GR-500 - Roland Infinite Sustain System Revealed

Started by drjoness2001, July 06, 2012, 03:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drjoness2001

I know this is very geeky, and primarily concerns the ancient Roland GS-500/GR-500, but after a lot of back and forth, I have a link to the Vintage Roland Guitar synth website that details how the cool infinite sustain system worked in the GS/GR-500:

http://www.joness.com/gr300/GS-500.html#sustainer

I'm not sure how easy it would be to duplicate this system, but the basic design is not terribly complicated. If you have seen the interior of a Moog guitar, it is quite complex. The Roland system, by contrast, basically consists of six amplifiers, grounded frets, and two magnets.

Elantric

Great Article Wayne!

this sorts out much of the voodoo of the old GR-500

vanceg

That is really cool! 

I've JUST received a new hexaphonic sustainer from Aescher Europe (the D1 Drone) which functions somewhat differently (more like 6x ebows) and attaches to the guitar or can be installed like a Sustainiac.... That's going to be my "budget" 6 string sustainer ;-) 

It looks like the roland was, indeed, basically 6x sustainiacs - very cool.

vanceg

Quote from: vanceg on May 13, 2015, 08:45:29 PM
That is really cool! 

I've JUST received a new hexaphonic sustainer from Aescher Europe (the D1 Drone) which functions somewhat differently (more like 6x ebows) and attaches to the guitar or can be installed like a Sustainiac.... That's going to be my "budget" 6 string sustainer ;-) 

It looks like the roland was, indeed, basically 6x sustainiacs - very cool.

Update years later - The Aescher Europe device that I received in 2015 didn't work on my instrument as well as I had wanted.  I'm hoping in the future they will have another option.  Apparently, this issue of getting infinate sustain on all 6 strings is harder than one might think.