VG-99 - Nut Driver - pure transistor distortion

Started by rolandvg99, September 16, 2013, 01:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandvg99

A somewhat crazy sound which should be used with care when not using headphones. Uses compressor->reverb->distortion->chorus (comb filter/phase cancelation).

The Nut Driver's Crackers
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

G

Smash

G

this is one of the coolest patches i've ever heard.... i've always loved the effect transistor has on guitars!

i try to get a bit of it in all my recordings by running my VG through the mic input in my 1979 reel to reel !

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

rolandvg99

Quote from: G on September 17, 2013, 02:32:53 PM
this is one of the coolest patches i've ever heard.... i've always loved the effect transistor has on guitars!

i try to get a bit of it in all my recordings by running my VG through the mic input in my 1979 reel to reel !

Thx.
I used a tape recorder back in the early eighties when I couldn't afford a distortion pedal. My first stomp box was a Ross Compressor (which still works), not exactly OD, but made a cool sustaining overdrive when coupled with my tape recorder.

G

Do you have any recordings you've done with those?  I'd love to hear them

rolandvg99

Sadly, no. That tape recorder broke down and was replaced by a T.C. Electronics Booster+Distortion in '86. Bought an Ibanez Metal Charger late '89. Had a small fet switch taped to my guitar for turning the TC on/off. These combined with an Alesis Quadraverb and a Peavey Pacer was taped for my bands first album back in '94.

G

rolandvg99

Quote from: G on September 20, 2013, 03:59:29 PM
do you have your 94 recordings anywhere?

Sorry for the late response, but I completely forgot about this. I have two songs posted on my soundcloud page:
Steal me away (K. Stokkan)
Can't get enough (M. Ralphs)

No tube in sight. The amp used is a rather plain Peavey Pacer 45 watt transistor amp.

mapperboy

Sorry if this is a stupid noob question, but when I import nutcracker.mid into VG Editor I get a high pitch squeal from my PC speakers before I write it to a '99 user slot. 
Is this normal?
"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

Elantric

That can happen when the VG-99 is not properly setup as a USB Audio Interface.

Read the VG-99 USb Driver installation instructions for your operating system

Installing USB Driver
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/board,17.0.html

More important info here:
VG-99 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0