GR-55 - Bagpipes

Started by trjohns1, May 12, 2011, 11:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trjohns1

The bagpipe patch has some potential on the GR-55 but also needs some work. I've found that turning chromatic off lets you bend notes like some uillean pipers do. I also turned down the level on the lower strings and set the ctl to hold so it will latch and sustain a drone while I play over it. Descent sound but there is one problem.

The sound has some sort of short duration attack going on, but it's long enough that you can't play jigs and reels up to dance tempo, because this attack thing is still executing while you are on to the next note. I want to shorten that time. I've gone through the various portamento, filter and LFO filter times and none seem to shorten that initial time.

Does anyone have any idea how to adjust this patch for fast playing?

dnedwek

One thing to try is setting the TVA (Time-Varying Amplifier) Attack parameter to a negative number. In some of the PCM patches this makes the note-on event start playing back "into" the sample.

trjohns1

Thanks, dnedwek. That did not fix it, though it's an interesting option I did not know existed.

pappywatts

You know the definition of a Gentleman is:-  " A man who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't "

sic...Spike Milligan
Yeah I got one of those Smart phones, trouble is it's smarter than the owner....

Variax Kit:JTV69 +GK3,JTV59P +GK2a.
Carvin SH575, Fender Strat USA Roland Ready, Godin ACSA Multiac Nylon usb model.
GR55,GR30,GP-10, VGA7,Baggs Acoustic Reference, Zinky Green Velveteen 18w,JTM45 Head.Yamaha DXR10

bryanz

I'm going through some old topics--if you're there and paying attention, would you care to post what you've come up with?

CodeSmart

Quote from: bryanz on September 04, 2015, 03:28:55 PM
I'm going through some old topics--if you're there and paying attention, would you care to post what you've come up with?
Me to interested, Uillean pipes would be great. A pity it's not in the GR-55 PCM sound bank.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumtown

Searching for a GR-55 Bagpipes example or patch, but not yet found one.
I think I am going to have to do it (have a try).
I seem to recall my GR-20 used to have a better bagpipes, with drones included.
If found the GR-55 PCM Tone for bagpipe (#391), but it only has the chanter, so it is as labelled "bagpipe", just the singular pipe.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Here is a guitar mode attempt,
Use the CTL to latch on a PCM drone note hold.
Then the EXP pedal cross-fades from heel down for regular guitar, to toe down for bagpipes, and also does a pitch bend like the pipes are being filled with air initially.

I should have labelled it "bag of screaming cats"

whippinpost91850

Thanks I'll give this a try as soon as I get off work