seems to imply it works with a GK-3 type pickup too.

We will soon be introducing kits that allow Auto-Tune for Guitar technology to be installed in virtually any guitar. With kits customized for the leading styles of guitars, experienced luthiers can install the Auto-Tune for Guitar processor board, controls and pickup with minimal impact to the external appearance of a guitar.

??If you're a luthier interested in doing custom Auto-Tune for Guitar installations for your clients, please get in touch here.

If you're a guitarist interested in having Auto-Tune for Guitar technology installed in one (or more) of your guitars, have your luthier of choice get in touch.

In either case, be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest news about the custom kit availability.

vanceg

Oh this looks REALLY interesting!

Vance

Elantric

Agreed - since Antares is already talking about offering future updates to this system that support their own version of DSP Guitar pickup modelling.
http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/technology/guitar-and-pickup-modeling.php

QuoteGuitar and Pickup Modeling

With Auto-Tune for Guitar's guitar and pickup modeling, you have a virtually unlimited variety of classic and modern tones at your fingertips.

Antares' proprietary modeling technology lets you select a guitar/pickup combo and then select from the pickup configurations that would be available on the original guitar.

Auto-Tune for Guitar also offers a tone control that can boost or cut the modeled pickups' frequency response, dramatically changing the sound of any guitar and pickup model.

Guitar & Pickup Models
     Modern Humbucker    Vintage Humbucker    Mini Humbucker
     Nashville Single Coil    California Single Coil    Vintage Lipstick-tube
     P-90    Junior P-90    
     Acoustic    Bass    

Auto-Tune for Guitar Features
    String Tune
    |
    Solid-Tune™
    |
    Alternate Tuning
    |
    Virtual Capo
    |
    Guitar and Pickup Modeling

The "VG-99 replacement" just might look like this:

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/performance-control/

Hopkins

Remarkable.  I wonder if there are little "niggles" in the sound that you might start to pick up on with extensive use?  In particular, I wonder if a guitar which is virtually in tune would exhibit strange artefacts from being adjusted just a tiny amount?  (I am thinking of something equivalent to aliasing artefacts when you re-sample a digital image, but perhaps my understanding of the way this might work is flawed.)

Also, both videos mention the intonation being perfect.  Either they are saying that the guitar is well made, or they are implying that the software "snaps" every note to the nearest precise interval.  If the latter, what happens when you start bending strings?  Is it going to sound like those god-awful pop vocals which abuse an auto tune system?!

vanceg

I'm thinking it could be kind of cool to enable a 13 pin output from the Auto-Tune system: Then we can run the signal into the VG-99 after it get's autotuned ;-)  Silly, but would be kinda nice.

I'd really love it if Antares put in the ability to pan each string individually - But it looks like it's a Mono output from the processor.   I'll have to contact the product manager over there and see what he/she says about that as a possibility.  It looks like they are implying they will be doing pickup and perhaps even guitar modeling in addition to tunings....so perhaps the idea of stereo output (panning each string) isn't too far out. 

I remember talking to Roland just before the VG-99 was out and strongly suggesting that they include the old auto tuning feature that was in the VG-8..and perhaps even do something to correct for the inherent intonation problems on guitars....but I was told very clearly that Roland product management in Japan was NOT at all into the auto tune feature from the old VG-8 and there was no way that this would appear in the VG-99.  And...this is exactly how it turned out.

Pitch shifting in the VG-99 is still just about my favorite feature.  SO very much you can do with it!

vanceg

They are saying that they are snapping each note to the nearest "correct" pitch. AND that they are moving the intonation of each note just a little tiny bit to make it "perfect".  When you bend a string, or do vibrato, the system is smart enough to know this and not 'correct' the pitch of the bend.  One of their videos displays this.

Now, how well all that will work? What sort of little pitch shifting glitches you might hear?  I cannot say.  I can hear some pitch shifting effect in some of the videos when they are playing way up high on the neck or pitch shifting a good bit up (virtual capo)...but SOME identifiable "flaw" is going to be present in ANY pitch shifting system.... and I have pretty good faith that Antares is going to get it as right as anyone possibly could.  From what I've heard so far, the system sounds pretty darn good and allows for pretty natural playing techniques. 

Quote from: Hopkins on November 06, 2012, 05:44:00 PM
Remarkable.  I wonder if there are little "niggles" in the sound that you might start to pick up on with extensive use?  In particular, I wonder if a guitar which is virtually in tune would exhibit strange artefacts from being adjusted just a tiny amount?  (I am thinking of something equivalent to aliasing artefacts when you re-sample a digital image, but perhaps my understanding of the way this might work is flawed.)

Also, both videos mention the intonation being perfect.  Either they are saying that the guitar is well made, or they are implying that the software "snaps" every note to the nearest precise interval.  If the latter, what happens when you start bending strings?  Is it going to sound like those god-awful pop vocals which abuse an auto tune system?!

vanceg

That's what I'm thinking. But, there are all of those wonderful combinations of multiple pitch shifting effects (Tuning, Harmonization, 12 string, detune) that can be combined on the VG-99. Antares could surely do this...but the CURRENT interface and press doesn't seem to imply that they will go this way. Shoot, so far I don't even see user defined tunings.  But this IS a technology and product line that is in it's introduction/expansion phase.... So I'm pretty hopeful.

Quote from: Elantric on November 06, 2012, 05:05:50 PM
Agreed - since Antares is already talking about offering future updates to this system that support their own version of DSP Guitar pickup modelling.
http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/technology/guitar-and-pickup-modeling.php
The "VG-99 replacement" just might look like this:

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/performance-control/

aliensporebomb

Slick looking pedal - I'd like to try it out.  But it might be another avenue not necessarily a VG-99 replacement.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

vanceg

I'm thinking of putting the internal kit into my next guitar - and then just using the pitch corrected, tuned, signal from the Auto-tune system as the "raw" guitar signal that runs into the VG-99.  Of course, the VG-99's 13Pin hex signal won't have this cool pitch correction on it, but when I switch to my "magnetic" pickups (which would actually be signal from the GK-3 processed through the Antares), at least it will have this.

I wonder what the implications of splitting a GK-3 signal into both the Antares and into a GK-3 internal kit are.... Hmmmm.

I doubt the Antares circuit board has a "Hex pickup thorughput" port for the signals from each guitar string....

Elantric

germanicus

I was pretty unimpressed by the At-200 I tried. It did not work as advertised.
(my review)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7210.0

I hope its just initial release bug type stuff. It would 'tune' itself fine, but it was not putting everything in pitch when fretting chords and the like. I could never get the 'B' string to sound in tune for some reason when fretting for a DADGAD pitch shift (fret F# on e string, C# of the b string, and f# on the high e string, then strum and activate the auto tune function).

Im really interested in it more for just having another possible alternate tuning setup on the fly.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

aliensporebomb

I finally found the AT-200 at the guitar center nearest me: it was on a guitar stand in a huge pile of budget squier strat copies and blended in perfectly because the guitar was black. 

I missed it probably for weeks because it's been sitting there gathering dust - I was on my way out so didn't even bother to try and fish it out from the ocean of copy guitars around it and it sure didn't have a place of honor in the store.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

PD FX

the fun thing about guitar is the possibility to play any interval. I like to play real major thirds e.g. and I like to throw in real small seconds when playing in frygian mode, just a bit of good ol' bending and you can get any tone out of your guitar. And I'm not the only one: the majority of guitar players like to intonate by ear!
Why on earth would I want my notes to be made even tempered electronically in the first place? My guitars are all intune anyway, I personnaly adjust or  carve my saddles so that they are "even tempered" intune.
So I'd call the autotune option useless, it can only help to destroy your tone.
Maybe the modelling is nice, it would be better if they focus on that. Roland can use a bit of competition there!

The easiest and cheapest way to get 2 GK ready units to work together is to make a Y cable. It has the advantage of NOT adding 3 extra 13-pin contacts (39 connections in total!) and therefore is more reliable. I know a trick to determine the proper wires to connect, just ask and I'll tell! ")

tekrytor

I want to know how, more info please Guitarpolson! ;D
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Frank

Quote from: vanceg on November 06, 2012, 06:10:19 PM
I'm thinking it could be kind of cool to enable a 13 pin output from the Auto-Tune system: Then we can run the signal into the VG-99 after it get's autotuned ;-)  Silly, but would be kinda nice.

This is a great idea Vance, or getting the internally mounted kit to output the signals direct from your guitars 13 pin output.

Elantric

One could use the Roland US-20 to feed both VC-99 and Antares pedal.

But for Antares to provide a pitch corrected 13 pin out to drive a VG-99, that would add cost since it requires Antares to add an internal 6 channel DAC due to the 13pin interface being pure analog.

QuoteIf the Antares can keep the guitar in tune all over the neck, it would be useful.

Correct! Thats the unique function that only the Antares "AutoTuneforGuitar" system provides

Avoids the need to for this FretWave Fretboard:
http://theguitaraddict.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

Frank

Quote from: Elantric on November 16, 2012, 07:57:22 AM
But for Antares to provide a pitch corrected 13 pin out to drive a VG-99, that would add cost since it requires Antares to add an internal 6 channel DAC due to the 13pin interface being pure analog.

Good point, this could be the start of a premium 6 channel upgrade kit option perhaps...

mbenigni

Pretty interesting.  Form factor is kind of overkill for my needs, though.  The only way I could justify the footprint is if it doubled as an effective MIDI footcontroller for my other gear.  Otherwise, may as well keep using the GR55 for alt. tunings and so much more.

vanceg

I meant hex output AFTER the Antares processing.  Like - Give me the autotuned outputs of EACH string so that I can THEN run these into my other hex processors....like a VG-99. 

Quote from: Elantric on November 09, 2012, 07:34:55 PM
13pin splitters are out there:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=300.75

vanceg

Of course it would. It would make no sense as a product. The levels would need to be matched, who KNOWS what sort of weird unintended effect the antares tuning would have on the VG-99.....sure.... of course. 

I don't think it would ever happen, I'm just dreaming.

Maybe just replace the VG someday with something even more flexible and focused on Hex Effects.  Or, do what I did before the VG series: Run each string into a laptop and process it.  but back then, this was not very satisfying as laptops weren't very powerful. Even now, I run out of processing pretty quickly....

Quote from: Elantric on November 16, 2012, 07:57:22 AM
One could use the Roland US-20 to feed both VC-99 and Antares pedal.

vanceg

I hope that this pedal will have stereo outs and the system allow me to pan each string individually. This would be a big step forward.  Even better, give me 8 outputs - One for each string, and a stereo pair ;-)

Brak(E)man

i wonder what it will make with the notes from a fretless guitar,
and didn't roland have autotune in the vg8 , i think mine does,
haven't ever had to use it though :)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

oddguitar

I haven't seen anything about AutoTune for Guitar in any of the NAMM coverage around the web....was Antares even at the show?  I was really hoping to hear more about he floor pedal & internal kit.

-oddguitar

Orren Merton

Quote from: oddguitar on January 29, 2013, 07:25:45 AM
I haven't seen anything about AutoTune for Guitar in any of the NAMM coverage around the web....was Antares even at the show?  I was really hoping to hear more about he floor pedal & internal kit.

I don't think Antares was there, but Peavey was very heavily promoting their AT-200 AutoTune guitar, both on the floor of the Exhibit Hall and in the ballroom upstairs that they had set up their own exhibit space.

http://www.peavey.com/products/at200/

Orren

Elantric

The Auto-Tune for Guitar Floor Pedal will be available in early-2014. Sign up for our newsletter to keep up to date on its development and arrival.

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/products/products.php?category=Auto-Tune_for_Guitar_Floor_Pedal_1

and

We will soon be introducing kits that allow Auto-Tune for Guitar technology to be installed in virtually any guitar. With kits customized for the leading styles of guitars, experienced luthiers can install the Auto-Tune for Guitar processor board, controls and pickup with minimal impact to the external appearance of a guitar.

??If you're a luthier interested in doing custom Auto-Tune for Guitar installations for your clients, please get in touch here.

If you're a guitarist interested in having Auto-Tune for Guitar technology installed in one (or more) of your guitars, have your luthier of choice get in touch.
In either case, be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest news about the custom kit availability.

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/products/products.php?category=Luthier_Custom_Kits_2