Roland VG-99 PDS stand alternative

Started by Charles Beatty, May 08, 2008, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darter

I made the plate and used a boom-style drum stand. Very sturdy and free. Oh, and it extends over my FC300 and other pedals. I like THAT aspect of it.

mousetrapreplica

Hey Musicman,

you've done with your setup exactly what I plan to do with mine!
I'll also squeeze in a small 8 button MIDI controller next to the VG-99, and a few extra Expression pedals next to the FCB1010(or FC300 if I change my mind) This is really going to help a bunch when I get mine made up, cheers mate!
I guess I'll have to do some weights so my scrawny little arms can carry it around everywhere.

Ryan
Guitars: Ibanez Artist 1980 model - GK3, American Fender Strat Plus 1993 - GK2a
VG-99, into RC-50 loopstation into Mackie Onyx 400F into PA
Control: FS-6, FV-500H
http://www.mousetrapreplica.com
http://www.cheeseexcursion.com

mousetrapreplica

Hmmm, I've never had the urge to buy a stand, I just get to the venue and borrow the ever present milk crates which seem to abound in every Melbourne venue I've ever played in.

That's always worked fine, except for the time I accidentally pulled it off the milk crates whilst rocking out!
I managed to catch it with my right hand, whilst still playing with my left, and my head triggered the D-Beam pitch shift.
The audience loved it!
Guitars: Ibanez Artist 1980 model - GK3, American Fender Strat Plus 1993 - GK2a
VG-99, into RC-50 loopstation into Mackie Onyx 400F into PA
Control: FS-6, FV-500H
http://www.mousetrapreplica.com
http://www.cheeseexcursion.com

Big Vern

Hi Guys,

Newbie here, do you think this stand would be substantial enough to support a VG-99??

http://www.inta-audio.com/products.asp?partno=180153

Best regards,

David
Its better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done.

Brent Flash

Quote from: Big Vern on June 12, 2009, 10:14:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Newbie here, do you think this stand would be substantial enough to support a VG-99??

http://www.inta-audio.com/products.asp?partno=180153

Best regards,

David
Yes.

Big Vern

Cheers, I'll pick one up and get modding  ;)
Its better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done.

Bryan Michael

I only paid $89 for my PDS stand on closeout from Guitar Center.  I wouldn't trade it! That was a bargain (especially since my VG-99 was only like $850 as a DEMO from Sweetwater!)   ;D

Vic1iful

Excellent job! Now we need to figure out how to make an FC300 with RDAC for $100 and we're in business! LOL

randyskynrd

8)i mounted my vg 99 with some cheap tin angle iron,i got with a garage door opener.just cut up a few pieces,1/4 20 nut and bolts.mounted right in my rack.it pays to have played with erecter sets,as a kid.

ddlooping

Hi all :)

My VG-99 will sit on a tray, in the top half of this 2U-6U-4U flight case...

Mockup made with another model of flight case:

The flight case will either be on the floor or "milk-crates", depending on the situation.

If necessary, at a later date I might get a sturdy music stand to secure the case to.

Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

A2theT

that music stand is a great idea!  mine sits on an unused marshall cab....  i gotta find a music stand like that or somehow mount it on a PA tripod, but they're usually too high.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

ddlooping

Quote from: A to the T on August 18, 2010, 01:25:34 PM
that music stand is a great idea!
Indeed, thanks to David/Big Vern. :)

Macciza

Quote from: ddlooping on August 18, 2010, 06:55:24 AM
Hi all :) . . .{ snip}

If necessary, at a later date I might get a sturdy music stand to secure the case to.

Wow - That looks like the exact same music stand that I use in my setup; quite sturdy . . .
My VG sits directly on it - VL70 module slanting up above and behind VG . . .
And looking for a drum attachment to stick a midi controller on below and in front; for amp controls etc . .
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

sixeight

I also use a music stand, but made a little shelf below, so I can but lyrics or my Macbook on the stand. In the picture below you can see my stand reasonably well. I used an existing block from a kidsseat for a bicycle (typical Dutch thing that is, cycling with one adult an two kids on one bicycle) - picture of the block included. I made a shelf myself, with a small edge around the VG-99. Fits like a glove.

I wouldn't put an entire flightcase on the stand. It's too wobbly for that.

ddlooping

fokof

I took your idea an added a little twist ; to make an easy "live" set up.

Same camera tripod and wooden plate idea but I added a bicycle quick release with an integrated bolt on the wooden plate to be able to mount and dismount rapidly.
-Find a seat collar quick release (threaded all the way)
-the M5 bolt has to be very solidly "incrusted" in the wooden plate , I added a washer at the bottom so it won't pass through with time. (I used a presta valve bolt)
-You have to cut the quick release so it doesn't scratch the surface of your VG once mounted. Do all the testing without the VG attached
-Do not "over tight" the quick release , it will "pull" the bolt through the wooden plate

I also have a PDS10 , (needed something lighter) it takes maybe 30 seconds more, but it hold as fine and is 3-4 times lighter

I was lucky and found a very good used tripod (Manfrotto) for very cheap

fokof

s0c9

Isn't it a little unstable ???
How do you prevent it from tipping over ?
Does the macbook sitting on top counter-balance the VG99 ??

ddlooping

The set-up I'll be using live tomorrow (FC-300 not shown). :)

I'll just put the flight case on a stool or something.  ;D

Plenty of space at the back for adaptors, leads and what-not.

jburns

http://www.staples.com/Altra-Adjustable-Laptop-Cart/product_729375

this fits my 99 perfectly and i got it from a staples for 20 bucks...
you can drill thru to mount it but its pretty sturdy by itself. i instead reinforced with some rubber pad risers in the back of the 99 (by the ins/outs) so it doesnt move back. have the stanmd with wheels is great and the extra shelf is good for tools,books what have you. the fact i can now rotate the 99 to the point where its facing me straight on helps when im changing the outs or putting the usb in or just anything changing wires cause i dont have to bend over the unit and im using it this way for some dbeam actions as well that allow me push into the beam instead of motioning over it. 5 sec. adjustment of rotating the shelf and its back to lying down. ill have to put some pics of this up eventually

musicman65

Music stands on stage are strictly forbidden in my neck of the woods..except in church or music recitals! LoL. I wish Roland would have made the VG99 rack mount style and put the big screen with a few extra knobs and buttons on the FC300.

Bd in tn

musicman65

Too bad nobody makes a decent roadcase that has room for a VG99, a 1RU size synth module and FC300 in the lid. I made my own but it was an all-day job.

Sets up and tears down in 3 minutes.

http://www.cruzerrocks.com/VG99/VG99_Case.htm

Bd in tn

paults

Quote from: musicman65 on August 29, 2010, 05:56:46 PM
Music stands on stage are strictly forbidden in my neck of the woods..except in church or music recitals! LoL. I wish Roland would have made the VG99 rack mount style and put the big screen with a few extra knobs and buttons on the FC300.

Bd in tn

I didn't like the idea of a stand mounted VG - it seemed like too many cables to hook up for every gig, and having it on stage seemed like an invitation for destruction and too much floor space for a truly stable stand.  I had it mounted vertically in a rack for awhile, but chose a different option. You can put the VG-99 in your pedal board, and wave over the D-Beam with your foot instead of your hand, if you want to use it for anything.  The VG can stay connected to the controller, and could even be sitting on a rack mount synth in the pedal board, if you like.  It makes a very fast to set up and tear down rig - just attach a cable to whatever you are using for an amp/monitor, and you are done.   

musicman65

Yep...my thoughts exacty! I tried several ways and everything was too time consuming since I have the vg99, an FC300, a rack synth, a voicebox, a vocal mic, and kb amp to setup. My roadcase is completely prewired so I connect power, stereo outs and guitar input and I'm ready.

We have lights and sound to setup so I don't have time to spend with unpacking, mounting and cabling!

Bd in tn

ddlooping

I did my first gig with the above set-up earlier today.
It all worked out fine, with the flight-case plopped on a couple of milk cases next to me.  ;D