midi hold question

Started by mercury1, July 11, 2019, 09:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mercury1

This is probably a stupid question but if you were to break the data pin connection of a midi controllers output while playing a sound would that act as a midi hold type 2. I was figuring that by breaking the connection and no new info being received, the sound module would continue to play the last sound,but I guess the real question is would reconnecting the data pin be seen as a note off message or would it be stuck till powering off. The controller doesn't have a midi in and I would like to keep control onboard
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

admin

Quote from: mercury1 on July 11, 2019, 09:06:43 AM
This is probably a stupid question but if you were to break the data pin connection of a midi controllers output while playing a sound would that act as a midi hold type 2. I was figuring that by breaking the connection and no new info being received, the sound module would continue to play the last sound,but I guess the real question is would reconnecting the data pin be seen as a note off message or would it be stuck till powering off. The controller doesn't have a midi in and I would like to keep control onboard

Many MIDI TOne Modules rely on MIDI Active Sensing  -

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/active-sensing/
A MIDI message sent by some MIDI devices all the time to confirm that they are still there and hasn't gone off line. It carries no other information and hasn't been widely implemented in the industry. It comes from the early days of MIDI when some companies thought that if MIDI was interrupted it would be a good idea for instruments to change all notes to an off state. When implemented, a MIDI device will usually wait about 300 ms for the active sensing signal to confirm MIDI information is still being sent. If it is not received within this time limit, all notes are shut off and the operation is returned to normal.

mercury1

Thanks, that's good to know. I was going to cut a cable apart to experiment having seen that just unpluging the cable kills the sound after a short delay but I thought that was because the voltage was gone also.
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

gumtown

if the module ignores active sensing,
the note or notes will remain stuck on until a note off message is received for each note,
or a global reset midi command is issued (midi panic), or patch change is received.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mercury1

So in order to kill the note or notes playing you would have to replay those same notes not different ones as they would just overlap otherwise. Too bad there isn't a low tech way to suspend the note off messages to achieve the same result. Thanks for the info

gumtown

Does your sound module have a "Hold" option built in? some do.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mercury1

Yes, but i don't have a midi input to use for a controller and i'm using a bluetooth ble on the midi out

admin

List your specific MIDI Gear (Make/Model) you seek to employ a "MIDI SOSTENUTO" (Hold)
QuoteOk I finally worked up a procedure for hold function with the Gr-1 under this situation

http://cincinnatinote.blogspot.com/2015/03/constructing-virtual-midi-sostenuto.html

mercury1

i'm using the casio Mg-510 with the bluetooth ble wirelessly into android phone running fluidsynth midi app + midi player app into usb otg dongle with usb to midi adapter into roland gr-1 and it all works . I was trying to find a way to have the hold cc#69 onboard the guitar like a momentary switch. I have the hold working on the gr-1 but it has to be in play mode which requires having a gk pickup plugged up and all so patch changes wont work from the guitar. Its all kind of impractical if can't find a way to have the hold on the guitar itself. i just thought that there might be some hack for hold or sustain as most midi controllers have a sustain. i have looked at the schematic and seeing that the octave and patch change  are available on the guitar there could possibly be a way to get it to work.