headless scale length?

Started by teejay, March 24, 2014, 01:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teejay

HI all.
My KGB custom headless has a 24 3/4" scale length and a 3/4" 'dead' area between the string holder and nut.
I much, much prefer the feel to my other headlesses which are all the slightly longer scale
This guitar was bought second hand. To be honest, I wouldn't have specified this if it had been built for me, but if I ever have another built, I would do this again.
Is this a one off, or has anyone on here done the same?

BTW, if I ever do have another built, it WILL be by KGB, as I now own the best guitar I've ever played in nearly 40 years of playing.

Thoughts??

Regards,

TeeJay
Custom KGB headless, internal GK2a and sustainiac stealth plus. GR55 straight into PA.   Guitar out (COSM) feeding digitech VL4 vocal harmoniser.

Elantric

The scale length is the range of string between the Nut and the bridge

When the "non speaking" length of string is increased above the nut, and below the bridge, its alters the playability of the instrument.

Compare these guitars, and lets assume both have same brand  / type strings

Stienberger (25.5" scale length)
The string tension is higher on the Steinberger, because there is very short "non-speaking" string length

vs

Gibson L5 (25.5" scale length)
Much longer  "non-speaking" string length above the nut, and below the bridge, makes string bending more difficult, you need to bend further to reach the target pitch.   

Also I find tuning stability is greatly negatively impacted when the "non speaking"  length of string is too long,
because if you do any string bends, the string must micro traverse back and forth across the contact surfaces of the Nut and the Bridge saddle, and this friction makes the string get "stuck in the nut" if not lubricated properly. Most guitarist blame the tuners, when bulk of the problems is the nut is not cut at the correct dimension for your gauge string or not properly lubricated 

On guitars with a full locking system - (Floyd Rose) it takes less motion to bend strings up a whole tone.
Lots of reading on String tension

Headless68

I think it's just personal preference of what feels best to you - my headless guitars are 25.5 but I also have a 335 with a shorter scale & it feels completely different - I like them both for different things