GR-55 - Control with Behringer FCB1010

Started by zaknbou, June 01, 2011, 02:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaknbou

hi there,

I am trying to  control my  Gr-55 with my FCB1010 , mainly changing patches with my behringer foot controller,

fcb1010 first button will choose ==> USER bank 1 patch 3
fcb 1010 second button will choose ==> user bank 5 path 2
fcb 1010 third button will choose ==>  lead bank 5 patch 1
so onnn

i know it should be easy but donna know how that would be done in GR-55,
could someone plz do me these examples so i can understand the concept  ???

Thank you in advance,  ;)

Samer

ddlooping

Hello Samer :)

I haven't really looked into it as I don't have the need for it, so I can only suggest you read the last paragraph of page 79 of the manual ("RX PC MAP").
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

FreeTime

You might have to program the FCB1010 to play nice with the GR55 with a program like this: http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Music/FCB_2.htm, using an editor is usually so much easier; a single mouseclick can do what several button presses would do. If you haven't already, check out gumtown's Gr55 editor here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

By default, i think the FBC1010 will sequentally select patches , i.e. button 1 = GR-55 patch U01:1, button 2 = GR-55 patch U01:2, and so on.
The easiest option may be to re-arrange the GR-55 patches to match the pedal FBC1010, move your GR-55 patches to U01:1, U01:2, U01:3, U02:1... etc...etc....etc...

I wouldn't bother modifying the GR-55 midi program table, because it is a real stinker, by default every patch is the same (all patches are U01:1 by default when changed from [fixed] to [programmable]), and to use it, you have to re-program the entire midi table.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Slotracer

You said you have to program the entire midi table for it to work in programmable mode? Can you explain a little bit? I'm having no luck in getting mine to work in prog mode... works fine is fixed mode.
Thanks.

nosaintnick

Zknbou, do you know exactly what PC messages are being sent from you FCB? Has it been programmed to send patch changes sequentially? I haven't yet tried the two together but if I have time this weekend I'll see how well they play together.

If you don't already have one you should download an FCB editor. I like the one at www.ripwerx.com There is also this one https://secure.mtnsys.com/faq-fcb/pceditorbeta.htm

There are midi monitor windows in each of those editors so you can check if the FCB is sending the messages you want.

zaknbou

yup i have the fcb1010 editor of ed dixon and u can edit the PC as u want to match the gr55 U01:1 PC 1,
U01:2 ,... U02:3 PC 6 and so on , but i didn't even try it because i find an easier way to control the gr-55... with a sequencer ( ableton live ) as i play my backing track in ableton patches switch with the timeline without touching anything...way better than those small button on the gr-55 enabling tuner/audio player/bank change by mistake and  for the extra space/weight of the fcb

Tc ,
Samer

whippinpost91850

I'll try this again. I've using my Gr55 for a couple of months now and are now using it live more often. Has anyone had any experience using A FCB1010 to do program and volume control ?
  I have been using my old GM70/Fc100 to control multiple MIDI changes , but cant get the EV5 to send volume control. Can anyone help? Thanks

whippinpost91850

Sorry, I'm old and still new to how a forum works.

Brent Flash

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 07, 2011, 01:32:12 PM
I'll try this again. I've using my Gr55 for a couple of months now and are now using it live more often. Has anyone had any experience using A FCB1010 to do program and volume control ?
  I have been using my old GM70/Fc100 to control multiple MIDI changes , but cant get the EV5 to send volume control. Can anyone help? Thanks
The thing that gets most people is that the GR and VG do not respond to CC# automatically like keyboards and sound modules do. You will have to tell each patch, in the GR, to have it's volume controlled by a specific CC# for it to work. You will probably want to use one that the FCB already sends or you will have to reprogram it too. Hope this helps. If you have more questions please shout back.

whippinpost91850

Brent Flash

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 07, 2011, 02:10:34 PM
THANK YOU
You are very welcome! Let us know if you need more help.

pavel

Hi, i read your post about volume control in Roland GR-55 with Behringer FCB 1010 expression pedals in this topic: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3978.msg26886#msg26886
I have both of them, but still no luck. I don't understand a lot of midi programming. Do you know, please, where i may find some detailed informations about it? I can control of banks, switch the patches, bus i'm not able to control volume and expression on GR-55.
Thank you very much in advance.

Brent Flash

Let's say your 1010 sends out CC#7 when you press it's pedal. In the GR you would go to the ASSIGN 1-8 section and tell the GR to use CC#7 as a SOURCE and to TARGET a volume in the patch.

HCarlH

It's best to make a blank template with nothing but the FCB1010 Assigns and save it. Then, start with the template to make your patches and finish by renaming it something else when you're done.
GR-55 (or) Fishman TP + Kemper Profiling Rack -->> 
QSC K10 -->> FOH
Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet (w/GK3), Ibanez AM93 (w/FTP pickup),  Stratocaster (w/FTP pickup)

Telecaster, Charvel SoCal ProMod, Gibson Les Paul, PV Wolfgang,

MrJim65

I've got my Fcb1010 up and running for the primary function of being able to elect 10x10 different user presets at any one time which is good enough....
However, any ideas how of how to use the other two expression pedals in addition to the one on the GR55 to control other parameters separately?
Cheers, Jim

highlandsrock

I bought an FCB1010 specifically to link to my GR-55 but so far no luck. The Midi Monitor software I'm running shows that I've programmed the FCB correctly and it's sending out the CC numbers I want. I can get Mainstage to respond to the FCB but just can't get it to talk to the GR-55.

I'm not particulary dumb but I just get the feeling I'm missing something really obvious. In there a fundamental step you have to take first before the units will communicate with each other?
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

whippinpost91850

I use the Fcb1010 with my Eleven rack and Gr55. I found it to work fairly easy and plays even nicer with the UNO chip. Make sure you have the midi ins/outs connected correctly and the correct midi channel in your assigns.

tekrytor

If Mainstage is between the FCB and the GR-55, it may not be passing MIDI thru. I don't know what Mainstage is though. Try a direct connection and see how that works.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Elantric

QuoteI don't know what Mainstage is though

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/mainstage/

Apple Mainstage FAQ and details
http://documentation.apple.com/en/mainstage/usermanual/index.html#chapter=preface%26section=2%26tasks=true

http://documentation.apple.com/en/mainstage/usermanual/index.html#chapter=7%26section=5%26tasks=true

How MainStage Passes Through MIDI Messages
Some MIDI messages sent by your keyboard controller (or other MIDI device) are "passed through" to any channel strips in the MainStage concert that are mapped to the same controller (or device). Whether or not MIDI messages are passed through depends on the following conditions:

If there is no screen control in your layout assigned to receive the message type sent by the controller, the messages are passed through.

If a screen control for that MIDI message type exists, and the MIDI Thru parameter for the screen control is set to Automatic or to the input device, the messages are passed through. This is the default for screen controls set to receive volume, pan, expression, sustain, modulation, pitch bend, and aftertouch messages.

If a screen control for that MIDI message type exists, and the MIDI Thru parameter for the screen control is set to "Do not pass through," the data is not passed through. This is the default for most other screen controls.

The reason for these exceptions is so that when you add a screen control for a modulation wheel or a sustain pedal, for example, it "automatically" responds to the appropriate MIDI message type, without your having to configure it further. If you want to have the screen control respond to a different type of MIDI message, you can choose another MIDI message type from the Number pop-up menu in the Screen Control Inspector.

Incoming MIDI messages that are passed through are passed to any channel strips mapped to the same device sending those messages (that is, to the keyboard controller you are using to "play" those channel strips). If there is no matching device, the MIDI messages are sent to all channel strips.

You can also filter incoming MIDI messages for individual channel strips. For information on filtering MIDI messages, see Filtering MIDI Messages.

vpuchek

I am new to midi programing but was able to have the FCB1010 communicate with my GR55. I used iFCB to program the 1010 and for some reason I have to double tap on the pedal to have the instance adjust in GR55. Can someone please explain what am I doing wrong with the programing. Thanks.

gumtown

Quote from: vpuchek on June 06, 2012, 06:01:04 PM
I am new to midi programing but was able to have the FCB1010 communicate with my GR55. I used iFCB to program the 1010 and for some reason I have to double tap on the pedal to have the instance adjust in GR55. Can someone please explain what am I doing wrong with the programing. Thanks.
To do with "toggle" vs "moment" if you have a Pedal setup to toggle an effect ( press once for on, press once again for off), then have an assign setup to receive the midi control, and that is also set to "toggle" (source mode) then you end up with a double toggle situation.
Set either one of the controls (FBC pedal or GR-55 assign) to moment.
If both are set to moment, then the pedal will operate momentarily and switch the effect off when released.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vpuchek

Thanks a million. Worked perfectly. I just set the source mode in the GR55 to moment and it solved the issue. Such a simple thing but caused me a whole day of a headache.

Thanks again!

FleetfootMike

Just as a general note to anyone else coming here: the Y! FCB1010 list is a very useful resource for advice and tips. If you own one, you owe it to your self (and sanity) to subscribe :D

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/fcb1010/

Mike (founder and still occasional admin of the list)
Guitars: Squier E serial MIJ Strat, Squier Affinity Strat, R J Bartram Custom, Tokai LP Custom, more LAG acoustics than you can shake a stick at, Stingray bass
FX etc: GR-55, FCB-1010, analogue pedalboard
Amp: Tipton Slasher 6W valve head + 1x12", Carlsboro powered wedge

Elantric

Mike,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for all your work (sanity and patience) for supporting the FCB-1010  - Behringer owes you big time!
Agreed - the Yahoo FCB1010 list is THE Best resource for all things FCB-1010