Positive Grid - BIAS FX Desktop

Started by acousticglue, June 28, 2015, 05:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

The IOS version of PG  BIAS FX has MIDI control and IMHO is a better implementation for live use.

Ive learned to be patient with Positive Grid, because they are very lean and their limited staff are strung out on too many projects, and promised products and features can take years to deliver  - witness the BT-4 Bluetooth pedal.

And they dont consider remote MIDI Control a requirement, since 90% of their main product endorsers appear to never use MIDI   

This says it all - only 2 occurances of MIDI on the PG Help Knowledge base shows their lack of placing any importance on MIDI control

http://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=MIDI&commit=Search

mordecai

Yeah I looked over there before posting and couldn't find anything. I do love the iPad version and utilizing the full Midi implementation on that platform. I'd just love to be able to use those tones in Logic and most of them I can use realistically just not the ones that require an expression pedal. Here is to hoping...

Elantric

QuoteYeah I looked over there before posting and couldn't find anything. I do love the iPad version and utilizing the full Midi implementation on that platform. I'd just love to be able to use those tones in Logic and most of them I can use realistically just not the ones that require an expression pedal. Here is to hoping...

Submit a request for MIDI Control in BIAS FX Desktop here

http://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/categories/200409255-BIAS-FX-Desktop

mordecai

I had requested info earlier today via that route and just got word back from them, expected a longer delay. But they did confirm that the PolyOctaver is in the Pro version and also stated that Midi is coming to Desktop. Said a month or so but I am hoping that just means by the end of the year. So good news on that front.

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15443.msg111087#msg111087

On July 10, 2015 , Positive Grid wrote>
QuoteSteve,

We hear you, we plan to add more documentation soon.
(and MIDI implementation for DESKTOP is very possible very soon)

ROCK ON,

Support @ Positive Grid

translation for "very soon" = 6 to 9 months

mordecai

haha... yeah if it is anything like BT4 we may have the update next December... but one can hope. Will give me a chance to see if all the fuss about Helix is about and hopefully demo Amplitude 4. Still like the idea of taking studio sounds to stage with the Global EQ helping balance things out.

acousticglue

BIAS FX right now giving me multiple pains when running more than one instance. I have Xeon5450 3.0 quad core 12MB cache and cant run two instances at 64 ASIO. Have to up to 128 whereas all other plugins for guitar I can run multiple at 64.

macman70

I see that Positive grid have a sale on Bias FX this weekend. What do you guys think? Go 'full in' and buy Bias FX pro or start with Bias FX desktop.

What are your thoughts on the extra pedals etc in Bias FX pro over Bias FX desktop.

Thanks in advance

mordecai

I have the iPad version with all packs and find that all of the pedals are useful to have(equates to the Pro version). I am holding out on getting desktop version till Midi is implemented. If you want to see what the basic version comes with vs the "all in" version here is the exact contents of both: http://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/articles/205050729-Which-amps-effects-come-with-BIAS-FX-DESKTOP-vs-BIAS-FX-PROFESSIONAL-

Download the demo as I believe that is the basic version, if it's not enough for you then you have your answer. If it is you have your answer :)

macman70

Quote from: mordecai on October 09, 2015, 10:47:29 AM
I have the iPad version with all packs and find that all of the pedals are useful to have(equates to the Pro version). I am holding out on getting desktop version till Midi is implemented. If you want to see what the basic version comes with vs the "all in" version here is the exact contents of both: http://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/articles/205050729-Which-amps-effects-come-with-BIAS-FX-DESKTOP-vs-BIAS-FX-PROFESSIONAL-

Download the demo as I believe that is the basic version, if it's not enough for you then you have your answer. If it is you have your answer :)

Thanks man!
I have seen that link you posted and have been studying that for past 24 hours, LOL. The demo works well for me in Logic Pro x, and as you mentioned it is the Bias FX desktop app. In addition I have the ipad version of Bias FX,  but not bought all the additional pedals/packs.
I think I will go for the Pro version. I find it a useful plug in for reamping a dry signal off my Boss GT100.

mordecai

I have heard people having issues running multiple instances of Bias FX in Logic but I have not had that issue with the demo. I tried about 5 of them and seemed to work fine for me. I am running on SSD, 8GB RAM, and Quad i7. YMMV.

macman70

Quote from: mordecai on October 09, 2015, 12:58:33 PM
I have heard people having issues running multiple instances of Bias FX in Logic but I have not had that issue with the demo. I tried about 5 of them and seemed to work fine for me. I am running on SSD, 8GB RAM, and Quad i7. YMMV.

Yep, I have not experienced issues either. I am running SSD, 8GB RAM and Quad i5 in my Macbook Pro. It works fine, i do not run too many multiple instances, but I am sure be ok.

thanks for your help!

acousticglue

But what are your buffer settings of soundcard? 128 works fine but 64 not. Some i7 users say 64 is even fine but I have similar quad core Intel Xeon 5450 3.0 and run at 128 now.

acousticglue

Well with FX always adding things like now the poly pitch shifter and new BiasDistortion plugin on way the game is getting further and further apart for other modellers out there. It is too easy now to end up with 140 amps tons of FX and all able to turn off globally. I am not sure how the BiasDistortion will be integrated in the end, maybe the way of BiasAmp but letting you model the Distortion pedals you have and share makes this pretty cool. FX you can only change parameters on units but the Amp and Dist let you model and play with the sound. I find myself using not much else nowadays even though I wait on IKM A4.

mordecai

I will check on what I use as far as buffers. Still waiting on midi to be added before I plunge into the Desktop version. My life has drastically changed as last month we added a new member to our family. So I'll not be gigging anytime soon and home/computer based sound generation is my main focus at this point. Actually been doing way more keyboarding, mostly with my Minilab and iPad(Tabletop, Sampletank, iMini, and iMS-20).

Anyway I am very interested in the IKM A4 as well but from what I can tell you get a very limited pallet at first then it's a la carte from there. Not had much experience at all with the company in the way of guitar but I use Sampletank all the time. When is it released? I like the idea of taking my studio sound on stage, that's why I am still holding out for Bias FX Desktop but at the same time if Amplitube 4 has my attention.

This Bias Pedal(formally Distortion) deal looks very interesting. I've always wanted to clone my green big muff and a few other oddballs I've got around. That also makes up for not having basic dirt boxes like a RAT in their original release. Wonder if they will eventually bundle these together at a discount.

Elantric

I'm not too thrilled with Amplitube myself   There are better sounding Guitar amp sims Out there (Scuffams S-Gear, BIAS FX)

jassy

Quote from: Elantric on September 21, 2015, 11:56:37 AM

Submit a request for MIDI Control in BIAS FX Desktop here

http://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/categories/200409255-BIAS-FX-Desktop

Submited my midi request an the answer is:

"We plan to work on it/release it very soon."

Elantric

Submited my midi request an the answer is:

"We plan to work on it/release it very soon."

Same response I got last year

(yawn)

whippinpost91850

mordecai

Seems to be the response everyone is getting. They told me end of year but idk about that. Anyone tried Pedal yet? I've just started messing with it at work, can't hear it yet but I can look at the settings. Really cool stuff and they have a preset that's a RAT which is what I've been waiting for! I do not see where they let you tone match on the iPad version but it is free to try but if you want to export pedals to Bias FX it's $19.99... 

Not quite sure how they can have midi for iPad but just blow off the DAW crowd.

Elantric

Meanwhile . . .

There are 50 programmable MIDI controllers in Scuffham S-GEAR which can be mapped to any incoming MIDI Control Change message. Please see p57 of the User Manual for details of setting up S-GEAR MIDI controllers.

You should be able to use your external MIDI controllers with S-GEAR parameters - provided you set up the S-GEAR controllers first.

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/images/documents/sgear_usermanual.pdf

acousticglue

Tops of list nowadays is still BiasFX for sound but even though SGear is good I now like GR5 and TH3 as well.

mordecai

FINALLY!!! Midi is here! And a standalone version to boot! Not had a chance to play with it yet but FINALLY!!!

http://www.positivegrid.com/2016/01/positive-grid-releases-bias-fx-standalone/

jassy

What?? Midi only in the pro version?

Elantric