Godin LGX-SA - reason for concern?

Started by lespauled, October 03, 2016, 06:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespauled

I have a Godin LGX-SA that I absolutely love.  While recording some tracks last night, I noticed that A string was significantly lower than the rest of the strings.  I didn't go too much into diagnosing the issue, other than going into the system settings and changing the sensitivity, so I could record my track.  The original sensitivity was at around 35 or so, and to compensate, I had to raise it to about 65-70.   

I was wondering if this is a reason for concern, especially since the guitar is under warranty,

admin

Piezo saddles changing sensitivity and output gain is often related to humidity under the saddle

Keep desiccant silica gel packages in your guitar case to help absorb excess humidity.

blindjammer2015

I actually had this issue on occasion, still do... and I think it may also be the GK cable itself. The cable I bought has been around for about a year, and only started being used regularly since I got the Godin... but unfortunately, it's not exactly the most maintained cable and doesn't fit firmly into the 13 pin output, instead wiggles a little, enough to be concerning... I've had the experience of one string, particularly my A string, being lower than everything else, and in my case it wasn't my piezo's problem, but the cable. Need to buy a new cable... they're just so darned expensive at least where I've seen them.

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

blindjammer2015

thanks. Will give that a try first, but also wondring why the cable is so easily jiggled about even when connected to my guitar... I haven't banged up the guitar at all, and double checked it when I first got it... but will try the process to for cleaning cables before replacing. Some of the more technical aspects are a little beyond me, though, but useful information to have and I do understand some of it.

Tony Raven

Quote from: admsustainiac on October 03, 2016, 07:32:57 AM
Piezo saddles changing sensitivity and output gain is often related to humidity under the saddle

Keep desiccant silica gel packages in your guitar case to help absorb excess humidity.
The LGX is an h-h solidbody.

Most guitar owners are better advised to keep the instruments properly humidified so that wood doesn't split or glue turn brittle or whatever. Few players are likely to intentionally risk permanently damaging a Godin.

FWIW, once a desiccant packet is exposed to air, it begins pulling in water. A new packet is less than half the weight of one that's been exposed to open air for a week; that weight is water locked up in the silica beads. Leave a packet out for a month & it might look downright bloated, the swollen beads straining at the shell.

If humidity is actually a significant problem, as living in a tropical climate or aboard an oceangoing ship, then likely better to rack the guitar between sessions in a small closed room (closet, say) with a dehumidifier.

lespauled

I forgot I never updated this thread....sorry.

I sent Godin Customer Service an email, regarding my issue, and a possible RMA.  They sent me a list of things to try:

Replace battery (it was already new, so I didn't replace it)
Clean the RMC pickups with alcohol
Take out the saddle, and twist slightly and put it back in.
...a few other things.

Since I didn't want to test each individual one, I ran through all the steps, and the guitar is working as it should.  It still doesn't take away my concerns for the RMC pickups longevity, but it's working for now.