Looping on Hold

Started by Hopkins, June 06, 2014, 12:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopkins

Hello folks,

I miss this forum!  About a year ago renovations started on my house, which consigned all of my stuff to storage for a few months and saw me working on a laptop in various inconvenient places (I work from home).  The renovations finished six months ago and now I have a shiny new office with some large cupboards with sliding doors.  One of the sections of this cupboard I had made to the combined width of my HD500 and RC300 and fitted with power so that I can leave everything set up, pull out the pedals and go!  It has worked very well but, sadly, it has not been used!  Last year I started learning the programming language Haskell and this continues to dominate my spare time.  With three children I just don't have enough time in my life for all of my endeavours.  However, one day I will return and contribute again to this fine community of loopers!

In the mean time, I attach a picture of "The Guitar Cupboard" because, well, I'm quite proud of it.  It will see proper, active use in the not too distant future, I hope!

Syph

Hi Hopkins,

Just passing the time with the laptop and I stumbled onto this thread again. I'll second the motion that this place/community is something pretty special and I (for one) have missed seeing you about these boards.

Congrats on the renovations being done! And the guitar cupboard is a nice touch! I have never quite had the write sized anything for my rigs (tables, cupboards, cases), so I much be a touch on the jealous side there. I hope you have had the time to have get some good playing in :)

I have only been out of the playing loop for a month or 2 (maybe 3) I am really starting to miss it (Don''t know how you did it for a year!). Due to health and circumstance I have stepped away from the night life busking and haven't had either of my playing rigs with me for a while. It amazes me that I have been fortunate enough to make a living from my music for a number of years, but it is never the less a welcome break to be away from playing drunk people in a crazy loud streets with people yelling/screaming/fights/people stepping on my pedal and cables/etc.

I have only just started to get back into playing and it has been really refreshing to be playing for myself again, slowing plodding through the first few movements of Bach's first cello suite on the unplugged 7 string bass. But the tech itches have begun! I should be spending a good amount of time in October in a nice place with all my gear again so hopefully I will have some fancy things to share with the forums again. (insert maniacal grin here)

Hope you are well, and that Haskell has stopped stealing all your free time!

Hopkins

Hi Syph,

Thanks for the reply!  Sadly, I still seem to be occupied with other things at the moment, but I am thinking more and more about the music and how I need to get back to it.  Plus, one of my other hobbies, strategy board games, seems to be waning at the moment which is sort of great because it is the least productive of my hobbies.  I managed music and board games successfully, then Haskell and board games, so I hope now that I will switch to music and Haskell!  It's a shame there isn't time for all of it.

You mention your health - I hope that you are on the mend from whatever afflicted you.  Taking a break every now and again is useful to allow yourself to regain some sort of perspective on things.  I'm glad you're enjoying music in a different way at the moment!

Right, I'd better get back to the most time consuming occupation of all: work!  Bye for now.