Need help for choosing looper and guitar synth.

Started by sakisns, July 15, 2013, 01:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakisns

First I want to say hello to all and nice to be here with you.I'm not sure if this is the right group for my topic but anyway.I'm thinking to enter the world of looping and guitar synth so i want your opinions in some topics cause i feel a little not sure of what I'm thinking can be done.
I' m forming a small band (singer-guitar and bass) so we can make gigs even in small places and I think I want to keep the band small at least for now.We make a good unplugged program but thinking adding a looper in my gear so can make songs more full since there are a little empty without second guitar or a synth.Since I think all must be going on live I dont want prerecorded parts and i need a lopper friendly in live use and as true bypass can be to my sound.I think I'm going for Boomerang III.I like pigtronix infinite looper has same advantages as boomerang but only 2 loops and cant synchronize 2 at least not until now.I'm not sure recording time in Boomerang is enough especially in good quality stereo playing.I really need opinions about that especially from people that using live some loopers.
And now I'm thinking in starting trying guitar synth . I hear GR-55 in several you-tube demo awesome features combining 2 different sounds ,guitar different tunning in each strings but...I didnt really like his sound especially sax sounds ,flute and brass.Since I'm noob in this I'm thinking in buying used an older version ,GR-20 ,which is very cheap cant give you so many things to do but i think i like his sounds better.The real question is this.Can i connect GR-20 or GR-55 with a synthesizer for example a XV-5080 and use his sound.I'm interesting in playing one sound at the time but want to be as realistic can have.
Sorry for my poor English I'm waiting for your advises.

Brent Flash

gumtown

Depends on your requirements and needs,
The GR-20 is a single voice synth only, no guitar effects or modeling, but will give you the guitar to midi to play the external synth.
The GR-55 and VG-99 will do the same for guitar to midi, all of them require a "GK ready" guitar or the addon GK-3 pickup, plus a 13 pin cable.

The GR-55 will give you the guitar models, alternate tunings, two synth voices and the equivalent of an analog synth, plus effects and guitar amp modeling. You can play all four tones sources mixed together to give a more complex composite tone.
But the GR-55 is seen as a "jack of all trades - master of none" it does have it's design limitations, if you can live with those then the GR-55 is great.

You might want to also look at the VG-99, it does not do the PCM internal synths, but does do a lot of other cool things. That is also depending on if you want to take the "go direct to PA" approach, or wish to use a regular guitar amp and pedals.

The GR-55 has a very basic built in looper, but i would not even concider it as a looper, just a gimick.

You might even want to look at the Jam Origin software based guitar to midi, if you want a com,puter based setup/looper, or maybe look at the Tripple Play guitar to midi wireless system.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Mrchevy

You may find this thread useful. The Boomerang iii now has midi sync, should already be installed with the update if you buy it new. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5953.0

It has plenty of loop time built in, I doubt you would run out of time on any given song. I love mine.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

sakisns

Thanks For Your Replies.
Mrchevy I think I am at the same point you were.I read your thread and it was very useful.I still think Boomerang III is the right choise for me too.It doesnt interfere with your original sound and it has very good sound quality.
I think for my needs the serial or sync serial mode will be the one I'm gonna use.So I think it is Boomerang or Pigtronix but only 2 loops are not enough and even if they made them to be sync together a pair of Pigtronix would be too expensive atleast for me.The pigtronix is very easy to use as i watched in You-Tube demos has top sound quality is true bypass and have same features as boomerang and some more too.If I could have two sync together and a cheaper price I think I'll prefer them.I'm not thinking to have a software looper in a laptop I think I wanna keep the band as "LIVE" as possible.
If i choose to watch a band to play live I wouldnt like the guitarist to have 2 laptops & 3 i pads to make his work i think  a looper and a guitar sync is what i need for live performance.
Now since you are a GR-55 owner I have some questions.I love the features of Gr-55 and all you can do with it but I'm not sure with its sounds.The guitar modeling especially the acoustic ones doesnt sounds too good and i find the sax flute and brass sounds bad.The piano and organs is good enough.But you have it and you can help me with that.What is your opinion now that you have use it.
I have found the GR-20 and Gk 3 used in a very low price and i think of buying them to make the first steps in guitar syncs.So i can solve some tracking problems that I may have and to be familiar with this new technology .Since I'll have a Lopper i think i primarily need single good sounds .I liked the GR-20 sounds and even if it doesnt have high tech features it is a nice piece.Have you try to connect the GR-55 with an external synth module like XV-5080 for example to see how it can trigger an external source.I think it would be interesting.

Mrchevy

My setup is a GR-55, GT-10(soon to be a GT-100), Mustang Floor, and Alchemy Player synth (free version), all going into a Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer. The mixer main outs got into the Boomerang III, then out to powered alto 10" PA speakers. This way I can loop anything I want and build some really awesome layers and have pretty much any guitar sound I want. The GR55 has its limits (mainly in it's control features) but is a very capable unit. It is my first Guitar synth so I can't give you comparative advise but it more than suits my needs and seems to be, as was said before, a jack of all trades and master of none. If your just getting into guitar synth, I think it will keep you occupied  for many moons, just be aware that it can be a daunting learning curve. Fortunately you have found this forum and I doubt you will have any trouble finding answers to any questions you may have. I love my RANG and have no regrets.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

aliensporebomb

Quote from: sakisns on July 15, 2013, 01:32:07 PM
First I want to say hello to all and nice to be here with you.I'm not sure if this is the right group for my topic but anyway.I'm thinking to enter the world of looping and guitar synth so i want your opinions in some topics cause i feel a little not sure of what I'm thinking can be done.
I' m forming a small band (singer-guitar and bass) so we can make gigs even in small places and I think I want to keep the band small at least for now.We make a good unplugged program but thinking adding a looper in my gear so can make songs more full since there are a little empty without second guitar or a synth.Since I think all must be going on live I dont want prerecorded parts and i need a lopper friendly in live use and as true bypass can be to my sound.I think I'm going for Boomerang III.I like pigtronix infinite looper has same advantages as boomerang but only 2 loops and cant synchronize 2 at least not until now.I'm not sure recording time in Boomerang is enough especially in good quality stereo playing.I really need opinions about that especially from people that using live some loopers.
And now I'm thinking in starting trying guitar synth . I hear GR-55 in several you-tube demo awesome features combining 2 different sounds ,guitar different tunning in each strings but...I didnt really like his sound especially sax sounds ,flute and brass.Since I'm noob in this I'm thinking in buying used an older version ,GR-20 ,which is very cheap cant give you so many things to do but i think i like his sounds better.The real question is this.Can i connect GR-20 or GR-55 with a synthesizer for example a XV-5080 and use his sound.I'm interesting in playing one sound at the time but want to be as realistic can have.
Sorry for my poor English I'm waiting for your advises.

I was watching Per Haar's video on the GR-55 and RC-300 - seems very impressive.  Watch until the end to hear his song:

You could go for a GR-20 or a GR-55 with an external synthesizer but I keep thinking that that would be a matter of lugging more equipment to the gig.  It might just be simpler to keep things as small and compact as possible to lessen the hassle of setup and teardown. 

Personally I'm a VG-99/FC300 user but I've been pretty good at programming synthesizer type sounds on it so I can keep it to 3 pieces of gear rather than 4 or 5.  I might even be able to forego my submixer on gigs going forward as the RC300 could take care of that now.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.